Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Heard A Whisper, By Someone Who Works in Pro Football

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:43 am

It's Robins or D'Matteo

Re: Heard A Whisper, By Someone Who Works in Pro Football

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:18 am

Hope its di matteo then.really hope its not robins.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:31 am

ngriffiths wrote:really hope its not robins.

Why?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:42 am

Because robins had never been in charge of a team challenging for promotion in championship,what has he achieved in management,he's a bottom of championship or league 1 at best.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:46 am

DaveSheffield wrote:
ngriffiths wrote:really hope its not robins.

Why?

I have to say that Robins wouldn't inspire me neither BUT I will still 'get behind' the manager whoever he might be :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:54 am

ngriffiths wrote:Because robins had never been in charge of a team challenging for promotion in championship,what has he achieved in management,he's a bottom of championship or league 1 at best.

Neither had Paul Lambert or Brendan Rogers before last season, and look where Norwich and Swansea are now :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:58 am

ngriffiths wrote:Because robins had never been in charge of a team challenging for promotion in championship,what has he achieved in management,he's a bottom of championship or league 1 at best.

Robins has improved the two clubs he has been at. Wasn't his fault he had no option to leave Barnsley as the board didn't have any funds to allow him to sign any decent players. I would like to see what he can do with a good sqaud. He tightened both teams up defensively as well while he was in charge. We need a manager who makes us hard to beat this season and stops us giving away sloppy goals. Robins would definitely be one of my leading choices in that respect.

Di Matteo will get us playing quick, crisp, attractive attacking football. But we will still be soft at the back. Personally, I am fed up with us being soft at the back. Therefore, I do not want Di Matteo, he will be another Dave Jones with his attitude of "let the opposition worry about us". In the Premiership, he was found out and I honestly believe if West Brom didn't sack him, he would have taken them back down. Even when West Brom got promoted from the Championship, they conceded goals, but at that level they had the class to outscore the opposition. If managing an average team where he needs to tactically set up his team to get a result, Di Matteo would fail in my opinion. On top of that, he has many Dave Jones traits, West Brom fans say he has no plan B, had fallings out with players etc.

My personal choice would be Hughton as he would tighten us up defensively. But if you asked me who I would rather out of Robins and Di Mattteo, I would choose Robins by a mile.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am

Paul Lambert took over norwich in league 1,and rodgers took over swansea with squad all in place,all he had to do was add a few players,we need total rebuilding and don't feel robins could do it.I just feel hughton or di matteo would attack better players and play football the right way.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am

ngriffiths wrote:Paul Lambert took over norwich in league 1,and rodgers took over swansea with squad all in place,all he had to do was add a few players,we need total rebuilding and don't feel robins could do it.I just feel hughton or di matteo would attack better players and play football the right way.

I think you're right in saying Hughton and Di Matteo would have more contacts than Robins. I just don't think Di Matteo is the man we need right now. Under Dave Jones we have been soft as shit at the back with a group of players who don't have the character, fight, passion and spirit to come back from a goal down. I worry we will be in the same situation with Di Matteo in charge.

I would rather us go for a manager who will make us organised and hard to beat. This is what the jacks did and adding Sinclair, Borini etc gave them that final push to score goals to win games and now they're in the Premiership. I hate comparing us with the jacks, but I think they've gone about things the right way, be defensively solid and hard to beat first, then bring in some attackers who can make the difference. Remember, if we keep the score 0-0, there's always a chance we can win the game.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

ngriffiths wrote:Paul Lambert took over norwich in league 1,

Yeah, and has taken them up to the Premiership. Surely that's a harder task than a Cardiff City side with everything geared towards Premiership football??

and rodgers took over swansea with squad all in place,all he had to do was add a few players,we need total rebuilding and don't feel robins could do it.I just feel hughton or di matteo would attack better players and play football the right way.

I agree about the Rogers bit although his two signings (Sinclair and Borini) were the difference, no matter how little Sinclair proved it when I watched them!

I'm not saying Robins should be everyone's first option, not by a long shot.

Hell, he's not mine.

I'm just saying, anybody writing off a man like him with youth on his side and not set in his ways (Like Toshack or Keegan would be, a negative thing for the club that would be imo) is quite foolish.

If he's the right man for the job we will hire him. It's that simple.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:49 am

If Robins gets the job I'll be gutted. There seem to be some strong candidates for it - he's not one of them.

If we hire him I would guess the playing budgets that have been bandied around for this season are wildly optimistic.

Robins will not get the fans excited, the jury will be out on him.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 am

I just feel it will be a backward step,and we won't even be near the playoffs with him in charge,but if he gets job he ll get my support and hope he proves me wrong.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 am

I couldn't give a f*** if the fans aren't excited.

I've read some fans would be excited with Kevin Keegan, ffs.

All I want is a manager who moulds a squad of individual players into a team.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Grangetown. End. wrote:If Robins gets the job I'll be gutted.

Why?

And the jury will have to be out on ANY manager we hire, and it SHOULD be for a season and a half to allow the new manager to create a team out of the bones of our squad and other players.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

nerd wrote:I couldn't give a f*** if the fans aren't excited.

I've read some fans would be excited with Kevin Keegan, ffs.

All I want is a manager who moulds a squad of individual players into a team.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Derick Brockway as manager is he thought he's mould a good competative squad, I just think out of the candidates mentioned he is the one who is probably the one would suggest a lower profile for the club Robins not Brockway), making it harder to attract players.

To be honest I was suprised Robins was connected to the job at all, I presume that he applied for it. Had he still been at Barnsley I doubt he was a manager we would have targeted.

For the record I wouldn't be excited about having Kevin Keegan as manager. I can think of nothing worse. He's an annoying f**k.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Just heard from the man who told me Bellamy was coming before anyone else that its none of the above.. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:07 pm

If it's Robins im in the money!!!!! 8-) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 pm

sam salim wrote:If it's Robins im in the money!!!!! 8-) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Could be McInnes

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/show ... hp?t=16065

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 pm

cmon Di Matteo!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: