Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Latest on Derek McInnes

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 am

The English Championship side fired Dave Jones last week after he failed to lead them into the Premier League and McInnes is in the frame to replace him. Roberto Di Matteo, Lee Clark, Chris Hughton, Malky Mackay and Mark Robins are believed to be the other contenders.

Several of those candidates have already been interviewed but McInnes has not, as he is on a family holiday. Perth chairman Geoff Brown reported last night that nobody from Cardiff has been in touch with him about his manager.

The 40-year-old turned down the job with League One side Brentford FC a few weeks ago. He has also been linked with Nottingham Forest FC, should they part company with Billy Davies, as has been rumoured.

Cardiff have said they hope to appoint a new manager next week. Bluebirds chief executive Gethin Jenkins said, "In line with the stature of the club today, it's no surprise that the level of interest in the position has been high.

"Over the last week we have held discussions with representatives of interested parties and have consulted with various football experts to get feedback on potential candidates.

"We will now take the next steps towards appointing a manager who we feel can take our club forward. Our work will continue this week, from which a full announcement will be made on an appointment, which could be next week.

"I'm sure all Cardiff City supporters would like an announcement made as soon as possible, but based on the importance of the decision it's imperative that we consider all factors in the best interest of our club.

"Until the appointment is made it would be inappropriate for us to discuss speculation or confirm whether we have met any specific candidates."

Brown, meanwhile, believes it would be a "massive gamble" for Cardiff, were they to turn to McInnes. He would expect tried and tested Championship title winner Hughton to be the favourite.

From a Saints perspective, Brown has admitted that this latest bout of speculation is most unwelcome. He said, "It doesn't do us any good. We're in the process of trying to put a squad together for next season and that isn't helped if every time a job comes up Derek's linked with it.

"Players will wonder how long he's going to be here."

Re: Latest on Derek McInnes

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 am

where is this from?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am

Its from the Dundee Courier :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 am

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Footb ... innes.html :) :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 am

He's done a decent job there since taking over from Owen Coyle but I think he'd be a massive gamble and a letdown for the fans who are expecting a bigger name. This is the only mention I have seen in any Scottish press linking him with us but he seems to get linked to every other vacancy that comes up. Worth noting that his sides don't concede too much but had big problems scoring last season.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am

Overthemoon wrote:http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/14677/cardiff-city-interested-in-st-johnstone-boss-derek-mcinnes.html :) :ayatollah:

If flying back from holiday and having an interview and then flying back out again constitutes no contact then i can confirm there has been no contact :D

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am

steve davies wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/14677/cardiff-city-interested-in-st-johnstone-boss-derek-mcinnes.html :) :ayatollah:

If flying back from holiday and having an interview and then flying back out again constitutes no contact then i can confirm there has been no contact :D

Is he a strong contender Steve ?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm

mrbluejay wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Is he a strong contender Steve ?

For the life of me i dont understand why if both managers are available they have not appointed either hughton or de matteo by now.
both managers have taken a championship side into the premier league so have an idea what it take's to achieve promotion
We will most certainly be going for promotion this season and i have every reason to believe the new manager will have significant funds available to him to ensure that happens.
This is my worry about the way the manager is being appointed if you appoint either hughton or de matteo its shows to me a sign of intent and ambition wheras with no disrespect to the other contenders if one of them is appointed you would think that the club has done it on the cheap.
also out of all the contenders who is likely to attract decent players to the club.
the answer is houghton and de matteo.
absolute no brainer so hurry up gethin ffs

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Is he a strong contender Steve ?[/quote]

For the life of me i dont understand why if both managers are available they have not appointed either hughton or de matteo by now.
both managers have taken a championship side into the premier league so have an idea what it take's to achieve promotion
We will most certainly be going for promotion this season and i have every reason to believe the new manager will have significant funds available to him to ensure that happens.
This is my worry about the way the manager is being appointed if you appoint either hughton or de matteo its shows to me a sign of intent and ambition wheras with no disrespect to the other contenders if one of them is appointed you would think that the club has done it on the cheap.
also out of all the contenders who is likely to attract decent players to the club.
the answer is houghton and de matteo.
absolute no brainer so hurry up gethin ffs[/quote]

Agree to a certain extent, though Owen Coyle would have been overlooked if you follow your logic. Great to hear we will be going for it though. Di Matteo for me :ayatollah: