Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

is shearer's name worth anything

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

as a manager of a malaysian owned team? maybe if hes a big name out there the club plan to sell the club and merchandise and thats how they plan to cover his wages if so they are very shrewd :ayatollah:

Re: is shearer's name worth anything

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Not quite sure about this, it is an international market, different cultures envy different attributes of a person, i.e. tactician (in Japan), or just being globally recognised. But, they are businessmen as well, look at how much publicity and brand awareness they have created surrounding Cardiff already. This could potentially lead to more investment, under the Shearer brand.....this is the world of football now.

In my opinion they have done there job today, by signing shearer, they have created a massive Publicity stunt, not even Swansea achieved that when they got promoted. Back pages on newspapers mainly cover Shearer, with small sections on Alex going to Villa. When we signed Bellamy, we had a large increase in gate receipts and shirt sales...this is what football is about.

Is this good for our club, well i'm not quite sure and its open for debate, he didnt have a good record with Newcastle, but they were a sinking ship even when Hughton was caretaker that season.