Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Shearer : Not a Man of his word

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:29 am

I was told he met with the club in London last night and left at around 10pm having shook hands on a deal. He said he had ambitions of becoming England manager and Cardiff was an ideal place to start. He even had a list of players he wanted to bring in. Then at 11.30pm his agent telephoned the club to say he'd changed his mind. He was due to formally sign a contract this morning in London. The job will most likely go to Malky Mackay or Lee Clark now who were the top 2 candidates prior to the Shearer interest.

Re: Shearer : Not a Man of his word

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 am

Lee clark is available at 25/1 with Paddy Power. If it really is between him and Mackay then that's got to be worth £10 of anyones money.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 am

Blackdragon wrote:I was told he met with the club in London last night and left at around 10pm having shook hands on a deal. He said he had ambitions of becoming England manager and Cardiff was an ideal place to start. He even had a list of players he wanted to bring in. Then at 11.30pm his agent telephoned the club to say he'd changed his mind. He was due to formally sign a contract this morning in London. The job will most likely go to Malky Mackay or Lee Clark now who were the top 2 candidates prior to the Shearer interest.

its actually worse than that
i am being told that he did actually sign a contract prior to changing his mind

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 am

steve davies wrote:
Blackdragon wrote:I was told he met with the club in London last night and left at around 10pm having shook hands on a deal. He said he had ambitions of becoming England manager and Cardiff was an ideal place to start. He even had a list of players he wanted to bring in. Then at 11.30pm his agent telephoned the club to say he'd changed his mind. He was due to formally sign a contract this morning in London. The job will most likely go to Malky Mackay or Lee Clark now who were the top 2 candidates prior to the Shearer interest.

mmmm compo :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:52 am

Could he change his mind again.
Wouldn't be the first,

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 am

steve davies wrote:

So the so called "shambles" was caused by Shearer changing his mind?????

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:58 am

steve davies wrote:

Any idea of a reason, im sure SB told you, come on dont spill hAlf the beans :D

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 am

stickywicket wrote:Could he change his mind again.
Wouldn't be the first,

no chance of that now its my understanding that he met alan hansen and gary lineker in a midlands hotel at 11 ocklock last night who were both concerned that his charisma would be missed on match of the day.
I understand lineker finally turned his head with a box of walkers ready salted crinkle cut crisps and a signed autograph on a pair of elle Mcphersons knickers used on the latest walkers crisps advert :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:03 am

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Any idea of a reason, im sure SB told you, come on dont spill hAlf the beans :D

He said it was for family reasons but whether that is the real reason who knows.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 am

steve davies wrote:

Thank god he changed his mind I reckon :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

He said it was for family reasons but whether that is the real reason who knows.[/quote][/quote]

Probably took advice from others and thought it would be too big a first real job, it's not just slotting in it's a rebuild and people will have told him that.........

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 am

Your all fur coat and no knickers.On the surface,quite an attractive position for a manager.But when you scratch beneath the surface,which is what Shearer done,then it soon becomes apparent that your actually in a bit of a mess and Shearer obviously didn't like what he seen.The truth will come out eventually and before long you'll all be calling for Dave Jones to return.

Can you imagine :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am

blackswan wrote:Your all fur coat and no knickers.On the surface,quite an attractive position for a manager.But when you scratch beneath the surface,which is what Shearer done,then it soon becomes apparent that your actually in a bit of a mess and Shearer obviously didn't like what he seen.The truth will come out eventually and before long you'll all be calling for Dave Jones to return.

Can you imagine :lol:

Where as you are smelly 2nd hand packamack and no knickers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am

It's family reasons.

He turned Man Utd for his love of his home town.

He has a young family. I think he has 4 kids. I believe he just didn't want to move to South Wales.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am

steve davies wrote:

Well at least we find out about his lack of commitment now, rather than in 3 months :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am

Big Boss Man wrote:It's family reasons.

He has a young family. I think he has 4 kids. I believe he just didn't want to move to South Wales.

So why be interviewed for the job then?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am

Think this thread should go, it'll upset a Newcastle diehard fan :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 am

Lack of commitment?

Never seen the guy play?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 am

Playing, funnily enough isn't the same as managing.

See Bryan Robson...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 am

Big Boss Man wrote:Lack of commitment?

Never seen the guy play?

Not sure what your alluding to there old bean.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 am

The same Robson who was able to take Boro up to the Prem twice and reach two cup finals?

That Robson?

You really don't have a clue about football.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 am

blackswan wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:It's family reasons.

So why be interviewed for the job then?

He spoke to Man Utd before he signed for Newcastle.

Maybe in his mind he was 50/50 about the job? Heard great things from the board, but just couldn't make the move.

He also went out of his way to release a statement saying great things about the club.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 am

Big Boss Man wrote:The same Robson who was able to take Boro up to the Prem twice and reach two cup finals?

That Robson?

You really don't have a clue about football.

The same Robson who is, errm, where right now precisely? The same Robson who dropped Earnie at West Brom despite scoring 19 goals because he "didn't track back enough".

Boro - who did they bring in - Barmby, Juninho et al. Lots of money spent. Christ, eventually they had to drag Venables out of his grave to assist him before firing him.

Bradford? 25 points out of 28 games. Relegation.

WBA? Nearly took them down first season, results elsewhere saving them. esond season, relegated with 2 matches left, failed to win in their last 13 matches.

Sheff Utd? Guess what. 9 points first ten games, blamed the board, blamed the fans.

Thailand? Appalling record, had to resign. Christ, drew with laos...

So, yeah, you keep clinging to success in a short timeframe to back your view on Robson whilst ignoring every signle other job he's had.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:47 am

steve davies wrote:

Did he use invisible ink ? - this sounds like Borley spin to me to deflect away from the Clubs fault :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He will never make a politician

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 am

Blah blah blah.......

You said he failed.

I simpy pointed out that he....

TOOK BORO UP TWICE!

REACHED TWO FINALS!

SAVED WBA IN HIS FIRST SEASON WHEN THEY LOOKED DOOMED!

Do I think Robson is a great manager? He has had his moments.

But he has done more than any other Cardiff manager.

What is our current aim? Prem football. Robson has taken a team twice to the Prem.

Like I said, you don't have a f*cking clue what you are talking about.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:51 am

Big Boss Man wrote:Blah blah blah.......

You said he failed.

I simpy pointed out that he....

TOOK BORO UP TWICE!

REACHED TWO FINALS!

SAVED WBA IN HIS FIRST SEASON WHEN THEY LOOKED DOOMED!

Do I think Robson is a great manager? He has had his moments.

But he has done more than any other Cardiff manager.

What is our current aim? Prem football. Robson has taken a team twice to the Prem.

Like I said, you don't have a f*cking clue what you are talking about.

So would you welcome Robson to the CCC then?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:06 am

Ah yes, so Robson had his moments. At Boro, when heavily funded by Gibson.

Other than that, spectacular failure as a manager.

But then, why let facts get in the way of a good rant, hmm?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 am

You were wrong then? Every Cardiff fan would be over the moon to have the success that Robson had at Boro?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 am

Big Boss Man wrote:You were wrong then? Every Cardiff fan would be over the moon to have the success that Robson had at Boro?

And which Robson would turn up.

The one who had a bit of success in a very limited time frame when very heavily funded, or the Bryan Robson who has been present the rest of his managerial career?

Based upon your logic, we should never have fired Jones - got us to Wembley numerous times, a cup final, etc...

And I was wrong? Hardly. You're the one picking a very short timeframe in his managerial career to try to make a point. Selective editing. Presenting the full facts exposes your paucity of argument.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 am

Bryan Robson
TEAM FROM TO GAMES WON DRAWN LOST
Sheff Utd 22 May, 2007 14 Feb, 2008 38 14 12 12
West Brom 09 Nov, 2004 18 Sep, 2006 81 19 24 38
Bradford 24 Nov, 2003 17 Jun, 2004 28 7 1 20
Middlesbro 31 May, 1994 06 Dec, 2000 314 127 86 101

There's Robson's managerial record for you. I expect Man U will call him when Ferguson retires...