Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: 83 graduates applying for each job

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am

CardiffCityCulture wrote:I'm a Careers Adviser and have to say, a lot of what is said above is very true. I would seriously have a think if Uni is what you need, the Market is saturated with people with Degrees and so Employers want REAL experience... Plus is it worth the Debt? I would say not unless your Career choice means you HAVE to have a degree, such as Nursing, Teaching, whatever!

As I said above, I have worked since I was 14, yet i'm still in a basic wage job. Experience ISN'T everything. Qualifications are helping people to equip themselves. Also, with my genereration expected to work to a higher age, then why not delay starting your career? Why not take time out to do something you'll enjoy?

Nerd, education is a BASIC right.

Fact of the matter is, without University students then this country wouldn't survive. We need thinkers to run this country. The same as we need labourers, plumbers, electricians etc to run this country. You may believe some degrees are pointless but the amount of job vacancies that ask for graduates proves that its not. How can a 17 year old decide what they want to do with their future? How many of you are doing what you wanted to do when you were 17? Therefore sometimes the degrees don't match up with the future careers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending all students as I know a few who went to uni and just never bothered. But you shouldn't tar the hard working and genuine students with the ones who are there for a free ride.