Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why a young Scottish Striker would pick Cardiff,

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:34 am

as opposed to Celtic or Rangers.

How many talented young Scottish strikers have the old firm signed over the years only to park them on the bench and ruin their careers.

The Premiership is where every young striker wants to be. The days of Premiership teams signing lots of players from the old firm are long gone. Therefore the Championship is a much more promising route to the Premiership. Firstly you have the chance of promotion with the Championship club you are at. Secondly Premiership clubs do sign strikers from the Championship especially clubs who have been promoted.

For me it is a no brainer. If I was an agent or parent advising a young Scottish striker of his future, I would say go to Cardiff as opposed to an old firm club.

Six years ago that would have been a laughable statement. However times have changed and young talent will have much better career opertunities with a top Championship side than being with the old firm.

Re: Why a young Scottish Striker would pick Cardiff,

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:40 am

Magners wrote:as opposed to Celtic or Rangers.

How many talented young Scottish strikers have the old firm signed over the years only to park them on the bench and ruin their careers.

The Premiership is where every young striker wants to be. The days of Premiership teams signing lots of players from the old firm are long gone. Therefore the Championship is a much more promising route to the Premiership. Firstly you have the chance of promotion with the Championship club you are at. Secondly Premiership clubs do sign strikers from the Championship especially clubs who have been promoted.

For me it is a no brainer. If I was an agent or parent advising a young Scottish striker of his future, I would say go to Cardiff as opposed to an old firm club.

Six years ago that would have been a laughable statement. However times have changed and young talent will have much better career opertunities with a top Championship side than being with the old firm.

Magners, you're absolutely spot on mate.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 am

Agreed. The Championship has far more British talent in it than the Prem these days and the quality of football played is excellent, in my opinion.

I'm really looking forward to another season in The Championship, as daft as that may sound to some, but look at the teams we'll be playing and the atmosphere we'll have against the likes of Millwall, West Ham, Leeds, Brum etc.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am

Magners !! Yo are a very nice drink with lots off Ice :lol: oh yes you are spot on with that statement :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 am

Spot on mate, thankfully Craig Conway is in touch with reality as well. Hopefully others will follow suit.

One of mtaes career was held up years by going to Ibrox, they were desperate for him, offering his club hundreds of thousans to get him before the end of his contract. They signed him on a free then gave him 2 games in 2 seasons. His career has stuttered since going from the verges of the Scotland squad to playing League 1 last season.

He's not the first and won't be the last but it's another warning to all the talent out there in any league.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:31 am

PtB wrote:Spot on mate, thankfully Craig Conway is in touch with reality as well. Hopefully others will follow suit.

One of mtaes career was held up years by going to Ibrox, they were desperate for him, offering his club hundreds of thousans to get him before the end of his contract. They signed him on a free then gave him 2 games in 2 seasons. His career has stuttered since going from the verges of the Scotland squad to playing League 1 last season.

He's not the first and won't be the last but it's another warning to all the talent out there in any league.

Thats what i heard. the big two just buy all the talent to stop the other fucker
getting them first

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:36 am

taffyapple wrote:
PtB wrote:Spot on mate, thankfully Craig Conway is in touch with reality as well. Hopefully others will follow suit.

Thats what i heard. the big two just buy all the talent to stop the other fucker
getting them first

Pretty much mate. Every time a team got close to the old firm they would buy their main man and knock them down a few pegs. Looks like clubs & players are getting wise to it.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 am

I completely agree with you Magners :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:05 am

You not had a word with him to sign for us again :lol:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 am

Derek Riordan always springs to my mind when having this conversation. The guy should have been a Scotland regular.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:27 pm

I agree with that opinion. Fair play to Conway, I'm sure the chance to play in the Champions League was hard to resist.

As for Riordon, this sketch say's it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqKNFxXn0M

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:05 pm

zippy wrote:I agree with that opinion. Fair play to Conway, I'm sure the chance to play in the Champions League was hard to resist.

As for Riordon, this sketch say's it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqKNFxXn0M

The Champions League for Celtic and Rangers is getting more and more difficult each year. Hence the draw of playing Champions league for these clubs will not be so appealing.

Yes I am sure if Riordon could go back in time, he would give the old firm a miss.

Also being a Scotsman thanks for your honesty Zippy.