Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gas Prices

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 am

Hot on the heals of yesterdays increase by Scottish Power, I have had a letter through from British Gas stating that I can lock my price until March 2013.

The cost of this, a 25% premium on their standard tariff!!!!

Where will all this end? :evil:

Re: Gas Prices

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 am

Gas prices are really worrying.
My parents are both elderly and they couldnt afford to use the Central heating last year.
I know its worrying them to death literally.
Something has got to give with these prices surely
:ayatollah: :cry:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 am

TheMortgageAdvisor wrote:Hot on the heals of yesterdays increase by Scottish Power, I have had a letter through from British Gas stating that I can lock my price until March 2013.

The cost of this, a 25% premium on their standard tariff!!!!

Where will all this end? :evil:

It wont., unless you move to Russia.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

Solid fuel burners are the way to go, anyone interested give me a shout as my mate has agency.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 am

THE ONES NOT TO MISS 8 June 2011
Urgent! Scot Power hikes gas 19%, elec 10%. FIX NOW!
Adds £175/year - rest almost certain to follow | If you can't afford hikes FIX before they disappear

We've been yelling for months that big energy price rises are coming, yet Scottish Power's average 19% gas and 10% electricity hikes announced yesterday, hitting 1 August, are even bigger and sooner than expected. It'll hammer 2.4m on all standard, prepaid and online variable tariffs, but not fixed or capped deals (see Scottish Power hikes news).

Energy companies are like sheep - others will follow. Scottish Power has opened the door for the other Big 6 to hike. Expect announcements within the next two months (unless one plays the 'we'll hold our prices until October' game to gain customers short term). So everyone should act.
A typical home's average cost per year
Scottish Power std (after rise) £1,390
Other firms' std (today's rates) c. £1,150
Cheapest fixes c. £1,000
Cheap online deals (today's rates) c. £930
Fix NOW if you can't afford rises. A fix guarantees your rate won't rise for a set period, eg, two years. The table shows the cost for a typical home. The millions on standard tariffs will typically save £150+ a year fixing even before price hikes.

While online deals look cheaper now, they are still subject to price rises, and even an 8% hike, far less than Scottish Power's would see them being more expensive than fixes. And while more rises aren't 100%, if the thought of price hikes are a nightmare, a fix effectively is an insurance policy against them.
Now means NOW! In the past, once price hikes were announced, the cheapest fixes were soon pulled and replaced with more expensive ones. Add the fact a switchover can take two mths, it means if you're going to fix, speed's crucial.
How to find your cheapest fix (and get cashback). Plug your details into a comparison site & click the 'show only fixed tariffs' tab: Top Comparison: Energyhelpline* pays £15 cashback per switch whether to gas or electricity or both. Dual Fuel: MoneySupermarket* pays £30 cash, Uswitch* a crate of wine, SimplySwitch* £40 cash.

You can also compare for the cheapest variable tariff that way too. if you don't want a fix - except two new deals aren't available to switch via comparison sites, so manually add in EDF's Online S@ver v10* and, the bizarrely named, Scottish Power Direct (its site's temperamental).

Full info, help for prepaid customers & cashback in the Updated Guide: Cheap Gas & Elec Related: Energy Grants

http://www.energyhelpline.com/energy/rg ... px?aid=107

http://www.simplyswitch.com/moneysaving ... ge_ab.html

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/ ... ine-offer/