Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Hughton (Batton down the hatches), here I go..

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:52 pm

In the interests of fair play to one and all can someone tell me why, apart from being a thoroughly nice chap that Chris Hughton is wanted by so many fans.

Great number 2 to Martin Jol I do not dispute, but a manager?
Surely Steve Mclaren is a far better candidate if thats the case based on actual achievments.

Hughton was at Newcastle for a full season in the Championship and took them up, well done, promotion is promotion, but given the circumstances and the squad he had whilst it was an achievment, was it realy that spectacular, its not like he took them from league 1 to the Premiership on a shoe string ala Paul Lambert is it?

When Newcastle sacked him they were 11th.

After promotion they lost their 2 main friendlies and out of 18 games in the Premiership they won 6, lost 8 and drew 4.

Out of 8 home games they won just 2, lost 3 and drew 3.

In the run up to his dismisal Newcastle hadnt won for 5 games,

In those 5 games they lost 3 and drew 2, scoring 4 goals and conceding 11.

They won some big games but also lost and drew many which you would have expected them to win such as home games againt Stoke, Blackpool, Wigan and Fulham.

In my opinion, some people are coaches and should stay that way, if Hughton is appointed Manager of Cardiff City I will support him all the way, but to me, it would be a gamble, and one that I dont think would be right for the club at this moment in time.

Re: Chris Hughton (Batton down the hatches), here I go..

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 pm

I honestly think all the candidates have something to offer and we're very lucky to have them all interested. Hughton's man management skills are hugely appealing though. I think that's what is pulling favour towards him over others.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 pm

completely agree hughton does not have experience building a team we are down to the bear bones an need re-building quick !!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Zabier wrote:I honestly think all the candidates have something to offer and we're very lucky to have them all interested. Hughton's man management skills are hugely appealing though. I think that's what is pulling favour towards him over others.

I agree mate, Hughton certainly seems to have good man management skills, something that DJ was lacking in.

Thing is, that can also go the other way?

Your right, though, we are lucky to have such a high calibre of manager applying.

Iv just my mind about 25 times already on who I want.

I was dead against Di Mateo at the start but he's my number 1 choice at the moment :lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:07 pm

everyday-im-shuffling wrote:completely agree hughton does not have experience building a team we are down to the bear bones an need re-building quick !!

spot on

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:14 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
everyday-im-shuffling wrote:completely agree hughton does not have experience building a team we are down to the bear bones an need re-building quick !!

spot on

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:18 pm

agree

His achievements are minimal.

If he was that good he would have been snapped up by now.

He has to earn respect by managing a club over a longer period --gaining success wit hliited resources.

He is also a communist with a chip on his shoulder

Mackay for me

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm

no doubt given a decent sqaud and a nice budget to work with i would have said yes, but we are looking for a manager to get quality players in quick and cheap and are willing to give 100% for the manager im not saying CH isnt respected by players just that he has not done anything to gain huge respect from players.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Hughton is a number 2 man. A good assistant but not a leader in my opinion.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 pm

McInnes is growing on me after listening to some of his interviews and what other people have to say about him. Another Paul Lambert or Owen Coyle perhaps??

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Its nice to know that other agree with me.

I was having an argument, sorry debate :D with a fella the other day.

The fella was adamant that he didnt want Steve Mclaren under any circumstances, he's useles was his attitude.

The fella wanted Chris Hughton, he is the man he said..

I know people dont like Mclaren and Im not saying he is the man for the job but I thought this pro Hughton bloke was bonkers.

McLaren achievments as a number 2 absuolutely batter Hughtons.

And as a Manager, Mclaren took Boro to the Uefa Cup Final and won a League title in Holland.

I realy dont think people think of the facts when they come out with some stuff.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:46 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Hughton was at Newcastle for a full season in the Championship and took them up, well done, promotion is promotion, but given the circumstances and the squad he had whilst it was an achievment, was it realy that spectacular, its not like he took them from league 1 to the Premiership on a shoe string ala Paul Lambert is it?

Well he at least did something DJ couldn't do with our best squad ever!

At the end of the day we should support whoever gets appointed.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:48 pm

moonboots wrote:McInnes is growing on me after listening to some of his interviews and what other people have to say about him. Another Paul Lambert or Owen Coyle perhaps??

Can't see anyone resigning from Prem teams.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Snaag wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Hughton was at Newcastle for a full season in the Championship and took them up, well done, promotion is promotion, but given the circumstances and the squad he had whilst it was an achievment, was it realy that spectacular, its not like he took them from league 1 to the Premiership on a shoe string ala Paul Lambert is it?

Well he at least did something DJ couldn't do with our best squad ever!

At the end of the day we should support whoever gets appointed.

As I said in the post!