Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

on a sad note - any advice

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 pm

My good friend has found out they have bowel cancer , only 36 , Chemo about to start anyone have any experience etc of knowing someone etc etc etc .

Re: on a sad note - any advice

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Daya wrote:My good friend has found out they have bowel cancer , only 36 , Chemo about to start anyone have any experience etc of knowing someone etc etc etc .

Only person I know that had bowel cancer was very close to me and it didn't have a happy ending. :x :x :x

Best of luck to your friend mate, really hope they pull through it and make a full recovery!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Daya wrote:My good friend has found out they have bowel cancer , only 36 , Chemo about to start anyone have any experience etc of knowing someone etc etc etc .

Get him to talk about it, about what he's going through etc.

Sometimes people tend to keep it all inside, but a problem shared really
can be like a problem halved. If he knows he can open up to you it may
help a lot.

I wish them all the very best ;)

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 pm

a very close friends dad is going through it now. Not very pleasant at all....it was touch and go for a long time after 3 Ops failed, but ''touch wood'' hes on the mend very slowly.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm

12thMan wrote:

Only person I know that had bowel cancer was very close to me and it didn't have a happy ending. :x :x :x

Best of luck to your friend mate, really hope they pull through it and make a full recovery!

fingers crossed - but reading the web tonight dont fill the confidence. She's like an extension to the family , kids/wife love her to bits ..... sometimes life is a real bitch.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

taffyapple wrote:

help a lot.

cheers Taffy.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Daya wrote:
12thMan wrote:

fingers crossed - but reading the web tonight dont fill the confidence. She's like an extension to the family , kids/wife love her to bits ..... sometimes life is a real bitch.

She! My apologies

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Best of luck to your friend mate, really hope they pull through it and make a full recovery![/quote]

fingers crossed - but reading the web tonight dont fill the confidence. She's like an extension to the family , kids/wife love her to bits ..... sometimes life is a real bitch.[/quote]

She! My apologies[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: no worries buddy !

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Daya wrote:
12thMan wrote:

Its a ruthless, disgusting disease mate.

The company I work for heavily support Clic Sargent as our sponsored charity. Some of the stories and case studies I get sent by their corporate account manager is heart breaking.

You have to look on the bright side though the statistics these days are very encouraging. I read in a Clic Sargent report just last week that almost 8 / 10 cancer sufferers now make a full recovery!

really hope she pulls through it mate!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Daya wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

help a lot.

cheers Taffy.

My cousin (like my big brother really) had Cancer, he's ok now.

but I'd go and see him feeling awkward to ask about certain things, he in turn
didnt want to 'burden' me.. So we used to sit talking about anything but.
Bloody ridiculous really :lol: But once the subject was broached I was given a
daily chemo/ medical lesson and update on when he felt good, bad... later he
said it made a hell of a difference.

Again, i wish her and all of you well

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Best of luck to your friend mate, really hope they pull through it and make a full recovery![/quote]

fingers crossed - but reading the web tonight dont fill the confidence. She's like an extension to the family , kids/wife love her to bits ..... sometimes life is a real bitch.[/quote]

Its a ruthless, disgusting disease mate.

The company I work for heavily support Clic Sargent as our sponsored charity. Some of the stories and case studies I get sent by their corporate account manager is heart breaking.

You have to look on the bright side though the statistics these days are very encouraging. I read in a Clic Sargent report just last week that almost 8 / 10 cancer sufferers now make a full recovery!

really hope she pulls through it mate![/quote]

8/10 - thats a positive then ! cheers for that mate !

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 pm

My brother has been fighting an aggressive form of lymphoma for 2 years now. He's only 30 and he's in the army. You tell your friend to be strong Daya, it's the only way to beat it. My brother has had so many setbacks but he's determind to beat it. Its what keeps him going.

My brother talks about the illness to his girlfriend and my mother but he and I barely talk about it as I know he's fed up of talking about it. We just continue to have the same relationship as we did before. But each person is different so it depends how your friend feels about it.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 pm

PhatFrog wrote:My brother has been fighting an aggressive form of lymphoma for 2 years now. He's only 30 and he's in the army. You tell your friend to be strong Daya, it's the only way to beat it. My brother has had so many setbacks but he's determind to beat it. Its what keeps him going.

My brother talks about the illness to his girlfriend and my mother but he and I barely talk about it as I know he's fed up of talking about it. We just continue to have the same relationship as we did before. But each person is different so it depends how your friend feels about it.

all the best to your bro han :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 pm

milly44 wrote:
PhatFrog wrote:My brother has been fighting an aggressive form of lymphoma for 2 years now. He's only 30 and he's in the army. You tell your friend to be strong Daya, it's the only way to beat it. My brother has had so many setbacks but he's determind to beat it. Its what keeps him going.

DITO. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Daya wrote:
milly44 wrote:

DITO. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thanks guys :ayatollah:

It just goes to show how every form of cancer is different. Stephen McPhail had a very similar illness to my brother but was back playing within....was it 3 or 4 months? So don't read all the negative stories and assume it will apply to your friend. You'll get fed up of being told this but just stay strong and positive! :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:15 pm

All the best Steve and hope your Friend makes a full recovery :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 pm

PhatFrog wrote:
Thanks guys :ayatollah:

It just goes to show how every form of cancer is different. Stephen McPhail had a very similar illness to my brother but was back playing within....was it 3 or 4 months? So don't read all the negative stories and assume it will apply to your friend. You'll get fed up of being told this but just stay strong and positive! :ayatollah:

Can't fault that for advice - just focus on the positives.

Daya, trawling the net will not do any good, it can make the most basic of illnesses seem life threatening sometimes so God knows what you might have found.
It was all we could do to focus on the positives and talk about the good times while my aunt was really ill with a different form of cancer.

It's a horrible thing to experience but I wish only the best to your friend, Daya, and to your brother Hannah, and to anyone else who knows someone going through it.

Positivity is the only advice I have.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Steve,

My wife had breast cancer in 2001, a stage 3 tumour as we understood (means it has spread to a large number of lymph glands)

She has gone to hell,and back since then, (MRSA, two bouts of pneumonia). Nearly died twice

Her condition is exacerbated by the fact that she is diabetic ( and it is not very well controlled and is now wheelchair bound because her chronic, but manageable back problem got far worse after her prolonged stay in hospital after she had a mastectomy (we don't know why).

However she is still here 10 years later and has been clear of the cancer since, even though they weren't very hopeful when they found the full extent of her cancer.

Our life has changed however, I can no longer work as (I am her full time carer)

(What's worse is that I have only been able to see City twice in 10 years!!!!!!!!!!)

The chemo is not very pleasant and my wife reacted badly to it which is why she was hospitalised for so long after her operation. However many don't have such a bad reaction, although it has to be remembered that the drugs are very toxic,

I'm trying not to paint too severe a picture but not give false hope either. And as I said my wifes condition hasn't been helped by her diabetes problems. The cure is not very pleasant but cancer can be cured.

Regards

Elwood

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Steveo, all the best to your close family friend mate. Too much sadness in this world as it is. Lets hope she can turn this around and make it a happy ending. She will have to fight though. Keep her spirits up fella! ;)

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 am

cheers fellas :ayatollah: :ayatollah: