Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Furniture Scam

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi All,

As wholesalers you are in a position to contact more people in the trade than me.
I would be grateful if you could pass on to or let as many Furniture Retails the following;

As if things weren't hard enough....On Friday we were robbed of approx 10,000 of stock. It is a scam and non too subtle one at that by a group of travellers. Currently they are active in Longford but I'm sure it won't be too long before they are doing it countrywide. The have also done other retailers (non Furniture), basically anyone who delivers.

It goes as follows;

You get a call from a landlord who needs to furnish a house or several houses. He has clients moving in and needs stuff ASAP. He is looking for decent stuff (not cheap and not too dear). You will get a list of what is needed. A price is agreed and he says cash on delivery is prefered. No problems so far!
Once you arrive to deliver there is nothing out of the ordinary; the house is nice, his name is correct, phone number is okay, address is correct. All this means you are okay and safe (usually).
You need to unload so client can see what he is paying for. Everything is put into his warehouse. It is closed and locked. There is several things that will now happen, none of which ends up with payment. In my case after a few hours of nonsense he didn't have the cash to hand and was waiting for someone to call with it. In the end I took a credit card number (no good). Removing the goods at this point isn't an option as to do so would cause problems from the now numerous travellers present.
I was done on Friday and on Saturday two more retailers were done. He now just grabs the invoice book and takes his receipt. From talking to the Gard he did several during the week as well.
There aim is to get the invoice or some kind of notice from the seller. With this the Garda can't even cross the threshhold of his house.

These lads are mad and have no regard for law or you. Chasing them afterwards isn't the best option either as we have already been warned to leave it for fear of violence or damage to our store.

Re: Furniture Scam

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 pm

my dads got furniture i told him bout this he said he sells to gypos all the time as he sells in swansea

Re: Furniture Scam

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:50 am

ALL scams depend on someone thinking that the offer put in front of them is just too good to turn down. REAL TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT IF SOMETHING SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT ISN'T.JUST WALK AWAY.