Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rangers 'tapping up' Goodwillie through the media?

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Perhaps this post is more suited to a Rangers or Dundee United board. However, given that Cardiff seem to in pole position to sign Goodwillie, I'm hoping most of you find this an interesting read.

http://www.scotzine.com/2011/06/are-ran ... ttraction/

Re: Rangers 'tapping up' Goodwillie through the media?

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

iTS A LAUGHABLE STATEMENT REALLY.

McCoist is basically calling Goodwillie a greedy b*stard because Rangers cant
compete with Championship Clubs wages.

Yet he doesnt mention that the only reason Rangers can guarantee medals is
because they BUY the SPL every season. They try to BUY every young player
in Scotland for fear of them going anywhere else.

they have spent so much money BUYING their way into the Champions league
that they no longer have a pot to piss in.

f*cking arrogant wanker

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Agreed. Rangers have a cheek to question any players motives when so many players have went to them just to warm the bench.

I think if Goodwillie elects to go to Cardiff instead of Rangers it reflects well on his footballing ambition. Ok, he may not get to play in a few games in the champions league but he will be playing in a very competitive league in front of decent crowds every week and have a fantastic opportunity to showcase his talents. If he is not playing in the premiership with Cardiff in 2 seasons I honestly think he'll be playing there with someone else. I think by joining Rangers, he'd develop at a slower rate as there'd be a bigger media spotlight on him.

Out of all the players in the SPL he is the one with the greatest potential. Winning the SPL young player of the year award for the past 2 season indicates this. A previous winner of this, Aiden McGeady transferred for 9 million. Goodwillie is of a similar standard in my opinion. It's just a shame he hasn't been able to prove his talent on a European stage yet.

Cardiff, please pay up so Ranger shut up.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Goodwillie needs Cardiff.

He needs English football.

He won't develop playing for Rangers.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Rangers are just looking desperate now.

When will the likes of McCoist realise just how crap the SPL really is and astart to ppreciate how poor Rangers and Celtic are in comparison to teams in the Premiership and the top teams in the Championship. The fact that they may get 3 games a season in the qualifying group of the Champions League, is simply down to the total lack of competition in the SPL and the SPL title itself would probably mean less to most players (other than players who are also fands of Rangers or Celtic), than a promotion from the Championship.

If Scottish players want to move to a Championship side rather than Rangers, their salaries are unlikely to be that much different in comparison in most cases, so it is more about what opportunities players have in the Championship compared to the SPL.

If you were a young player wanting to take the next big step up in your career, the Championship provides that platform. If a striker scores 20 goals in the Championship, Premiership clubs would be taking a serious look. However, if a striker scored 20 goals in the SPL, it would barely register in the Premiership.

There are simply far more opportunities for ambitious young players in the Championship than the woeful SPL and McCoist simply can't accept this fact.

McCoist was just never good enough to cut it in England, as his goal record suggests. More than a goal every other game in Scotland and 1 goal every 7 games at Sunderland. If Goodwillie falls for the sh*te Rangers are spouting, I feel sorry for wasted talent.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Blueboo wrote:Rangers are just looking desperate now.

When will the likes of McCoist realise just how crap the SPL really is and astart to ppreciate how poor Rangers and Celtic are in comparison to teams in the Premiership and the top teams in the Championship. The fact that they may get 3 games a season in the qualifying group of the Champions League, is simply down to the total lack of competition in the SPL and the SPL title itself would probably mean less to most players (other than players who are also fands of Rangers or Celtic), than a promotion from the Championship.

If Scottish players want to move to a Championship side rather than Rangers, their salaries are unlikely to be that much different in comparison in most cases, so it is more about what opportunities players have in the Championship compared to the SPL.

If you were a young player wanting to take the next big step up in your career, the Championship provides that platform. If a striker scores 20 goals in the Championship, Premiership clubs would be taking a serious look. However, if a striker scored 20 goals in the SPL, it would barely register in the Premiership.

There are simply far more opportunities for ambitious young players in the Championship than the woeful SPL and McCoist simply can't accept this fact.

McCoist was just never good enough to cut it in England, as his goal record suggests. More than a goal every other game in Scotland and 1 goal every 7 games at Sunderland. If Goodwillie falls for the sh*te Rangers are spouting, I feel sorry for wasted talent.

Goodwillie could sign for Rangers and score 30 goals next season and still not
have the top half of Premiership Clubs looking all that interested.

If he signs here and gets 20, i predict he'll be playing Premiership football in
2012/13 ... For Cardiff City :ayatollah: :ayatollah: