Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What a new Bluebird fan should know?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 am

After the World Cup last year I found myself really interseted in the sport. I have spent my entire 39 years of life totally absorbed in American Football and have had season tickets with the Tennessee Titans. While I still am a huge Titans fan I found myself increasingly interested in British football. So much so, that one of my new life dreams is to visit and attend a match in your country before I die.

I took the entire season last year to decide which club I would support. I chose Cardiff just before the loss to Reading (I was heartbroken like most of you). In spite of the loss, Cardiff has become my passion. My three sons and I are Bluebirds for life! Forgive me for being a novice, but I am still really new to the sport. What I want to know is.....what can I expect for next year? Does Cardiff have a shot at promotion? I am researching all I can, but obviously the American media gives me little information. I am unaware of the changes for the 2011 roster. I know we have a new coach and I new strategy, but I want to know what we are doing to move forward?

I am also hopeful that I will have a chance to visit Cardiff in 2011. What is the best way to get tickets to one of the matches? Any information would be fabulous.

Re: What a new Bluebird fan should know?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 am

The official Cardiff City website is probably a good place to start , Ive copied the link for you :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/Home

ps you also need to research " doing the Ayatollah " too ............... :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 am

ps you also need to research " doing the Ayatollah " too ............... :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:[/quote]

you also need to know our songs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 am

greenlawler wrote:After the World Cup last year I found myself really interseted in the sport. I have spent my entire 39 years of life totally absorbed in American Football and have had season tickets with the Tennessee Titans. While I still am a huge Titans fan I found myself increasingly interested in British football. So much so, that one of my new life dreams is to visit and attend a match in your country before I die.

I took the entire season last year to decide which club I would support. I chose Cardiff just before the loss to Reading (I was heartbroken like most of you). In spite of the loss, Cardiff has become my passion. My three sons and I are Bluebirds for life! Forgive me for being a novice, but I am still really new to the sport. What I want to know is.....what can I expect for next year? Does Cardiff have a shot at promotion? I am researching all I can, but obviously the American media gives me little information. I am unaware of the changes for the 2011 roster. I know we have a new coach and I new strategy, but I want to know what we are doing to move forward?

I am also hopeful that I will have a chance to visit Cardiff in 2011. What is the best way to get tickets to one of the matches? Any information would be fabulous.

you have chosen a very good time to become a bluebird.. There currently some very big changes happening at our club' with an exciting new manager who has been given the nod by our owners to rebuild our team from near enough scratch.. There are a lot of roumers going around regarding potential signings.. But what is clear is, the sort of signings we are being linked with shows a clear intent by our club and new manager that we are most defo looking to be in the mix for promtion this comming season :ayatollah: so welcome aboard fellow bluebird... you made a wize choice :ayatollah: p.s this site is a great place to keep up with all things cardiff city fc :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 am

welcome to our cardiff city an emotional rollercoaster

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:20 am

someone on a wind up in my opinion.
:lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:20 am

someone on a wind up in my opinion.
:lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 am

Welcome to the roller coaster world of Cardiff City. You have chosen a club with a passion with the best fans any team could wish for.

This webpage will keep you up to date with things on and off the pitch. Also you will see all the goals if you add the BBC sports home page. Scroll through and you will get to Cardiff City. Also the local papers here will add content to your favorates page.

Western Mail & Echo or Media Wales will help

And don't forget the :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:32 am

greenlawler wrote:After the World Cup last year I found myself really interseted in the sport. I have spent my entire 39 years of life totally absorbed in American Football and have had season tickets with the Tennessee Titans. While I still am a huge Titans fan I found myself increasingly interested in British football. So much so, that one of my new life dreams is to visit and attend a match in your country before I die.

Basically we are rebuilding our team this season. It is out with the old and in with the new. Last season we loaned quite a number of players from other clubs but this season we intend buying them. When you loan a player he goes back to his parent club after the loan period which usually lasts until the end of the season. When you buy a player he usually signs a 3 years contract so basicaly is committed ot the club for that time. Of course there are exceptions but that is the general jist of it all.

This new manager (coach) we have we are expecting to see him introduce a new style (strategy) of play. Last season and the season before the old manager used a direct approach style of booting the ball up to our target men in atttack. This new guy at his old club played a passing game where instead of booting the ball upfront he will get us playing a passing game from the back, through midfield and into attack.

You can order tickets online from the official website. However you need a home address to have the tickets dispatched to you. Unles you have an address here in the UK you can trust I dont think this option is a good one for you in the USA as I doubt the club would send them there.

Another option i syou can call the ticket office and buy your ticket over the phone. You can then arraange to pick up the ticket at the ticket collection box that is sutuated just outside the ticket office.

The final option is that you can buy your ticket on the day at the ticket office. Obviously this option has its risks such as the game being sold out before you get to the counter. Also you could end up in a bug queue (line) which can be a real pain in the arse (butt).

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 am

Your Having A laugh Mate

tennesee titan, support a real team like the steelers :D

on another note
some songs for you to learn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvyOtCBn ... re=related

and an ayatollah video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5OslXZ-gt4
you'' want to pick a wek where you can possibly get two games in todd not the winter time as theres always a chance of a game being called off, also try and get an away game in to compare the difference :)
it all depends really on when your coming and for how long

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am

Also, you can't take your beers into the stands, you have to drink piss weak Fosters under the stands or you can drink in the numerous pubs near the ground. These pubs are a great place to meet fellow fans. Anywhere in Canton is a good place to drink on match days

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 am

blatent wind up

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 am

How can you be 'heartbroken' at a loss when you've only supported the club for just a couple of days ?! :?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree. This seems too much like someone taking the piss (probably a Jack) and some of you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Or am I just a suspicious old cynic in my old age?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:I agree. This seems too much like someone taking the piss (probably a Jack) and some of you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Or am I just a suspicious old cynic in my old age?

no, i agree with you. I was the first sceptic. :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Bloobirds101 wrote:
Citysince1964 wrote:I agree. This seems too much like someone taking the piss (probably a Jack) and some of you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Or am I just a suspicious old cynic in my old age?

Give me one good reason why you think this is a windup.

Personally I dont see anything wrong.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:39 pm

He no doubt is devistated.. Remember Americans are more emotional than us Brits and cry easily. Maybe one game of following Cardiff and 1 loss has severly effected him ?

Maybe that loss hurt him more than when we hurting after the losing the FA Cup final and the Play Off final ?

We are talking about Americans after all, and I don't mean that in a bad way. :D

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bloobirds101 wrote:

Give me one good reason why you think this is a windup.

Personally I dont see anything wrong.

i agree ian
me and a few other bluebirds chat with a few women in pennsilvaina and they are all interested in th ebluebirds

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 am

Nope no "windup" whatever the junk that is. But I understand why you would be leary.....as for your points. Of course the Reading game did not bother me as much as it did you life long fans but I was still dissapointed. I maybe chose the wrong word "heartbroken."

Becuase I took so long to pick one club to support I actually watched Cardiff for much of the season. I was a fan for longer than one game. I just eliminated the other two teams I was considering just before the first Reading match. One of the main reasons I picked Cardiff is becuase my family came to America from Wales.

Thanks to those of you who shot me some info. The link to the songs was good. I have actually done a lot more research than I may have implied. I already knew about :ayatollah: I knew about the rivalry with Swansea, and others. I knew about the F.A. cup win in 1927. As I type I am wearing the home jersey from last season.

I was mainly curious about the state of the team for next year. I understood that the Bluebirds were rebuilding but wanted to know how confident you guys were in the new coach? Is Bellamy gone, I cannot find info on that? What about Craig Conroy? Is that signing a big deal?

As for the American stuff......I figured I would get some of that. Fair...

Hey Prmiere 1. I respect the heck out of the Steelers, they have won there share of championships of which I am jealous but head to head the Titans own them.

Go Cardiff.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 am

Slaughter do the ayatollah!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am

Hey Prmiere 1. I respect the heck out of the Steelers, they have won there share of championships of which I am jealous but head to head the Titans own them.

HaHaHa that maybe the case, but i have followed them as long as you have truley followed american football, having been to the old 3 rivers stadium back in 77, you know what, im buggered if i can remeber the titans winning anything, i may be wrong ;)

but welcome anyway to the emotional rollercoaster that is Cardiff City FC

some info
craig wants out of man city, and wants to come back here, there is a contract in place so there are issues, we have to wait and see what can be thrashed out around the table.
craig CONWAY from what we have seen of him, on youtube looks like he can deliver, time will tell we have had players before that looke dthe same and not stepped up to the plate.
there will always be as you have no doubt found out, rumors some like them some hate them, but its what us fans feed on during closed season

couple of tips
coach = manager the coach in football (not soccer) is in second or third command
"come on" as in present not "go" as in hope petty but you'll get there

so what were the other 2 teams you were looking at

whats your thought's on this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _v_Mexico/

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:12 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:

HaHaHa that maybe the case, but i have followed them as long as you have truley followed american football, having been to the old 3 rivers stadium back in 77, you know what, im buggered if i can remeber the titans winning anything, i may be wrong ;)

but welcome anyway to the emotional rollercoaster that is Cardiff City FC

some info
craig wants out of man city, and wants to come back here, there is a contract in place so there are issues, we have to wait and see what can be thrashed out around the table.
craig CONWAY from what we have seen of him, on youtube looks like he can deliver, time will tell we have had players before that looke dthe same and not stepped up to the plate.
there will always be as you have no doubt found out, rumors some like them some hate them, but its what us fans feed on during closed season

couple of tips
coach = manager the coach in football (not soccer) is in second or third command
"come on" as in present not "go" as in hope petty but you'll get there

so what were the other 2 teams you were looking at

whats your thought's on this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _v_Mexico/

As for the link I tried to watch but it was not available in my area.

I have a couple of pals here who tried to steer me to the Spurs, and Everton.

You are right the Titans have not won a Super Bowl although they have been a consistant winner for long stretches. In 99 they came one yard from winning the Super Bowl. The played in 3 AFC championship games in the 90's. Had the best record in 2008 before loosing to Baltimore...etc.

Actually I grew up a Packers fan...before the Titans moved to my city. But my loyalty lies with my hometown so like most Tenneseans I switcheded alliances once we got our own team. Never stopped liking the Pack though, in fact I won stock in the Green and Gold. You went to three Rivers in 77? Very nice. I went in the early 90's. I don't get up North much, I try to av ;) oid it.

Thanks for the Bellamy I was confused on that, and the tip on the coach....have a feeling I will make more than one miss-step along the way.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

sorry about the link it was a set-up
there were a few who thought you were one of the bad lads on here aving a go, i knew you wouldnt be able to watch the link stateside, tried it on a female freind in pittsburgh.

welcome to the board :ayatollah:
yep loads we can share you just need to ask :D

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:sorry about the link it was a set-up
there were a few who thought you were one of the bad lads on here aving a go, i knew you wouldnt be able to watch the link stateside, tried it on a female freind in pittsburgh.

Crafty b*stard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Not exactly difficult to use an American IP address, tbh. A determined hoaxer would do that fairly easily... indeed there was a thread on another mb giving names of some spoof sites to use earlier today...

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 pm

nerd wrote:

Not exactly difficult to use an American IP address, tbh. A determined hoaxer would do that fairly easily... indeed there was a thread on another mb giving names of some spoof sites to use earlier today...

Really? Hahah you guys are one suspicious lot.....