Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best new laptops ( computer people)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm

hey, i am looking for a new laptop i am looking to spend around £595- £650 although performance comes before price so dont mind spending a little more a much better model.

i like hp laptops because of the high spec large screens and good audio, although willing to try other laptops.

preferable i would like it to have:

- large screen (14-17inch)
- dual intel core
- good speakers (+ some laptops now have built in subwoofer that would be a bonus)
- at least 500gb hhd
- 4gb ram
- graphics card - i do play games but not a serious gamer so anything better than average will do.

Re: Best new laptops ( computer people)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 pm

have a look at asus ive seen them rated in the top three in web browser mag and a few other mags

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 pm

carpet20 wrote:hey, i am looking for a new laptop i am looking to spend around £595- £650 although performance comes before price so dont mind spending a little more a much better model.

i like hp laptops because of the high spec large screens and good audio, although willing to try other laptops.

preferable i would like it to have:

- large screen (14-17inch)
- dual intel core
- good speakers (+ some laptops now have built in subwoofer that would be a bonus)
- at least 500gb hhd
- 4gb ram
- graphics card - i do play games but not a serious gamer so anything better than average will do.

There's only one answer and that's a Sony Vaio. Lots might disagree but I've gone head to head on many different laptops and the Vaio buries anything it comes up against even those with much higher specs.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 pm

if you willing to spend a couple of hundred more, get a macbook.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 pm

If you're willing to spend up to £1,000ish (I haven't seen how much they go for recently), the Sony Vaio is a brilliant choice. Only ever seen top reviews on them, and from my own experiences they're top notch.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:19 am

Cyberpower is a good bet, customizable laptops with high specs.

Plus really good customer service and great warranty :D

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:35 am

Macbook Pro or Lenovo Thinkpad.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 am

HAS to be a Macbook or Macbook PRO if you can afford the expense?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 am

Has to be a Sony Vaio for Windows based laptop, bought my top spec one from Tesco for 599.99 - best computer I've ever owned hands down.

If you've got the cash though, has to be a Macbook Pro.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

Macbook Pro - Mac OS X/Windows/Linux - comes with very good decent software preinstalled

Lenovo Thinkpad - Windows/Linux - very durable, well built and great machines. The only windows laptop I'd get.

Custom - build your own laptop, will cost a bomb but you know whats going into it.

When it comes to portable machines, they're the only routes I'd take. All other laptops usually have poor battery life in comparison or are poorly built.

Even Sony Vaio's are not up to the standards of those above. They're good laptops dont get me wrong but the above are better.

Personally, as I have done, I'd fork out the extra for the macbook pro. More durable than most laptops. Very quiet in comparison to a lot as well. Apple provide good customer service. They come with loads of preinstalled software that is useful, not like a lot of the garbage you get on windows machines. The app store is full of free and useful apps. You can use windows or linux too via bootcamp or parallels. Less viruses, even though they can get viruses.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:07 am

iv also been looking for a new laptop recently but i dont have the budget that you have my max is £500 , i think i found a bargin in argos check it out

Intel Core i5 480M.
2.53GHz processor speed.
6GB RAM.
500GB hard drive.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 am

Laptops are pretty much my job for last 12 years.

Wait a bit longer and save for a Macbook Pro, or go second hand on ebay. Dont buy anything else. If I had a pound for every windows laptop issue I have had to deal with in the last 10 years I would be very very rich! I have had not one Macbook to deal with in that time, yes they dont sell as many as windows but we still shift a fair few every week. NOT ONE comeback! The only comebacks are satisfied customers on a weekly basis bringing their friends in to buy one!

Apple as a company are a pleasure to deal with their customer service is excellent, the hardware is superbly engineered and with top materials, and the software is outstanding. Most users have never installed anti virus or security software for years. in fact lots of users dont put any software on at all, its all in there.

APPLE MAKE THE HARDWARE AND THE SOFTWARE, TAILORED TO WORK IN HARMONY TOGETHER, perfect synergy. Apple users on average change their machines every 5 years, Windows users every 2!!!

And no. I dont work for Apple, if a car showroom had the same cars brought back like I do with Windows laptops, they would stop selling them.

SAVE/WAIT :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 am

chunkyblue wrote:iv also been looking for a new laptop recently but i dont have the budget that you have my max is £500 , i think i found a bargin in argos check it out

Intel Core i5 480M.
2.53GHz processor speed.
6GB RAM.
500GB hard drive.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation

That's got good specs, except for the graphics card really.

Core i5 processor is almost top of the range, 2.5 GHz processor speed is pretty decent, 6GB RAM is good for a laptop and no-one can go wrong with a 500GB HDD. For £499.99 thats a decent price for what you're getting :ayatollah: