Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Latest On Malky Mackay!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 pm

CARDIFF CITY are closing in on Malky Mackay – despite being warned by Watford they could have to wait up to a week to land their man.

The Hornets have told the Bluebirds they are ready to fight to hold onto Mackay after City finally made their move for the 39-year-old today.

The Cardiff board formally asked Watford for permission to speak to Mackay this morning after being snubbed by Alan Shearer, but found themselves immediately rebuffed by the Hornets.

And sources at Vicarage Road have indicated they are ready to make their Championship rivals sweat as they wait for a formal board meeting to discuss the tug-of-war developing over the highly-rated Scot.

But WalesOnline understands Bluebirds officials have made major headway in discussions with Watford and that permission WILL be given for City to speak to Mackay sooner rather than later, with compensation the only issue to be sorted.

Cardiff turned back to Mackay after seeing shock candidate Shearer pull out of the running to replace Dave Jones as Bluebirds boss in the early hours of this morning.

But Watford owner, Laurence Bassini, issued a firm hands-off warning, saying: “We don’t want Malky to leave Watford and will do everything in our power to keep him at Vicarage Road.”

In a later statement on the situation, Bassini, who only recently completed his take over of the Hornets, seemed to have softened his stance insisting the matter would need to be discussed with the whole Watford board, including former-England manager and current Hornets chairman Graham Taylor.

“I rejected the approach and hope our fans understand that I now need to consult with Graham Taylor and the board of directors,” Bassini said.

“The need to discuss this matter with members of the board is paramount.

“We should remember that Malky committed his future to Watford as recently as March, when he signed a new three-year contract.”

WalesOnline understands that consultation has the potential to be a lengthy process with two of the current Watford board on holiday abroad.

Sources at Watford believe the Bluebirds might have to wait a week for an official decision with most club’s pre-season schedules due to start at the start of next month.

Indeed, the board meeting at Watford to discuss the situation will not even be held until next Tuesday.

But it is thought that the progress made yesterday in behind-the-scene talks could now see a resolution before then.

Still, speaking to WalesOnline, Taylor admitted Cardiff might have to yet bide their time.

“I support the statement made by the club’s new owner,” said Taylor.

“He now wishes to speak to all members of the Watford board over this matter and that will happen over the next few days whether that is via a board meeting or done on an individual basis.

“The truth of the matter is that we are essentially telling Cardiff to hold fire for the moment. I do believe this is the right way to go about things.”

But after operating for two seasons with limited resources at Vicarage Road, sources close to Mackay say he is ready to leave Watford and is keen on the Bluebirds’ job.

His disillusionment reinforced recently when top talents Danny Graham, and Will Buckley were sold.

And he is now the stand-out choice for City after the bid to bring in Shearer failed.

Although not formally offered the job, the former-England international appeared close to making a dramatic return to management – only for talks to break down at the 11th hour.

“I can confirm that I was one of the candidates that the club spoke to about the vacant manager’s position at Cardiff City,” said Shearer.

“During these talks I was most impressed with the vision, ambition and determination of the owner Dato Chan Tien Ghee and the board.

“Unfortunately those talks were unsuccessful on this occasion. Cardiff City is a great club and I wish them every success next season.”

And despite bookmakers confirming last night that punters were still placing money on the former Newcastle-boss taking over at Cardiff, Shearer’s agent, Simon Bayliff, has dismissed such ideas.

“I do not have one word extra to add to what Alan has said,” Bayliff told the Echo.

“I think Alan’s comments on the matter are definitive.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28886474/