Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DOES ANYONE AGREE THAT GJ IS A GOOD CHIEF EXECT?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:11 pm

I think so.

It winds me up when people say that he's a egg chaser

HE'S A BUSINESS MAN

He knows what he's doing, and has impressed me during his time here

In my opinion, the longer they take to get the manager the better, as he is ensuring he gets the right man

Would someone who didnt no what they were doing, would just think bugger it, he'll do!!

He's doing the right thing, so get off his back, and support him as he is part of our team aswell
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: DOES ANYONE AGREE THAT GJ IS A GOOD CHIEF EXECT?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Could not give a shit if he is an egg chaser I think he is doing a good job for us and that's all that matters

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:32 pm

He is doing good :ayatollah:

taking his time, mulling everything over, making sure the right man is selected.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Warning - incoming Milly, incoming Milly :lol:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:01 pm

glammy74 wrote:I think so.

HE'S A BUSINESS MAN

In my opinion, the longer they take to get the manager the better, as he is ensuring he gets the right man

Would someone who didnt no what they were doing, would just think bugger it, he'll do!!

He's doing the right thing, so get off his back, and support him as he is part of our team aswell

I disagree for a couple of reasons
firstly he had no control over jones and would go as far as to say was in awe of him. To my way of thinking the boro game showed his inability to control or discipline the players or manager.
At the very least i would have expected the two loan players bywater and JLS to be sent back to their parent clubs for the gross breach of discipline.
Chopra and Bothroyd should have both been fined publicly so that at least the fans could see that they were being punished for their lack of respect for the club, its fans, and its manager.
secondly i think the whole process of selecting the new manager has dragged on to long. I am afraid that he might go down the road of choosing a manager who will not cost the club to much in wages in an effort to appease the clubs owners.
The reality of the situation is that either hughton or de matteo should have been employed by now as that would have sent a message of intent and ambition to get promoted to the premier league.
I am afraid anything less than those two will in the supporters eyes look like consolidation only and is not what is needed bearing in mind whats happened down west.
The supporters need a huge boost and hughton or de matteo will give it.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:10 pm

I like his press dealings.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Merlin wrote:Warning - incoming Milly, incoming Milly :lol:

:lol: :lol:
hes fantastic :D ;)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 pm

milly44 wrote:
Merlin wrote:Warning - incoming Milly, incoming Milly :lol:

:lol: :lol:
hes fantastic :D ;)

Newport boys always stick together!!!!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 pm

dont start ruislep :lol:

its true though, Milly,Gethin and Forever Blue = Newport friends for life 8-)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 pm

steve davies wrote:

HE'S A BUSINESS MAN

firstly he had no control over jones and would go as far as to say was in awe of him. To my way of thinking the boro game showed his inability to control or discipline the players or manager.
At the very least i would have expected the two loan players bywater and JLS to be sent back to their parent clubs for the gross breach of discipline.
Chopra and Bothroyd should have both been fined publicly so that at least the fans could see that they were being punished for their lack of respect for the club, its fans, and its manager.
secondly i think the whole process of selecting the new manager has dragged on to long. I am afraid that he might go down the road of choosing a manager who will not cost the club to much in wages in an effort to appease the clubs owners.
The reality of the situation is that either hughton or de matteo should have been employed by now as that would have sent a message of intent and ambition to get promoted to the premier league.
I am afraid anything less than those two will in the supporters eyes look like consolidation only and is not what is needed bearing in mind whats happened down west.

I don't think you know what the job of a Chief Executive is Mr Davies.

Changing manager was a risk int he first place mid-season, could have been a very succesful risk, but it was just as much of a risk of doing worse even remember.

1) But anyway, it's not his job to sack him, he's not the one paying, although he has a say, the Malaysians were responsible in sacking him surely, so no control over him is nothing to do with him.

2) It's not his job to send loan players back, it was blatantly up to Dave Jones and possibly the chairman to decide if they wanted them to stay after the antics, it was down to DJ, and anyway we needed a keeper as well, even though sometimes I'd rather no-one to be in goal than Bywater, he had to. I know we had Jason Brown but let's face it we never saw him play and also DJ and the coaches saw them train every day and obviously thought Bywater was better, so quite glad we didn't see Brown, plus he;s 5ft 10... It would have been a risk to play an unfit Heaton.

3) Again, it was Down to DJ if he ad the bottle to fine or discipine the players, he obviously had a lack of discipline, it was mainly down to him, he lost the dressing room as many had said, and judging by the performances, I'm not suprised.

4) Fair point, but to be honest we haven't missed out on anyone have we, Big Sam but his wages as Annis has mentioned was out of the question, plus I don't think he'd have had a great impact here, although Di Matteo and Hughton are obviously quality managers, getting them won't guarantee success, it wil just give us a greater chance. If we do go down the cheaper option there are some options available remember, and I'm sure you'll back them all the way, look at Reading for example, Brian Mcdermott, quality manager, who got found as a physio at Reading.

5) Regarding more cheap options,look at the success of Lambert at Norwich, his first job was Livingston, from June to Febuary he won only 2 games, look what he's become, Lambert, before Norwich had never been promoted before, so why not look at some managers from League 1 or the Scottish Leagues, nice to have a change and experiment although preferbably we'd always prefer Di Matteo or Hughton, you never know.

Malky Mackay could be similar to Brendan Rodgers, floating around the Championshop before finding a club that suited him, and I'm sure our club is very attarctive to many, so don't get too dissapointed if we don't get a big name, although we'd prefer them, the issue is would they be able to control a dressing room full of the likes of Chopra, Bellers, Quin ;) etc etc. Lambert took control of a average Norwich side in League 1who had potential and not too much expectation, McDermott obviously kne all the players from his time at physio, and our minimum expectation is Premier League. Neil Warnock, Ian Hollowayy, joined teams who weren't expecting promotion too much after their previous seasons, at QPR they had money and some individuals like Taarabt etc, and Warnock controlled them, and this is why we need someone in the mould of him imo.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm not sure that the amount of time taken over selecting a manager will make that much difference in regards of him being the right man for the job. I'm also not that convinced that overall he is doing that good a job although I don't think he is doing a bad job.

My concern is that in fact he takes to long over making decisions like the DJ situation he should have dealt with that in a few days not 14 days. Everyone knew DJ was a dead man walking after the borough defeat what with lashgate and DJ still insisting on selecting the guilty players, add to that the season imploding against Reading and it wasn't a difficult decision.

Those lost 14 days are the reason we haven't got a manager in place and that is going to mean the club will be chasing players after pre season begins and again we will be playing catch up. Also he would have known months ago about the FL Annual General Meeting so he should have considered that before he sat reviewing last season, that review should have been 30 seconds ending with a thanks DJ but no thanks.

If he had done that IMO our new manager would be in place today. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm

I think its too early to make a judgement yet. I dont doubt he is a capable businessman, who is a professional, but his lack of football background worries me and I wonder just how qualified he is to deal with football matters. So far he hasnt done too much wrong and seems a likeable bloke but im reserving my judgement for now

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Woooowww, The Malysians made the decision of Jones sacking, probably because they had to travel from Malaysia or something, GJ dosen't get the final decision, he's looking for a new manager because he knows far more than the Malaysians about Npower Championship and general Football Managers!!!!!!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm

steve davies wrote:

HE'S A BUSINESS MAN

Spot on Steve :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm

May I ask how is that possibly spot on, some good points but really, my post above answers most of it tbh, can't believe we're getting ont he back of the chief exec now as well!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:28 pm

The CEO is responsible for executing the strategy agreed by the Board and developing the Company objectives through leadership of the senior executive team. He will recommend to the Board any investment or new business opportunities which meet this strategy. He also ensures that the Companies risks are adequately addressed and appropriate internal controls are in place. The CEO is responsible for meeting with shareholders and ensuring effective communication.

Pretty bulk standard description of a CEO role in a business so if you want to consider GJ performance consider that against events this year.

Clearly his role was to execute the objectives of the business which was to achieve promotion through leadership of the senior executive team, in a football club the manager would be consider a member of the executive team.

Question in the relationship between DJ and GJ who was the leader and who was getting led?

Certainly the lack of action against players who quite clearly went against the direct instructions of the manager comes under the risk to objectives, and as the CEO is responsible for ensuring internal controls are in place to address issues well GJ again doesn't appear to come out of this well.

Just another way of asking if e has done a good job or not. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:30 pm

He hasnt done anything wrong at the moment - if he is qualified for the job then he will do - ex-egg or not. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Damned Yank wrote:I like his press dealings.

GJ Has much to learn in regards to Press dealings' and definitely needs to gain more experience in the art of Spin Doctoring, And I believe the way GJ/CCFC have set about appointing a new manager has been very naive, embarrassing even pathetic, ie If Chris Hughton was to be the eventual Club choice, They could well have been scuppered by a too good to refuse offer from Fullham if requested by M Y, Dithering can be very costly in football, Ok it is the norm to publicly show interest in one or two potential managers, But to publicly announce or Spin a continual hat full of names this long is ridiculously poor and the popular names in contention could quite easily be offended by the Club's time wasting on lesser candidates. As for MON/ S A etc etc.. All spun with the Clubs approval was only bought mainly by the plastics who's view's are easier bought, What some have overlooked that if it was true that the big managerial names were genuine, also accepting you get what you pay for with most managers, Then the only assumption we can take in them not coming to Cardiff was apart from being happy with the wage offer, Not being prepared to put Their reputation on the line with the lack of funds available and expected to perform miracles. If I appear to be a pessimist or a happy spoiler, please forgive Me, its just that i love percolated coffee and I love the smell!!! :old:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Reccomend to the board investment OPPORTUNITIES.

NOT FIRING PLAYERS, SACKING MANAGERS ETC down to the Manager/Chairmen

So whye exactly are we having a go at GJ exactly ffs, shocking.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm

CCFC 24 wrote:Reccomend to the board investment OPPORTUNITIES.

I didn't say fire players but he could of course fined the players in line with PFA Agreements 2 weeks pay for that lot what £100k+.

Like I said I don't think he has done a bad job but I really do believe he is a little to considered in making his decisions, DJ was an easy one should not have taken 2 weeks IMO he should have explained to the Owners look we need to move on this to give me enough time before I will have to go to Cyprus for the FL AGM.

Just an example of how he could do the job better - Just my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm

CCFC 24 wrote:Woooowww, The Malysians made the decision of Jones sacking, probably because they had to travel from Malaysia or something, GJ dosen't get the final decision, he's looking for a new manager because he knows far more than the Malaysians about Npower Championship and general Football Managers!!!!!!

So who actually called jones in and dismissed him then
that would have been gethin simply because the malaysians did not think they had to fly all the way from malaysia to sack jones when they had employed a CEO to carry out those duties.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm

I guess we should have moved quicker but I stil don't think he had much responsibility, should have been down to the board of directors and malaysians, not just Gethin, so really not sure why everyone's making a fuss, thought he's proffessional person especially involved in the Bellers deal.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

steve davies wrote:
CCFC 24 wrote:Woooowww, The Malysians made the decision of Jones sacking, probably because they had to travel from Malaysia or something, GJ dosen't get the final decision, he's looking for a new manager because he knows far more than the Malaysians about Npower Championship and general Football Managers!!!!!!

So who actually called jones in and dismissed him then
that would have been gethin simply because the malaysians did not think they had to fly all the way from malaysia to sack jones when they had employed a CEO to carry out those duties.

Remember reading Annis/maybe Carl posts a while back.

DJ got called in to see the Malaysians to deliver his next season's ambitions, probably after they had flown in, then got suddenly sacked after also revealing his plans to his staff :lol:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:47 pm

CCFC 24 wrote:I guess we should have moved quicker but I stil don't think he had much responsibility, should have been down to the board of directors and malaysians, not just Gethin, so really not sure why everyone's making a fuss, thought he's proffessional person especially involved in the Bellers deal.

It's just opinions but I notice you're moving a little towards our point of view there - good man ;)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I dont exactly think vincent tan needs advice off gethin on investement opportunities do you.
So who was exactly in control regarding disciplinary measures then.
If you say the sacking is down to the managerchairman well then surely if jones had wanted anyone hauled over the coals as CEO gethin would have done that on the clubs behalf.
No one is having a go at gethin a simple question was asked and an answer and reasons given.
I stand by my opinion that he does not have the knowledge or experience of football to be making a make or break decision on the next manager along with a director who also has no background in football.
There has obviously been a problem because outside help has been brought in over the weekend.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

steve davies wrote:

I dont exactly think vincent tan needs advice off gethin on investement opportunities do you.
So who was exactly in control regarding disciplinary measures then.
If you say the sacking is down to the managerchairman well then surely if jones had wanted anyone hauled over the coals as CEO gethin would have done that on the clubs behalf.
No one is having a go at gethin a simple question was asked and an answer and reasons given.
I stand by my opinion that he does not have the knowledge or experience of football to be making a make or break decision on the next manager along with a director who also has no background in football.
There has obviously been a problem because outside help has been brought in over the weekend.

1) Well as someone copied and pasted earlier, that is the CEO job.
2) Who was in conrol of the discipline measure, = quite obvious DJ was the one who should have installed discipline into the side, and fined players.
3) No because Gethin most probably dosen't have the right to sack DJ solely based on his decision, would probably have to have THE BOARD'S opinion as well as the chairman obviously, as in some cases the chairman has a good relationship with the manager etc.
4) No one having a go but their criticizing without having the opportunity of knowing much about the man.
5) Exactly, one he hasn't the experience to sack him, and 2 look up a bit on this post and you'll see
6) But then again, of what I've seen he's been fairly proffessional
7) Source?