Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Shattered Dreams - My Review

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

BigGwynram wrote:Whats the story behind the councilors against the stadium and the Echo reporter?

both gay..... stuck together - it was all about sexuality

Re: " Shattered Dreams - My Review "

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:22 pm

I liked dayo's chapter !!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 pm

barry boy wrote:I liked dayo's chapter !!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm

TLGs was the best chapter be honest lads hes a superb writer

as for the book , this one and gwyns rams book are the best

the pictures book is also great to flick through

think the soul crew books are badly edited and annis was let down by the typeset on that , not his fault

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Daya wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Whats the story behind the councilors against the stadium and the Echo reporter?

both gay..... stuck together - it was all about sexuality

phil nifield is gay ?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:47 pm

carlccfc wrote:I took Shattered Dreams on holiday to Lanzarote recently and despite having the book for over a year I never read it from start to finish but have read certain chapters at various times, I made sure that I read it from front to back. Once I started I could not put it down, the only time I did was when other football fans seen me reading it they stopped to talk about Cardiff City to me.

A really interesting insight into the recent times of Cardiff City. I like Annis, how you remained down the middle, especially regarding Sam Hammam, as many know your friendship with Sam yet it doesn't interfere with your thoughts at the time. It was good to learn of things that I didn't know about, like that Sam took a phone call on the morning of September 11th 2001 whilst in a board meeting, and drove back to his home in London thinking of the words he could comfort his wife with, believing that two of his children had died in the atrocities. There is so much in the book about the workings behind the scene at the club and I particularly found the time of Sam's arrival interesting in that certain people on the board were trying to block the move.

Where other people write chapters, my favourite would certainly be Vince Alm's, he tells a great story regarding the politics behind the stadium planning and subsequent building. Vince is able to document the whole process and gives you a clear picture of all the runners and riders involved. I never knew until reading this book that certain councillors who objected the stadium build used a writer in the South Wales Echo to pen their objections in the media for them as part of this campaign but interestingly that writer is now very much part of the Cardiff City Supporters Trust.

IS THIS ANOTHER DIG AT THE TRUST ? SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME CARL ......THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS NONSENSE HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP IN THREE DAYS ON HERE

I understand that many readers of this book think that Sam Hammam may not have been portrayed in the best light but it was very much the opposite for me and strengthened my view that Sam Hammam had forces working against him at the time and if others had worked with him and not against him then his time at the club would have been viewed as a far more successful period than what he is given credit for.

All in all, it is a must read for any Cardiff City fan as it is an honest and open account of what happened at Cardiff City during the years of 1998-2008.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41305 :ayatollah:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/ :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Sludge wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I took Shattered Dreams on holiday to Lanzarote recently and despite having the book for over a year I never read it from start to finish but have read certain chapters at various times, I made sure that I read it from front to back. Once I started I could not put it down, the only time I did was when other football fans seen me reading it they stopped to talk about Cardiff City to me.

A really interesting insight into the recent times of Cardiff City. I like Annis, how you remained down the middle, especially regarding Sam Hammam, as many know your friendship with Sam yet it doesn't interfere with your thoughts at the time. It was good to learn of things that I didn't know about, like that Sam took a phone call on the morning of September 11th 2001 whilst in a board meeting, and drove back to his home in London thinking of the words he could comfort his wife with, believing that two of his children had died in the atrocities. There is so much in the book about the workings behind the scene at the club and I particularly found the time of Sam's arrival interesting in that certain people on the board were trying to block the move.

Where other people write chapters, my favourite would certainly be Vince Alm's, he tells a great story regarding the politics behind the stadium planning and subsequent building. Vince is able to document the whole process and gives you a clear picture of all the runners and riders involved. I never knew until reading this book that certain councillors who objected the stadium build used a writer in the South Wales Echo to pen their objections in the media for them as part of this campaign but interestingly that writer is now very much part of the Cardiff City Supporters Trust.

IS THIS ANOTHER DIG AT THE TRUST ? SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME CARL ......THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS NONSENSE HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP IN THREE DAYS ON HERE

I understand that many readers of this book think that Sam Hammam may not have been portrayed in the best light but it was very much the opposite for me and strengthened my view that Sam Hammam had forces working against him at the time and if others had worked with him and not against him then his time at the club would have been viewed as a far more successful period than what he is given credit for.

All in all, it is a must read for any Cardiff City fan as it is an honest and open account of what happened at Cardiff City during the years of 1998-2008.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41305 :ayatollah:

The point your missing Sludge is that it turns out that its All True that Philip Nifield did oppose the New Stadium and did this through the Echo and now he is a leading member of the Trust and you know this is True, so how is that a dig ?

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Keep meaning to buy one :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Same and the soul crew books were can i get them from and were can i get shatterd dreams from ??

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Keep meaning to buy one :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Same and the soul crew books were can i get them from and were can i get shatterd dreams from ??

On here

or Waterstones or 127 Local Newsagents in Wales and Cardiff Airport :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27 pm

As i have said befoe did not like soul crew but loved shattered dreams and it really interested me I am not usually a book reader but read that one cover to cover

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:29 pm

john52 wrote:As i have said befoe did not like soul crew but loved shattered dreams and it really interested me I am not usually a book reader but read that one cover to cover

Cheers John, I think you will find My Story is more like Shattered Dreams :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes i think it might well be and look forward to reading it

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 pm

i read it twice its really good

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:47 am

Sludge wrote:TLGs was the best chapter be honest lads hes a superb writer

In all honesty I don't like TLG in fact I would say I can't stand his attitude on message boards towards posters he doesn't agree with and this MB is a far better place for not having him around.

But I agree with you Sludge he is a great writer. His chapter in Shattered Dreams was only second best because of Vince's brilliant effort and his blog was one I used to love reading because he does have a talent for putting things down in words and getting the message accross.

I suppose the point I'm making is you don't have to like someone to appricate that they have talent.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sludge wrote:TLGs was the best chapter be honest lads hes a superb writer

In all honesty I don't like TLG in fact I would say I can't stand his attitude on message boards towards posters he doesn't agree with and this MB is a far better place for not having him around.

But I agree with you Sludge he is a great writer. His chapter in Shattered Dreams was only second best because of Vince's brilliant effort and his blog was one I used to love reading because he does have a talent for putting things down in words and getting the message accross.

I suppose the point I'm making is you don't have to like someone to appricate that they have talent.

Spot on Tony :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:54 pm

THANKS again Carl and everyone else :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: