Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We still need another 9 (nine) players!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:15 am

That's my opinion anyway. We need a left back (Taylor hopefully), a centre back, 2 wingers to give competition for Whittingham and Conway, 2 centre midfielders to give our centre midfield - the most important part of our team imo strength in depth, I think a choice of Cowie, McPhail and Wildig (plus Whitts who can do a job in centre midfield) are not strong enough, so we need another 2 centre midfielders, plus we need another 3 strikers (hopefully Bellamy, Goodwillie and Earnie) to join Parkin would make our squad complete imo, although I would still love us to sign a proper target man like Darius Henderson (I know he's just signed for Millwall, but someone like him) who can stick his head in where it hurts in the box and get on the end of crosses to give us that extra option.

Sorry if my spelling, punctuation, grammar etc is poor by the way, i've had a bit to drink tonight but I hope everyone who reads this gets the meaning of my post! :lol:

Re: We still need another 9 (nine) players!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:41 am

Only position I dont agree about i CB, we have Hudson, Gerrard, Keinan all good enough and Gypes and Blake ane Kev who can cover. If we signed a CB id expect two CB's to leave likely Gypes for certain and prob Gerrard

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:30 am

Does anybody know who Goodwillie's strike partner is with Dundee Utd.

Does he like playing upfront on his own or does he like a big man next to him?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:46 am

SA17 Bluebird wrote:Does anybody know who Goodwillie's strike partner is with Dundee Utd.

Yeah Jon Daly bit of a journeyman/targetman - didn't knock that many goals in during his spells in the lower league but has scored 29 goals from 95 games for Dundee United, which isnt bad considering he has done his Posterior cruciate ligament twice and his anterior cruciate ligament once, bit of a tough guy by the sounds of things. Don't be surprised if we make a move for him, looks like he's a bit of a late developer at 28. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 am

ihatealiens wrote:
SA17 Bluebird wrote:Does anybody know who Goodwillie's strike partner is with Dundee Utd.

Yeah Jon Daly bit of a journeyman/targetman - didn't knock that many goals in during his spells in the lower league but has scored 29 goals from 95 games for Dundee United, which isnt bad considering he has done his Posterior cruciate ligament twice and his anterior cruciate ligament once, bit of a tough guy by the sounds of things. Don't be surprised if we make a move for him, looks like he's a bit of a late developer at 28. :ayatollah:

Maybe Mackay will use Parkin similar to Daly then. As Carl said in one of his posts, we might be seeing a lot more of Jon this season.

It is pretty obvious now that if Earnie comes in then he will be back up for Goodwillie.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am

SA17 Bluebird wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

Maybe Mackay will use Parkin similar to Daly then. As Carl said in one of his posts, we might be seeing a lot more of Jon this season.

It is pretty obvious now that if Earnie comes in then he will be back up for Goodwillie.

We could do worse than get this Jon Daly in as back up to Parkin, wouldn't cost much, he is highly thought of up there and is in fact club Captain for Dundee United and has become a cult figure in Scotland.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:53 am

I agree with the post except for the CB, got that already covered. I would like us to sign a tough midfielder. Someone who likes a tackle and doesn't mind sticking the foot in. Any news on that Arsenal kid as he sounded decent?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 am

Personally I think the defense cost us last season and apart from Gerrard returning, we still have the same defense that cost us. I think Keinan showed his liabilities towards the end of the season, so Keinan and Gyepes should be sold imo. We now have Gerrard to cover one of them and I think we need to bring in another good centre back to partner Gerrard or Hudson. It's all about strength in depth, if Gerrard or Hudson get injured this season, I will have no confidence in our defense and I think we'll leak goals.

That kid from Arsenal, Emmanuel Frimpong says us and Charlton have put offers in for him, although this was a week or two ago now and I haven't seen any news since. But he seems the exact type of high energy, tough tackling defensive midfielder we need. Here's some footage of him in a friendly away to Barnet, he's number 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WdoAZ_4Dls

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

i still want mackay to use our yongsters :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:i still want mackay to use our yongsters :ayatollah:

I would be all for that, but what youngsters do we have that can cut it at this level? Wildig failed with Hamilton so he isn't ready, the only other youngster mentioned that seems to be breaking through is Ibrahim Farah, but it's a huge ask throwing him in at the deep end, he'll need to be loaned out to a League 2 club to show what he can do and get experience. Nathaniel Jarvis failed to break into the Southend team last season so he isn't an option for us this season either.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I would be all for that, but what youngsters do we have that can cut it at this level? Wildig failed with Hamilton so he isn't ready, the only other youngster mentioned that seems to be breaking through is Ibrahim Farah, but it's a huge ask throwing him in at the deep end, he'll need to be loaned out to a League 2 club to show what he can do and get experience. Nathaniel Jarvis failed to break into the Southend team last season so he isn't an option for us this season either.

jarvis may not have had a chance at southend due to lack of games, farah has great potential by the looks of things. Alex Evans is another one.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

jarvis may not have had a chance at southend due to lack of games, farah has great potential by the looks of things. Alex Evans is another one.

Is Alex Evans a centre back? I remember last season we let a centre back go, who then went on to have a trial with Man Utd and they snapped him up straight away. But Neil Ardley said the reason we let him go was because we have a better centre back in the academy and I think the name he said was Alex Evans. Apparantly, Alex Evans beat everyone in the bleep test as well, he's currently the fittest player at our club, including all the first team squad.