Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Is the MLS better than the Championship..?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 am

it will be one of the biggest leaguees in the world within 10 years. too much money over there the stadiums are massive and they know how ot entertain more than any other country.
its only a matter of time. i just hope the decide to mix the champions league or something with the usa.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 am

give it a few years and it will become a very good league but at the moment its used as a retirement home for ageing and over the hill british players

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:49 am

Only used as one final pay day for the ex stars.

I have no doubt that it will be a big leave in the next 5/10years.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Massive wages :D

They're trying to develop MLS to be as big as American Football and are using big names (David Beckham and Thierry Henry) for advertisment and stuff

However the quality atm is not as good as championship

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Having watched a lot of games on TV and seen a few live (Toronto FC) I can honestly sat that the standard of football is bottom half of the Championship - at best !!! Great day out sitting in the sun with a nice cold beer but the football is piss poor.

:old:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm

I can't see the MLS ever being big in the USA, well not at big as the Prem anyway. Sure the kids love to play soccer in high schools over there, but once they get to college it is all about playing College American Football ( which at that level is as popular as the Premiership, hence college stadiums being around the 50K - 60K in capacity mark ) and trying to progress to the NFL once they graduate.

There is not enough interest in soccer over there to be frank. People thought Beckham moving to LA Galaxy would heavily generate more interest, and it did to a certrain degree, but was a short lived fad. In a nut shell Yanks love there own home grown sports a lot more and find soccer to be a bit of a bore fest in general compared to that of Baseball, Basketball and American Football.

I personally can't see soccer getting any bigger in the USA than what it is right now any time soon.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

I think the sport is growing massively in the USA I travel with work a lot the the USA and see soccer pitches sprouting up everywhere I when back to my old college and in the 80s there were no pitches now it has 6 top quality itches more than any other sports
Also the schools have started to have pitches this is something you never would have seen back then I think it needs another generation to crack the top three sports with regards to crowds but on a participation level it right up there

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 pm

The only thing holding the sport back in the usa at the moment is the american public dont quite get what its all about.. They cant quite grasp the fact that a game can go without any points-goals being scored etc.. Like the man above me said.. Its still another generation away from realy taking off