Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY CAN'T GET RID OF CRAIG BELLAMY

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Manchester City face the prospect of a £30million wage bill next season for players that manager Roberto Mancini no longer wants.

Mancini is desperate to ditch Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jo and Nedum Onuoha from his first-team squad, but has found his plans hamstrung by the astronomical salaries that players are banking at Eastlands. City are ready to take huge losses on a group of players recruited by former boss Mark Hughes who cost the club a staggering £85m in transfer fees alone.

But so far there have been no takers, with clubs unwilling to meet either City’s cut-price valuations or the big-money deals currently being paid at Eastlands.

Adebayor, who cost £25m when he arrived from Arsenal two seasons ago on a deal worth £130,000-a-week, is being touted around Europe for £14m.

The striker is refusing to contemplate a move to Zenit St Petersburg, while Marseille want City to slash their asking price and subsidise his wages.

Bridge and Bellamy, who cost a combined figure of £24m, are both on £90,000 a week, while £18m misfit Roque Santa Cruz, who earns slightly less, is wanted back at Backburn only if he slashes his £80,000-a-week earnings.

Jo, the Brazilian signed for an initial £6m in a deal that would have cost City £12m more if it had been a success, is also surplus to requirements as are homegrown pair Wright-Phillips and Onuhoa.

The salaries of unwanted players add up to a mindblowing £550,000-a-week – or close to £30m over the course of a season without bonuses.

City have the resources to manage these luxuries thanks to the riches of their Abu Dhabi-based owners but they are looking to balance their books ahead of the forthcoming implementation of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play Regulations.

A City insider said: “Unless there is some movement of players out of the club in the next 10 days this promises to the biggest test of Roberto’s management skills that he has ever faced.

“There is a group of players set to report back to the club who have been made aware that he doesn’t rate them and he doesn’t want them around the place.

“The big question is how will he manage players? What will he do with them because they aren’t part of his plans and he won’t want them in and around the first-team squad?”

Re: CITY CAN'T GET RID OF CRAIG BELLAMY

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 pm

why dont he just agree to terminate there contracts??

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:why dont he just agree to terminate there contracts??

Wouldn't be Mancini's decision - would be down to the CEO and board.

A club can't simply rip up a contract arbitrarily - do so, players will be due recompense for the club doing so. In short, club wants players to have their contracts terminated? You'll have to pay them to do so. I've zero doubt Bellamy wants to return, but let's be blunt, due wages of 4.5m, even if Man City offered half that, still a lot of money for Bellamy to leave on the table.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:50 pm

nerd wrote:

A club can't simply rip up a contract arbitrarily - do so, players will be due recompense for the club doing so. In short, club wants players to have their contracts terminated? You'll have to pay them to do so. I've zero doubt Bellamy wants to return, but let's be blunt, due wages of 4.5m, even if Man City offered half that, still a lot of money for Bellamy to leave on the table.

i see now, but say bellamy just wanted to leave and they both agreed would there need to be a fee? as he has said he wants to play for us and willing too for free so i cant see him moaning about money :ayatollah:
as you can see not 100% what the laws/rules are on contract terminations :lol:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Good post worcester :ayatollah: I have been trying to make this point the last week or so.

This all about time - MAN CITY want money for their players,and get them off the wage bill.

CARDIFF could try a few ways of getting Bellers back,or just wait for MAN CITY - to hopefuly rip up his and others contracts.

MAN CITY next season have BIG PLANS - RM - Wants to bring in more of his players into his squad.
Like most clubs he will have a budget,lets hope he wants to go over that,and has to act in our best interests :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
nerd wrote:

i see now, but say bellamy just wanted to leave and they both agreed would there need to be a fee? as he has said he wants to play for us and willing too for free so i cant see him moaning about money :ayatollah:
as you can see not 100% what the laws/rules are on contract terminations :lol:

If they both agree to mutually terminate the contract without any money being paid for doing so, that's fine - although in this case would benefit the club far, far more than the players involved.

The club and player cannot simply say "the contract is terminated" without the other sides consent unless there are contract clauses permitting them to do so, ie club terminating contract for gross misconduct for example. Doing so would make them liable for any subsequent breach of contract legal action.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:57 pm

arrghh now i see. FM lies too me!!!! :lol: thanks for clearing that up. i still believe he will be here next season :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:54 am

The way around all this is for us to bid very little for Bellamy.

Man City accept, and then we can talk business with Bellamy.

However, GJ said the other week we have been talking to Man City. Im guessing we asked about doing this.

By the looks of things, it seems like Man City are not budging from their £4M asking price.

You cant blame them for looking for some money back on their investment, but £4M is FAR too much for us for a player whos turning 32. Could be a different story for a far more affluent Prem team (however its unlikely Bellers will go anywhere apart from here)

Looks like we will have to bide our time, and see what Man City and Bellamy can agree on.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am

would anybody on this board walk away from a 4 million pay day, hell want his money and wont leave city without it and no one in there right mind would do anything differant sure he wants to come back to play for us but to expect bellers to do that is not going to happen ,man city will have to pay him up or keep him and let him hang around on the fringes

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 am

CCFCBULL wrote:The way around all this is for us to bid very little for Bellamy.

However, GJ said the other week we have been talking to Man City. Im guessing we asked about doing this.

By the looks of things, it seems like Man City are not budging from their £4M asking price.

You cant blame them for looking for some money back on their investment, but £4M is FAR too much for us for a player whos turning 32. Could be a different story for a far more affluent Prem team (however its unlikely Bellers will go anywhere apart from here)

Looks like we will have to bide our time, and see what Man City and Bellamy can agree on.

A much better idea is for Bellers to agree a termination of his playing contract with Manchester City for a lower amount than the £4m he is owed i.e. £2m he then signs for us for nothing as a free agent. ;)

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
CCFCBULL wrote:The way around all this is for us to bid very little for Bellamy.

A much better idea is for Bellers to agree a termination of his playing contract with Manchester City for a lower amount than the £4m he is owed i.e. £2m he then signs for us for nothing as a free agent. ;)

would you give up 2million i doubt it

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Ian Trumps Blue Army wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

would you give up 2million i doubt it

Well if Man City agreed to pay him half of his contract and we paid him £38,000 a week that would mean he would still get £4 mill so he wouldn't lose out a on a penny that way!

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:18 pm

The fact that Wayne Bridge matches Bellers wage is horrendous. That is a crime!

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Midfield general wrote:Bellamy will end up going on strike like he has in the past

bellers has never been on strike hell just stay up there and pick up his wages each week if he has to hed love to play foe m city but RM dont like him

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 pm

I have in the past changed jobs in order to be closer to family and be happier with what I'm doing, I can tell you I have had to take a considerable drop in wages in order to do it too.

Now I'm not talking millions of pounds here but hundreds per month, but it's all relative. I don't have a plush house nor a fancy car and designer threads,but the impact is just the same. I wanted to move jobs so much I was willing to take a big pay decrease and I don't see why Bellamy can't do that. Irrespective of 2 or 4 million. He would still be loaded and even on 20k a week thats still top earning for a championship club and ge gets what he wants, freedom and being closer to family.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Cymruguy2011 wrote:I have in the past changed jobs in order to be closer to family and be happier with what I'm doing, I can tell you I have had to take a considerable drop in wages in order to do it too.

Now I'm not talking millions of pounds here but hundreds per month, but it's all relative. I don't have a plush house nor a fancy car and designer threads,but the impact is just the same. I wanted to move jobs so much I was willing to take a big pay decrease and I don't see why Bellamy can't do that. Irrespective of 2 or 4 million. He would still be loaded and even on 20k a week thats still top earning for a championship club and ge gets what he wants, freedom and being closer to family.

I think it all depends on whether he considers he has reached the point were he and his family are financially secure once you reach that point if your lucky enough money isn’t the biggest issue any more

Unlike me 40 odd quid for a city shirt ? The premeship clubs dont charge that much