Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I am positive about Shearer

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Massive for our profile.
Written by Nigel Blues and I agree 100%

Will be respected by players (unlike DJ) and loved by fans once we come round to it.

Shearer won't settle for bringing in average players, the Board will have to back him to the hilt. To that end, getting him in is a huge sign of ambition.

He must have the contacts with every Prem club, managers, officials etc.

He's a thinker about the game and astute.

He's the type of manager we all hoped we'd get after Jones - younger, hungrier, ambitious.

He will be making a huge sacrifice giving up the 'easy life' on MotD to do this and that says a lot to me too.

I would have loved to have had Mackay but I'm really excited about Shearer.

really excited now can't wait for the new signings.

If it goes wrong, it will be a massive mistake by the owners and we will all moan and groan( ESPECIALLY Me lol) but this is our club A MAD CLUB...Only could happen at Cardiff :D :D :D :D

Re: I am positive about Shearer

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 pm

corky wrote:Massive for our profile.

Will be respected by players (unlike DJ) and loved by fans once we come round to it.

Shearer won't settle for bringing in average players, the Board will have to back him to the hilt. To that end, getting him in is a huge sign of ambition.

He's the type of manager we all hoped we'd get after Jones - younger, hungrier, ambitious.

He will be making a huge sacrifice giving up the 'easy life' on MotD to do this and that says a lot to me too.

If it goes wrong, it will be a massive mistake by the owners and we will all moan and groan( ESPECIALLY Me lol) but this is our club A MAD CLUB...Only could happen at Cardiff :D :D :D :D

i am excited to be honest :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 pm

100% agree :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Spot on Corky!

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Great post by Nigel there.

And yes we are mad :lol: :ayatollah:

Thinker and astute? He makes Lawrenson look like Stephen Hawking!

I agree, for an old bugger like me to be excited, it bodes well for the future. :old: ;) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:49 pm

nerd...give the guy a chance...you are likely to be 100% accurate...but lets not slag him off just yet he could prove the doubters wrong

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 pm

shearer wouldnt manage newcastle because of the pressure. he couldnt let them down. so here. its a job.so what if it goes tits up. still be a hero up north. its the malaysians money not mine. thank god. wrong decision in my opinion. but who am i :roll:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 pm

His success will depend alot on what players he brings in, so let him do his business over the Summer and we'll see what happens!

I really hope he can bring Nile Ranger on loan here though, he is quality and knows him.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Merlin wrote:His success will depend alot on what players he brings in, so let him do his business over the Summer and we'll see what happens!

I really hope he can bring Nile Ranger on loan here though, he is quality and knows him.

i was thinking that to but he had bad press from newcastle time keeping etc but maybe shearer could give him the kick up the ass he needs?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:58 pm

It has been really funny reading the many comments tonight - You have to laugh really, because this is what makes following Cardiff so crazy. I agree with Corky, having had time to reflect, you have to think of all the advantages of bringing Sheep Sheep Shearer in...The high profile, his contacts. The main point that makes me feel positive is that it would have been an easy option to stay on the match of the day sofa, but if he is prepared to take the risk you have to admire that. I would love to see Bellemy part of his plans - but that may not be possible ?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 pm

We get rid of a dull, egotistical, boring , blame everyone but himself manager, and then what do we do as a club,we get another :roll:

all the applicants for the job , why him he offers nothing imo

never a dull moment being a city fan

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Wootton Bassett Bluebird wrote:It has been really funny reading the many comments tonight - You have to laugh really, because this is what makes following Cardiff so crazy. I agree with Corky, having had time to reflect, you have to think of all the advantages of bringing Sheep Sheep Shearer in...The high profile, his contacts. The main point that makes me feel positive is that it would have been an easy option to stay on the match of the day sofa, but if he is prepared to take the risk you have to admire that. I would love to see Bellemy part of his plans - but that may not be possible ?

High profile Yes can't disagree with that . Contacts? Not so sure he has all these good contacts that you think he has. Being high profile and even if he does have good contacts doesn't make him a good coach and manager. I think the Newcastle fans would agree with that.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Play him up front. He would still be better and certainly more mobile even at his age than Parkin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 pm

corky wrote:nerd...give the guy a chance...you are likely to be 100% accurate...but lets not slag him off just yet he could prove the doubters wrong

Corky, Jones needed to go for the club to progress. That was patently clear years ago.

We've had high calibre candidates who have managed in this division - Di Matteo, Mackay, Hughton - two of which promoted from this division irrespective of your views on their squad strengths.

At a critical stage in the Malaysian era, the choice of manager post Jones was always going to be critical. Instead of experienced young managers, seemingly the Malaysians have gone the route of employing a guy who managed 8 games for a relegated team; content to act solely as a media pundit whose appearances were to say the least unimpressive.

Shearer has contacts? So too do many others.
Shearer coming means he must have a big budget? Again, would you rather a manager with some experience of building a team have access to that money or Shearer, with zero experience?

None of the arguments for Shearer rely upon his ability as a manager because, well, he showed little in his brief stint at Newcastle.

Maybe I'm glass half empty, but I see absolutely nothing in Shearer as a manager. Has he worked his way up a la Bruce? No. TO quote Shearer, from the Telegraph...

"“I loved the eight weeks I had at Newcastle,” he said. “I loved the problems and challenges it brought every day, but I’m also not too daft to see that the longer you’re out of the game the harder it is to get back in.
“If the right one was to come along then, yeah, I would look at it. I’m not desperate to go in at a club that’s got nothing and where I’m peeing against the wind.
"I’m not naive enough to say I’m not going in unless I can be a Premier League manager, I’m not that stupid.
"Somewhere along the line you’ve got to do your apprenticeship. But I’d want half a chance of being successful at it.”"

In other words, wants a job where the money is there. Which always makes the job a lot easier.

Appointing Shearer is a massive massive gamble. The Malaysians aern't going to endlessly bankroll the club in the hope of getting the Prem money - they'll eventually hit a point where the money invested exceeds potential earnings. We simply can't afford to fail, and quite frankly based on some of his tactical decisions at Newcastle and meanderings on MOTD, my view is he's nearer to a Bryan Robson than a Kenny Dalglish. I'd love to be proven wrong, obviously, but it's just a gamble we didn't need to make.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:52 pm

corky wrote:Massive for our profile.

100% agree exciting times at our wonderful club! :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Some excellent points nerd and you can't really argue with them but I am nervously excited about Shearer possibly coming here...it feels like exciting times ahead to me...but I really have not got a clue how it will pan out...he is not experienced but Jones had vast experience and still failed.

I am feeling excited about the season ahead now, a feeling lost last season even though we were doing well....it may all turn to shit but you know what our club is like, the same as I do....its mad and this appointment fits the bill.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Nerd doesn't have a f*cking clue.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Nerd doesn't have a f*cking clue.

Thank you for your expert analysis.

Damien Duff makes an excellent left back, doesn't he?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 pm

nerd wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Nerd doesn't have a f*cking clue.

Thank you for your expert analysis.

Damien Duff makes an excellent left back, doesn't he?

:lol:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Awesome Player

I think we might have to suffer for a little while before things get better but i belive he will turn it around.

If we stay behind him he can bring alot to this club anyone who knows football surely knows this.