Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:25 pm

It would seem from the majority of posts that Malky Mackay was not most peoples first choice to succeed Dave Jones as manager of Cardiff City but it also seems that many fans are quite happy initially with his appointment, of course that could change within a very quick time depending on many things ie. signings and results. But his persona and first interview seems to have hit the right note with us and I believe we will see a visible sign of commitment and passion from the touchline.

In truth these things do not bother me either way as I have said numerous times when defending Dave Jones in the past, as I feel some players and managers are guilty of kissing the badge simply to get onside with the fans. Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting MM is anything like that but it is not something I need to see in my manager or players, just simply do the job and do what you feel comfortable with.

Credit must go to Gethin Jenkins and Alan Whitely for taking their time in making the appointment to make sure and believe that they have got the right for the job. Gethin was quite honest in the press conference yesterday when he stated that after everyone they interviewed they kept coming back to the same guy, Mackay. So it tells us that we got our first choice candidate, constrained obviously by budgets set by TG.

I hope this appointment works out for all involved, especially us the fans, and for Mackay who instantly got my vote with his comments of going for the top spot, this is what we want to hear and clearly suggests that MM believes he has the budget, backing and staff to deliver. Good luck Malky.

The second part where the credit is due I feel, which will be up for debate is the design of the new kit. Personally I like the kit's simple design, though I am yet to see the back of the shirt, and I have no problem with the sponsors being a Country either. I am sure the Jacks got sponsored by their own City's website a few years back so to get sponsored by a Country just goes that much further.

From a commercial point of view, I am sure many will not disagree that this will broaden our appeal in Malaysia and can only enhance our image and raise our profile again. Gethin was heavily involved with the selection of the kit and was the negotiator with possible kit sponsors but again I understand the route chosen and am in full agreement with it.

So we have a manager that we can believe in, a manager who sat down for 3 hours and laid out his plans to Gethin and Alan on what his plans were, tactics he would use, the discipline he will bring into the football club (which we are aware of us is very much needed), his desire and willingness to to use youth and how he is very keen on players nutrition and eating habits.

A change was needed and we got it, they didn't go for the most popular name but a man who they believe can do the job.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Any idea who Malky has on his transfer wish-list? ;)

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 pm

I like the guy, he came across very well yesterday.

A few good signings and I think we could be in for an exciting season.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:33 pm

They got the right man :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm well happy with Malky.....and I love the shirt, it's nice and simple, I see to many busy designs around and they look wrong. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm

agree with everything you say about the managers appointment not about the kit though what will be the next step changing our colours to red white and blue

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Was my First choice ill be honest but he came across very positive in yesterdays press conference . Just hope now he can bring in some quality players and be 10 points clear at the top Mid April next year :D :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 pm

carlccfc wrote:
So we have a manager that we can believe in, a manager who sat down for 3 hours and laid out his plans to Gethin and Alan on what his plans were, tactics he would use, the discipline he will bring into the football club (which we are aware of us is very much needed), his desire and willingness to to use youth and how he is very keen on players nutrition and eating habits.

A change was needed and we got it, they didn't go for the most popular name but a man who they believe can do the job.

on what you say above Carl about mackay's discipline, his desire to use youth and how the players cope with their bodies, got to be the opposite to what Dave Jones done at our club.

I welcome Malky to the club :ayatollah: and hope he keeps the players focused on the job ahead, which is to achieve promotion.

credit goes to Gethin Jenkins also :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44 pm

chris_1927 wrote:Was my First choice ill be honest but he came across very positive in yesterdays press conference . Just hope now he can bring in some quality players and be 10 points clear at the top Mid April next year :D :ayatollah:

Was meant to say "Was NOT my first choice" (why cant i edit my post in this thread)????????

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Well said Carl and thank you for all the updates you provided during the selection process once again they were extremely accurate. Also well done to Topcat he called this whilst you were away on holiday and made himself a few bob in the process. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Shearer aside, and I'm sure you will let us know what the hell went on there, I think GJ & AW have selected the right man for our club and as fans we must give him a little space to get his team to gel. As fans we need to remember he will be bringing 10+ players into the club and it will obviously take time to get the team playing as everyone would like them to.

Personally I'm not so sure about the Malaysia thing on the shirts as football is a business and we should have looked for a commercial sponsor, Cosway being an example, a Malaysian company which surely would have been recognised in the Country. Also I liked the yellow away kit and with the sun above the i in Malaysia it sort of makes it difficult to have a yellow away kit.

We just need to hear from you now Carl that Bellamy, Earnie and for me hopefully Jay are going to sign for the club, hopefully you wont have to keep us waiting to long for news on the signing front. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Carl

Malky was my first choice. Just didn't think we would get him cos he was under contract.

Annis went for Chris Hughton.

Are you able to say who was your first choice when DJ was sacked?

By the way, keep up the good work.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:05 pm

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:27 pm

carlccfc wrote:It would seem from the majority of posts that Malky Mackay was not most peoples first choice to succeed Dave Jones as manager of Cardiff City but it also seems that many fans are quite happy initially with his appointment, of course that could change within a very quick time depending on many things ie. signings and results. But his persona and first interview seems to have hit the right note with us and I believe we will see a visible sign of commitment and passion from the touchline.

In truth these things do not bother me either way as I have said numerous times when defending Dave Jones in the past, as I feel some players and managers are guilty of kissing the badge simply to get onside with the fans. Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting MM is anything like that but it is not something I need to see in my manager or players, just simply do the job and do what you feel comfortable with.

Credit must go to Gethin Jenkins and Alan Whitely for taking their time in making the appointment to make sure and believe that they have got the right for the job. Gethin was quite honest in the press conference yesterday when he stated that after everyone they interviewed they kept coming back to the same guy, Mackay. So it tells us that we got our first choice candidate, constrained obviously by budgets set by TG.

I hope this appointment works out for all involved, especially us the fans, and for Mackay who instantly got my vote with his comments of going for the top spot, this is what we want to hear and clearly suggests that MM believes he has the budget, backing and staff to deliver. Good luck Malky.

The second part where the credit is due I feel, which will be up for debate is the design of the new kit. Personally I like the kit's simple design, though I am yet to see the back of the shirt, and I have no problem with the sponsors being a Country either. I am sure the Jacks got sponsored by their own City's website a few years back so to get sponsored by a Country just goes that much further.

From a commercial point of view, I am sure many will not disagree that this will broaden our appeal in Malaysia and can only enhance our image and raise our profile again. Gethin was heavily involved with the selection of the kit and was the negotiator with possible kit sponsors but again I understand the route chosen and am in full agreement with it.

All sounds very positive Carl.

I think we will have an exciting few weeks of transfers coming in, especially if the rumours of a £20m budget are true as that is a big budget for a Championship side. One of the top 5-6 I would imagine.

I like what the guy has had to say, and the fact he seems to get us.

Its not important, but he acknowledged our tremendous support at Vicarage road last Christmas, and the atmsphere at the QPR game. He's done his research, he's young (younger than most of us !), enthusiastic, motivated , has high standards and seems to have the confidenc and presence to cary it through.

I'm a dreamer and I was excited about the Shearer rumor, but pragmatically this seems to be a great signign for the club and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks, and seeing the side against Bristol (I'm misisng the Hammers game ;) 0.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:31 pm

carlccfc wrote:It would seem from the majority of posts that Malky Mackay was not most peoples first choice to succeed Dave Jones as manager of Cardiff City but it also seems that many fans are quite happy initially with his appointment, of course that could change within a very quick time depending on many things ie. signings and results. But his persona and first interview seems to have hit the right note with us and I believe we will see a visible sign of commitment and passion from the touchline.

Good post. It was good to see City taking their time and, fingers crossed, picking the right man.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Can't agree with your statement Carl that Gethin Jenkins and Alan Whitely deserve credit for bringing in Malky. May I remind you that they were talking to Shearer behind Malkys back and almost lost him as a result.They hardly covered themselves in glory and made themselves look like look laughing stocks in the process.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

castleblue wrote:Well said Carl and thank you for all the updates you provided during the selection process once again they were extremely accurate. Also well done to Topcat he called this whilst you were away on holiday and made himself a few bob in the process. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Shearer aside, and I'm sure you will let us know what the hell went on there, I think GJ & AW have selected the right man for our club and as fans we must give him a little space to get his team to gel. As fans we need to remember he will be bringing 10+ players into the club and it will obviously take time to get the team playing as everyone would like them to.

Personally I'm not so sure about the Malaysia thing on the shirts as football is a business and we should have looked for a commercial sponsor, Cosway being an example, a Malaysian company which surely would have been recognised in the Country. Also I liked the yellow away kit and with the sun above the i in Malaysia it sort of makes it difficult to have a yellow away kit.

We just need to hear from you now Carl that Bellamy, Earnie and for me hopefully Jay are going to sign for the club,
hopefully you wont have to keep us waiting to long for news on the signing front. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What's to say the ploy of advertising a country will not attract considerably more investment from Malaysia, I think it is clever. Agree totally with Carl's assessment of MM

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Well said. Credit it where its due, it looks like they made the right decision and got the right man for the job.

We have a very small, but very capable squad of players that hopefully MM will get the best out of. At least he has the opportunity to bring in around 10 or so players of his choice, and from then we can sit back and watch the new improved Cardiff City.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Very good post, Carl.

I agree with you about credit for GJ and AW - everything public and 'on the record' has been professional and exemplary.

Who knows what we will get with Malky Mackay, but all the first impressions are excellent - I am excited in a way I never was last year, even with Bellomania!

I'm not too fussed with the new kit - preferred the Joma designs to Puma - but the 'Malaysia' decision is great. It will do a lot to market Cardiff City over there.

Sheffield United had the same approach last year - but 'Malta' doesn't have the impact of 'Malaysia' does it? :lol:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Good post Carl.

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Thats got to be one of your best post ever for me Carl fair play 2 u keeeeeeep up the good work with your new approach on G J and the board :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Warrior well thats foot ball for you its a cut throat game look at what Alex mcleish as done to birmingham we supporters are for life but managemant and players come and go live with it fella :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Fair enough Carl what you said I agree with especially what you said about the kit.

Malky makes all the right noises seems a good appointment I no I will support him 100 % but he has to hit the ground running the club said that they would appoint a manager who will take the club forward,and they would go for promotion again this year.

That means a finish higher than 4 th to keep progressing .Those high standards have been laid down by the club and thats great optimism and I suppose the clubs success over recent seasons has helped set these very high standards.

Dj just couldn't get that last hurdle could he .All I can say is I hope we all get behind Malky and he does manage to get us past that last hurdle I think we all deserve that at Cardiff City we been knocking the door for a few years now.

I hope that if we loose a few games people don't start being stupid and asking for his head.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Darcy is fucked then....apparently :lol:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:47 pm

well said carl i am very happy that we have got mm in as this could be the well needed steel we need and i cant wait to see how it all unfolds roll on westham :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice one, Carl....

Choosing a country whilst the Jacks had a town on their shirts is just another example of the huge gulf that lies between us in reality....

They might (temporarily) have the Premiership but WE have both the class and the REAL ambition....!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Ideally it would have been done quicker but the important thing was we got the right man and i believe we did do I think it's a job well done.

If after two weeks we ended up with Robins, hughton, di Matteo then i would have questioned the time scale.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 pm

castleblue wrote:Well said Carl and thank you for all the updates you provided during the selection process once again they were extremely accurate. Also well done to Topcat he called this whilst you were away on holiday and made himself a few bob in the process. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We just need to hear from you now Carl that Bellamy, Earnie and for me hopefully Jay are going to sign for the club, hopefully you wont have to keep us waiting to long for news on the signing front. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cheers Gary :ayatollah: :ayatollah: And i hope the ones who PM - ME Got on and again on Tuesday night at 5-1 :ayatollah:

Carl agree with most of your post apart from the GJ & AW part.Agreed that GJ went back to their number 1 choice,but why get sidetracked with Shearer,when most of us know the history with him and Bellers - who most of us want back at the CCS.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 am

Spot on Carl. Really looking forward to the next few months. :ayatollah: