Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SHOULD THIS FORUM BECOME MEMBERS ONLY TO VIEW ?

You may select 1 option

View results

Forum abuse !! Should it be members only ?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm

To view this Forum should it become a Members only site to help reduce the Abuse certain members receive ?

Re: Forum abuse !! Should it be members only ?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Ive always been against it, but lately its become a f*cking joke and something should be done! So im game :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

i posted this last week,def members only :ayatollah:

Nuclearblue wrote:To view this Forum should it become a Members only site to help reduce the Abuse certain members receive ?

Nice avatar nukes. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I think it should. :ayatollah:

I thought to be able to do a post you had to sign up to be a member on here anyway. Or is this directed at the other board who view this forum without signing up to post, then go running back on the other board to snipe at us? If this is the meaning of your post, I think it would be a good idea. It would cut out all the childishness and those who sign up to view posts on this board like Carl's updates etc, can easily be booted off it their only purpose is to become a member of this forum to view our posts and go running back to the other board to have a pop at us.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Myopinion is that it wouldn't solve anything other than mean potential good posters can't get on here.

Marc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:To view this Forum should it become a Members only site to help reduce the Abuse certain members receive ?

Nice avatar nukes. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I think it should. :ayatollah:

Dont you recognise my Avitar Marc ? its Goodwillie :lol: :lol: :lol:
And yes i think i should become a members only Forum now :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

No I don't think it should tbh but if Annis decides it should be then that is his choice. I like the idea of away fans using the forum and that may stop them if it was a closed shop.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:31 pm

People need to have thicker skins, i don't want it being a 'i better reword that as to not cause offence' forum. On the other hand that doesn't mean people can/should write unprovoked personal abuse. You do get it with every single forum though, so.......

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Myopinion is that it wouldn't solve anything other than mean potential good posters can't get on here.

If they were potential good posters, they'd need to register to be able to post...

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:34 pm

carlccfc wrote:No I don't think it should tbh but if Annis decides it should be then that is his choice. I like the idea of away fans using the forum and that may stop them if it was a closed shop.

Yes that is a point i have not considered Carl. But again you have to be a member to post on here.
Maybe it won't solve anything but its an idea to put forward :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:42 pm

nerd wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Myopinion is that it wouldn't solve anything other than mean potential good posters can't get on here.

If they were potential good posters, they'd need to register to be able to post...

I don't think it changes much if anything, they register now and cause problems. People from other MB's already have accounts here even if they don't post so will copy and paste things over like they do now.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Cant you just permanently ban the people who cause trouble and keep a track of their ip address so that they cannot re register under a different name

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:51 pm

what i want to know is how come people can have so many accounts! ... shouldnt it be one account for every email address? .. something must be done though cause its not just abuse its gone beyond that in my eyes, its pure viciousness!

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:58 pm

AHERNE wrote:what i want to know is how come people can have so many accounts! ... shouldnt it be one account for every email address? .. something must be done though cause its not just abuse its gone beyond that in my eyes, its pure viciousness!

Aha that has just reminded me i said i was gonna ban you on Dayas site as soon as you came on. I knew there was something i had to do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have the power 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Oh that is a good point about the email address by the way and just one account :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: OK i will let you stay :ayatollah: Just behave yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Ok people keep up with me if you can.

People can have as many accounts as they please, with the use of alternate email address' and proxy's getting rod of these people is very unlikely, making it harder for them yo register view and post generally shouldn't be that hard there are two simple means to make it harder for them to cause havoc:

a range IP ban, I don't know if mods can IP ban on these forums but if you guys can and you don't know what a range IP ban is send me a message and I'd be happy to explain it to you. In basics it's a step up from an IP ban whereas an IP ban only affects one computer a range IP ban can affect a home and even in some cases a street.

This is a PHPBB forum so there should be PHPBB modifications that can help with forum security, one look around PHPBB's modification page should yeild some results and alot of helpful tools to help combat stupid posters.

To be perfectly honest for the amount of trouble that's on this forum it's very low tech and given an hour or two anyone with basic knowledge of PHPBB and it's modifications could make this forum a fotress.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 pm

typenamehere wrote:Ok people keep up with me if you can.

People can have as many accounts as they please, with the use of alternate email address' and proxy's getting rod of these people is very unlikely, making it harder for them yo register view and post generally shouldn't be that hard there are two simple means to make it harder for them to cause havoc:

a range IP ban, I don't know if mods can IP ban on these forums but if you guys can and you don't know what a range IP ban is send me a message and I'd be happy to explain it to you. In basics it's a step up from an IP ban whereas an IP ban only affects one computer a range IP ban can affect a home and even in some cases a street.

This is a PHPBB forum so there should be PHPBB modifications that can help with forum security, one look around PHPBB's modification page should yeild some results and alot of helpful tools to help combat stupid posters.

To be perfectly honest for the amount of trouble that's on this forum it's very low tech and given an hour or two anyone with basic knowledge of PHPBB and it's modifications could make this forum a fotress.

If you can do that PM Annis and have a chat with him :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:13 pm

I will do, a quick modIfication would stop people from being able to view this forum under proxy, coupled with an IP = bye bye baker ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I voted to keep it as it is, other teams fans come on here and most of the time the debates with them are brilliant and I do include some of the jacks in that. Making it a members only forum for viewing will take away that so if everyone just flagged the posts that are snipers and dont answer them also they will get bored of snipping and hopefully feckoff :D
Some people really do need to grow up, we are all City fans ffs. :old:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Range IP address bans are pointless. Most people now use routers and can change there MAC Address which deems any range IP ban or any other kind of IP ban null and void.

If they change there MAC Address people who have been IP banned will keep coming back time and time again i'm afriad.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
AHERNE wrote:what i want to know is how come people can have so many accounts! ... shouldnt it be one account for every email address? .. something must be done though cause its not just abuse its gone beyond that in my eyes, its pure viciousness!

Aha that has just reminded me i said i was gonna ban you on Dayas site as soon as you came on. I knew there was something i had to do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have the power 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Oh that is a good point about the email address by the way and just one account :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: OK i will let you stay :ayatollah: Just behave yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

F**K IT, I WAS HOPING YOU WAS GONNA BAN ME OFF THERE TOO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 pm

yes make it members only :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm

AHERNE wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

F**K IT, I WAS HOPING YOU WAS GONNA BAN ME OFF THERE TOO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Banned you. Reason given "For being a tool" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come crawling back sonny :lol: 3 more bans and i will be the only poster :D

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Cardiff_Llandaff_Bluebird wrote:Range IP address bans are pointless. Most people now use routers and can change there MAC Address which deems any range IP ban or any other kind of IP ban null and void.

If they change there MAC Address people who have been IP banned will keep coming back time and time again i'm afriad.

Like the range IP block Wikipedia used to get rid of a persistent troller that took out most of Colorado?