Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" FAVOURITE OFF THE PITCH PLAYER MEMORIES ? "

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:34 pm

During my time as a city fan ive been lucky enough to bump into some of our players when they have been out and about but my all time favourite memory occured around 6 years ago on my little brothers birthday. We were out in Number 10 on Mill Lane when we bumped into Willie Boland at the bar. My brother told WIllie it was his birthday so WIllie bought him a pint and invited us to join him and the rest of the players in the VIP. Soon we were sat with Kav, Alan Lee, Gary Croft, Rhys Weston and Cameron Jerome. We just sat and listened as they talked about the club and then we joined in some drinking games with them. My brother was taking pics with all of the players and when he went to take a pic of Alan Lee, who had two cigarettes in his mouth, i always remember Captain Kav telling him to take them out of his mouth and not get pictured with them. After spending a few hours chasing girls with Gary Croft we then got a taxi home with Cameron Jerome and stopped into Miss Milly's on the way. Great night and the photos are still on my old computer which I have to dig out!

Anyone else got any favourite memories with the city boys over the years ?

Re: " FAVOURITE OFF THE PITCH PLAYER MEMORIES ? "

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 pm

I remember one night in The Borough around 1993. Myself and a few mates saw Phil Stant and Kevin Ratcliffe at the bar getting stuck into the beers. Both players were shitfaced to say the least, in fact Stanty was falling about all over the show. We had a couple of pints with them and Stanty proceeded to tell us that the thing he liked about Cardiff City was that if we lost on the pitch, we'd batter the opposition off it ! He was one hell of a character and a full on nutter.

Another memory that sticks in my mind is bumping into Eddie May and Rick Wright in a hotel bar in Llandrindod Wells on the way back from a game at Wrexham towards the end of 1991/2. Both fellas were great and staying over for some football awards thing in Powys the following day. Rick Wright was a great sport and was ayatollahing like a real fan. He still maintained when we spoke to him though that he wasn't a City supporter at all and insisted that the club hadn't got under his skin. Eddie and Rick were great though and bought us all beers.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Does Dai Thomas count :dontknow: Or was that on the pitch :lol:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Our bus(Adar Glas) broke down at Chesterfield the day we clinched promotion 2- 1 I think, once the area was clear, the cops let us stroll back towards the stadium and we found the clubhouse which was literally a house. A few of the players came out and I think brought out a few beers(i know I didn't get one), I remember Bob Hatton and Roger Gibbins having a chat until our bus was fixed. It is a bit vague as we had quite a few pints up town earlier.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I remember me and a mate bumped into Mark Delaney after a Wales game. Ok, not a Cardiff player at the time but former player! We just verbally molested him with praise whilst he was on his phone and he kept having to apologise on our behalf because we kept saying things like 'you, Mark Delaney, are f*cking amazing!' and 'marry us Mark, together'. It was very drunken and very homoerotic.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm

watching my mother ask kevin keegan for his autograph and then ask who the man next to him was .... it was alan ball! .... and watching them both laugh! ..... it was during the time they both played for southampton!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Taking Jason Perry on the Away ends at Bristol City and Swansea Away, I could see the Real love and Passion he has for OUR CLUB :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:09 pm

It was on the pitch, but it wasn't when the ball was live....

We'd just scored against Swansea last season and Anthony Gerrard pointed to the Swansea fans, looked back at the Ninian Stand and rubbed his fists on his eyes pretending to cry acting as if he was a Swansea fan, was quality!

And as a side note, he is the exact type of player we need in the team! Personally its between Hudson or Keinan to play alongside him next season! :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:06 pm

I remember once walking through Canton (Wellington St I think its called), with my boy, on my way to the old club shop and bumped into Lenny Lawrence out on a run. He was leaning up against a fence puffing like a good 'un. In his defence it was a sweltering day but he looked f**ked. He just looked at me, smiled and said "Don't tell anyone" and carried on his way. My boy, who was young at the time, said "Who was that?" and I just said "Son, you don't want to know" :)

Another time I remember is picking Gary Stevens up off the stairs at the old Top Rank in Queen St during a CCFC awards night many years ago. He was off his face. Keith Pontin finally came and 'claimed' him and dragged him into the gents. :lol: