Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

First priority a top class keeper

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 am

Keiren Westwood for me his contracts up at Coventry. He's a free agent. Kasper Schmeicel would cost upwards of £1.5 million.

Re: First priority a top class keeper

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

ihatealiens wrote:Keiren Westwood for me his contracts up at Coventry. He's a free agent. Kasper Schmeicel would cost upwards of £1.5 million.

I agree alien hater! Should be a priority. I think Westwood will go to the Prem though. I think Kasper would be a good shout, despite the price.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50856#p470275

Is Hannerman past his best now?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

We have two decent keepers. First priority is surely sorting out our midfield and striking options. I doubt Westwood would be interested anyway. There'll be bigger clubs than us after him.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 am

ffs wrote:We have two decent keepers. First priority is surely sorting out our midfield and striking options. I doubt Westwood would be interested anyway. There'll be bigger clubs than us after him.

agreed.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:49 am

2 decent keeper - must be watching the wrong club

Our keepers are average at best

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 am

I believe a goalkeeper is only as good as the guys protecting him.....therefore, sort the rest of the team out first, especially central midfield and left back, and then see how things look....

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 am

how about this guy deportivo are keen to hold onto him, and see him as the key to their promotion but think he could be heading for celtic :(

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/page.php?cid=152

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/n-ne ... 3687&ctg=1

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Keiron Westwood would be my first choice but think a Premier team will snap him up.

I'd go for someone like Dean Gerken from Bristol City or David Stockdale from Fulham, failing that Julian Speroni.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 pm

think westwood already taken, sure i seen some posts on him last week

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Westwood will go to a prem club easily ... Heaton and Marshall are fine! not many other better keepers gonna be available at the moment anyway (cheaply)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 pm

kasper is going to leicester lads and Westwood to sunderland, Leeds trying to hijack the bid.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Goalkeeper would be the last position I'd look in and to be honest I still wouldn't change them. Both good enough for this league.

Not sure why people think Westwood would come to us.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm

dont think we got a goal keeping issues, in my opinion we got two top goalkeepers in Heaton and Marshall. My only concern is the goal keeping coach, how can he not sort the errors and mistakes of Marshall and Heaton I never know i.e. dealing with set plays and corners.

Surely, Martyn must have had some say in the signings of the loan goal keepers over the past 2-3 seasons......who have been absolute failures apart from Kasper. But in meantime, I leave the goalkeepers alone as it is, we need a midfield and strike force first.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm

ffs wrote:We have two decent keepers. First priority is surely sorting out our midfield and striking options.

This.

As I said yesterday, if we'd had one keeper consistently for the last two season that would've led to a settled defence and, I personally believe, an improved performance in the run ins.

As it was we've had goalkeeping disruptions every year since Alexander left. Now say what you will about Jones and all of that shit, I'm not here to discuss that (get over it like), but that HAS to have had a negative effect.

FA Cup final season was the one Turnbull came on loan wasn't it? and Oakes and Enckelman shared the shirt.

Then it was the farce with Dimi and Heaton and then Marshall (when we got to the playoff final that was one of our more "consistent" seasons as far as keepers are concerned and we did better that year than ever before - no coincidence.

Then of course last season we had four of the feckers at the club. It doesn't help.

There's nothing wrong with Marshall and Heaton. We do need a new goalkeeping coach though imo.