Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CCFC MANAGER: CANDIDATE BREAKDOWN "

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Following all the speculation, here's my short opinion on each candidate, with a rating and who would be my choice.

Chris Hughton: No doubt he did a great job at Newcastle, and worked well with Martin Jol at Tottenham. Whether he can cut it at a brand new club, with different players, is another question. I think he is a good manager. 8/10.

Roberto Di Matteo: A really good manager, in my opinion. Did a great job at both WBA and MK Dons. Really a manager who I think will be big in the future. One to keep your eye on. Will he get the City job? I'm not sure. Still very inexperienced. 8/10.

Malky Mackay: Done a very good job at Watford, but he is respected by everyone there and knows everyone, as he was a player there. It would be a massive step for him to come to another club. Everything would change, it would be a whole different surrounding for him. 7/10.

Martin O'Neill: The outstanding candidate, no doubt at all. However, I can't see him coming to our club unfortunately. I expect he is waiting for a top division club, maybe he was hoping for the Fulham job. His transfer ambitions, and salary demands would be too much for us. One of the best managers in the UK. 10/10.

Derek McInnes: Some people would be dissappointed. However, I wouldn't be. He has done a great job in Scotland, like many before him. Those who have done well in Scotland, have often come to our division and done fantastic. A good candidate. 9/10.

Mark Robins: Not for me. Did a good job at Rotherham, but still failed to take them up. Didn't do too bad at Barnsley, but I did find it strange that he left. Hadn't been there for an awful long time. Think he'll get a lower division Championship job at some point. Not for us, though. 6/10.

Alan Shearer: Definitely not. Very little experience, no recognisable talent as a manager. Why would he come here when he's getting paid a good amount of money to be a pundit for the BBC? No thanks, not now. 5/10.

The verdict: Despite their ratings, Mackay, Hughton and Di Matteo are strong candidates. I believe any one of those three or Derek McInnes. Whoever gets it, we have to support 110% and hopefully take the Bluebirds on to great heights. I trust Gethin and the board to get the right man.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " CCFC MANAGER: CANDIDATE BREAKDOWN "

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Hughton or Di Matteo for me. I think getting a new mananger in that knows what it takes to get promoted to the prem is a crucial factor. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Excellent post. Can't disagree with anything. Don't know anything about McInnes though. Er, where is he now ? :?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Worcester - What do you think of the chances of Hughes - Zola - Clark and the 2nd day Fav Ardley...to name just 4 :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:14 am

Di Matteo for me :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:19 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Worcester - What do you think of the chances of Hughes - Zola - Clark and the 2nd day Fav Ardley...to name just 4 :ayatollah:

I personally don't think that any of those four will come into the running, although I wouldn't be at all dissappointed with Hughes or Clark :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 pm

With us having to pay off DJ, I can't see us paying any compensation to another club, which would rule out McKay and McInnes, not sure why Alan Shearer is even mentioned, MON I suspect was pie in the sky(hope I'm wrong), which leaves, Robins, Hughton and DiMatteo. Mark Hughes is not allowed to manage another club for around a month yet, surely we wouldn't leave it that long(he could set things up in the background) but something he fancied made him change his mind at the last minute at Fulham. Somebody must be pulling the strings at the moment otherwise we wouldn't have sold Chops which means somebody could also be recruiting. Sooner this is sorted out the better.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Galway Bluebird wrote:With us having to pay off DJ, I can't see us paying any compensation to another club, which would rule out McKay and McInnes, not sure why Alan Shearer is even mentioned, MON I suspect was pie in the sky(hope I'm wrong), which leaves, Robins, Hughton and DiMatteo. Mark Hughes is not allowed to manage another club for around a month yet, surely we wouldn't leave it that long(he could set things up in the background) but something he fancied made him change his mind at the last minute at Fulham. Somebody must be pulling the strings at the moment otherwise we wouldn't have sold Chops which means somebody could also be recruiting. Sooner this is sorted out the better.

chops being sold surely means some 'football' brain is making decisions, then again, if chops wanted to go, then GJ could have decided. none of us know anything, its annoying we have to wait so long
hughes leaving fulham as he says he is ambitious, why would he come to cardiff? i cant see it personally yet nothing would surprise me being a city fan.
im sure the owners/board have something up their sleeve to catch us all out :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Who has actually been interviewed?
Any news from club insiders yet?
Zola or odriscoll would suit me

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Di Matteo vs Hughton: Looking at stats, Hughton wins. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Whoever it is will need time, not only to get players in but to get them to gel.

He may have a style that he wants to impose that could also take time (well he should be looking at players to suit that style), he may also need to get rid of those he doesn't want.

Lets just hope if we are below 12th by Christmas that no-one gets his back.

Keep away from the bottom places will be fine this year, anything higher a bonus.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Just wish they would hurry up and appoint the new man cant wait any longer