Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

£1.5 million for Whitts - I'll pay his taxi fare!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:47 am

I'd snap their fingers off for that amount, and throw in Mcphail :lol:

Re: £1.5 million for Whitts - I'll pay his taxi fare!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 am

I agree, but keep mcphail as a squad player as we won't get any money for him

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am

the most naturally gifted player we have 20 odd goals the season before last , then dj tried to use him as a HOLDING MIDFIELDER last season no way keep whits

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 am

arri potta wrote:I'd snap their fingers off for that amount, and throw in Mcphail :lol:

Really? It surprises me that anyone would let a player who scored 25 goals from midfield 2009/2010 and 10 goals 2010/2011 go for so little money.

Yes he can appear a little too laid back but I guess we would struggle to find a midfield player who can score that many goals in a season. Don't forget Jones totally got it wrong this past season and Whitts still managed 10 goals playing in a position that was alien to him... dropping too deep.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:17 am

Midfield general wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
arri potta wrote:I'd snap their fingers off for that amount, and throw in Mcphail :lol:

Really? It surprises me that anyone would let a player who scored 25 goals from midfield 2009/2010 and 10 goals 2010/2011 go for so little money.

Yes he can appear a little too laid back but I guess we would struggle to find a midfield player who can score that many goals in a season. Don't forget Jones totally got it wrong this past season and Whitts still managed 10 goals playing in a position that was alien to him... dropping too deep.

a large majority of those goas were from the penalty spot

Fair point and I like wingers to be pacey and be able to go around players... Whitts is definitely not that kind of player, he's more of a Becks where he can pick out a pass, cross and get goals.

I think well miss him if he goes.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 am

DEANO wrote:the most naturally gifted player we have 20 odd goals the season before last , then dj tried to use him as a HOLDING MIDFIELDER last season no way keep whits

DEANO wrote:the most naturally gifted player we have 20 odd goals the season before last , then dj tried to use him as a HOLDING MIDFIELDER last season no way keep whits

This is exactly what happened!!! Against Reading in particular I was shocked to see Oli bombing on and Whitts holding! Madness! £1.5m won't even get one of his legs! Over 50 goals in three seasons from midfield! What other championship midfielder has a record even close to this! We could sign a million players to run round and kick people but this bloke has genuine talent! Let's support and appreciate him for what he does best!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 am

hes laid back sure but at the end of that day the boy wants to play for us,he upped his game towards the end of last season(i can remember him having a cracker against hull city at the KC) never moaned or complained even when played out of position and of course was not involved in dubious off the pitch farces like other players.
plus the main thing for me would be who would we replace him with,are we going to have 4 work horses in midfield and no creativity? a loan player ?
and im sure if bellers comes back he d love to have to kind of service whitts could provide

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 am

If you check the Opta Stats you will find the Whitts covers more ground than any other player in the team. He appears laid back but the reality is that he has the highest work rate than any other player.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:33 am

Whitts will fit mackays game perfectly why get rid? hees our best player at the moment

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am

Whitts is one of the very best players in this league. you woul dbe surprised how much work he actually does. as somebody has already mentioned the opta stats but his work rate is very high.

not to mention his vission and touch is premiership class, i really do worry that if people want to get rid of him the know very little about football !!

whitts is integral to our plans and im sure malkay would back that up

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 am

Midfield general wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:

a large majority of those goas were from the penalty spot

And there was me thinking eleven penalties out of a total of thirty six goals scored by Whitts in the past two seasons was a large minority.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

Crazy price, they would be getting a bargain. I'd expect at least double that before it's even considered.

and to be fair he did win or create some of those penalties.

btw does anybody know his assists? he has got to be one of the highest in the division

Jimbo27 wrote:

This is exactly what happened!!! Against Reading in particular I was shocked to see Oli bombing on and Whitts holding! Madness! £1.5m won't even get one of his legs! Over 50 goals in three seasons from midfield! What other championship midfielder has a record even close to this! We could sign a million players to run round and kick people but this bloke has genuine talent! Let's support and appreciate him for what he does best!

I agree there are so many people who support Football but have no idea how to play the game or what it involves?

I suppose that's the world we live in and why so many tin pot people are in control of their countries.

If Whitts is sold I really think that would send out the wrong message, he might look lazy etc but thats his style. Well worth his wages and hardly ever suffers from injuries so is total value for money!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 am

Whitts is worth more than £1.5 million.
He's the best passer of the ball we've got,and if the rest of the team (Bellamy excepted) had shown
half of his committment,especially in the latter part of the season,then we would not have endured
the abject finish we did.
I hope that Malky has a higher opinion of him than you.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 am

Shows you dont know anything when you want to throw mcphail in too...our most skilled midfielder

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 am

Whittingham if played in the right position is almost guaranteed to give
you 15 goals a season in this league.

But where will Malky play him, given that he has brought Conway in
who's best position is wide left, and dont forget Craig Bellamy.

It'll be a big decision to let him go!!

His goal against Barnsley... is there another player in this division capable
of that (and im including Bellers here!!)

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

berbatov looks lazy.........hes the top scorer in the prem league last year playing in just over half the games.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:03 am

jezzy666 wrote:berbatov looks lazy.........hes the top scorer in the prem league last year playing in just over half the games.

Id have to agree and people dont mark him so much as they think hees up to nothing then they pay for it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 am

I'd tell Pompey to double it or forget it. Whitt's with the right people playing alongside him can be a real assett. Oli and McPhail were the wrong types. We need someone to combat alongside Whitt's, somebody who can do the dirty work allowing Whitt's room and space to pick a pass or unleash a shot at goal.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 am

Hell no! Last season Whitts was being played out of position, and still was able to perform at times. Play him back in his more natural position and let him shine!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 am

Why would you want to get rid of our best player? :roll:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 am

Sell Whitts and get in routledge or mcanuff!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 am

Whittingham is the most naturally talented footballer we have and his work rate is deceptive because the stats don't lie he covers as much if not more ground than anyone else in the side. Yes he can be frustrating at times but his positives far exclude the negatives and where are we going to get a midfielder who if played in the correct position can guarantee you 15 plus goals a season?

So lets keep Whitts play him in a more advanced role let him get into the box more and watch the goals flow again be absolutely gutted if he goes because we need some stability and talent in the side Whitts offers both :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 am

blueheaven wrote:Whittingham is the most naturally talented footballer we have and his work rate is deceptive because the stats don't lie he covers as much if not more ground than anyone else in the side. Yes he can be frustrating at times but his positives far exclude the negatives and where are we going to get a midfielder who if played in the correct position can guarantee you 15 plus goals a season?

So lets keep Whitts play him in a more advanced role let him get into the box more and watch the goals flow again be absolutely gutted if he goes because we need some stability and talent in the side Whitts offers both :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Excellent post - agree especially regarding the stats about his work-rate etc. which, to be fair, DJ always liked to reiterate !

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

oh ye covers most of the ground going backwards hardly ever puts his foot in what does the opta stats say about his tackling probably one of the lowest in the team if not the whole league

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Baffles me how people think that selling whitts for 1.5m is good business,unbelivable

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:oh ye covers most of the ground going backwards hardly ever puts his foot in what does the opta stats say about his tackling probably one of the lowest in the team if not the whole league

does that surprise you? generally wide players are poor tackles and good going forward.
and not all central players are good tacklers, just look at Paul Scholes.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm

ffs cant compare them, ones lazy has no pace cant tackle the other ones whitts , not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:oh ye covers most of the ground going backwards hardly ever puts his foot in what does the opta stats say about his tackling probably one of the lowest in the team if not the whole league

does it not also say he provided most of the passes for goals by chopra bellamy and bothroyd as well as chipping in with a good amount himself[unlike mcphaill] He was my player of the season