Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LEAGUE ONE TEAMS!!!!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 am

will be subject to a wage cap next season after League One clubs agreed to introduce the scheme at the Football League’s annual meeting in Cyprus.

The system, called the Salary Cost Management Protocol , means clubs can spend only a fixed proportion of their total turnover on player wages.

It has been operating in League Two at a 60% threshold.

But will be reduced to 55% next season in Leagues One and Two.

Football League chairman Greg Clarke hailed the vote by the 72 clubs to adopt UEFA’s financial fair play system, as a decision that could change the landscape of football finances in England

Clubs who transgress the rules are likely to be handed a transfer ban as a first sanction with possible points deductions for major offenders.

Clarke said: “This could be a seminal event that reshapes football finances in England.

“The clubs are aware of the ground-breaking decision they have taken and we will work hard now to make it happen.”

Increasing levels of debt and a drop in television income saw the 72 Football League clubs agree to the system “in principle” at the League’s agm following a presentation by Andrea Traverso, UEFA’s head of club licensing and financial fair play.

The Football League’s move reflects concern over income - their new £195 million domestic TV deal is a 26% drop on the previous one.

Debt in Football League clubs now totals £700m and a report this week by analysts Deloitte found that more than one third of clubs are paying out more in wages than they received in revenue.

Clarke added: “It will help our clubs exert greater control over their finances.”

Do you think it will work, and should introduced into the Championship and premiership???? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: LEAGUE ONE TEAMS!!!!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:26 am

Does that mean 60% of what a side earns in a calendar year can be spent on player wages?

Will only work if it's club by club but will lead to inevitable discrepencies - especially with the pigs and the owls and the sides who will get bigger gates in League One - presumably Bradistan in League Two apply here as well.

As for the Premiershit they won't until they have to. If they had their way it'd be a closed shop and fook all to do with the football league I reckon.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 am

Im not quite sure Dave if it's a calender year or a financial year? :?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 am

sam salim wrote:Im not quite sure Dave if it's a calender year or a financial year? :?

Financial year's actually what I meant :oops: but it's all 12 months isn't it :lol:

Still a very interesting move that will be well worth keeping tabs on the facts and figures surrounding it.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 am

DaveSheffield wrote:
sam salim wrote:Im not quite sure Dave if it's a calender year or a financial year? :?

Financial year's actually what I meant :oops: but it's all 12 months isn't it :lol:

Still a very interesting move that will be well worth keeping tabs on the facts and figures surrounding it.

Don't baffel me Dave!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am

sam salim wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

Don't baffel me Dave!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's probably me who's baffled, this is still early morning for me :cry: :?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I thought champ teams have agreed also? I may be wrong :D