Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Surely we cant have another season with McPhail in the squad

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 am

Midfield general wrote:His best days were a hell of a long time ago

I couldn't disagree more.....I thought his contribution last season after coming back from his illness was excellent....he didn't moan and groan, he got fit and led by example....he's a good bloke to have around, and a good player, I hope he stays on, the younger players will look up to players like him, he's a top pro and an unsung hero.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 am

Midfield general wrote:His attitude is very professional and fully agree with you about that but in my opinion he just cant meet the required standard at this level anymore.

I think he can still do a job for a couple of seasons, whether he'll be a regular in the team is another thing, I'll be happy if he's still with us...he knows this Division inside out now..

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 am

I will be very disappointed if he is not in the squad.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 am

thie thread makes no sense at all, good servant to the club, good player. i was glad when he signed a new contract

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:58 am

Agree Completely. He's ok when your 4-0 up with 20 mins to go and you want to give someone a rest.

New manager here now, i'm confident he won't be looking at McPhail as his main man.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:28 am

If there is a change in our football philosophy and we actually get the ball down and play then Macca WILL BE AN ASSETT, his ability to move the ball is exeptional and he is very popular among the squad, also if you remember last season Bellamy said McPhail was his favourite player to play with, his contribution is underestimated by so many and it really pisses me off the ammount of stick he gets. Such a loyal player to the club and i'll always admire him for his comeback from illness :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 am

Another player played too deep by Dave Jones when he needs to be further forward. No point sticking him in front of the back 4, with Oli, or Rae ahead of him and ask him to dictate play in the final third.

Only really with Ledley or against a very poor midfield was he able to do exactly what he can.

If MM wants him then i'll be thrilled, I think he will be a squad player, but if MM is going to have creative players pushed further on than they were under DJ, a clear sign of this is Cowie signing, then he could have a far more progressive season. Depends too, on how he links up with Goodwillie. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:04 am

firstly....we cant afford to get rid of many players not even naylor, our squad is very thin !!

second. mcphails class is clear to see. anybody who is playing a bit out of there comfort zone inconsistanly in and out of the team isnt going to be there best. he did have a serious illness. i feel he has a lot to offer the team on and off the pitch. especially if were bringing in your players !!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:11 am

What an idiot...you just have something against McPhail. Hees clearly good to go for another season

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 am

Some people don't appreciate what McPhail does because he doesn't sprint from box to box, score screamers from 30 yards out, etc, but that's not his game, imo he's the best passer at the club and the way he keeps possession of the ball for the team under extreme pressure on many occasions, not many else at not only the club but in the entire league are able to do it. Yes he does go backwards many of times but that's his game, keeping the possession of the ball and if you haven't got the ball, not only is it going to be harder for the team but your not going to win games without it. Yes he does make a few stupid tackles but maybe MM can sort that part of his game out. But no way would I want to see him go.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 am

tom270790 wrote:

What an idiot...you just have something against McPhail. Hees clearly good to go for another season

Whys he an idiot?

Someone mentioned that we should play McPhail further up the pitch. Why?
He never scores goals! McPhail goes missing far too often on that pitch, and
particularly in the big games.

Do you play a midfielder who can shoot, tackle, get in the box, defend, score goals.

Or do you play one who can 'pick out a pass' if given time and space on the ball.

No brainer.

McPhails a good 'footballer' at times, we need more than that from a player

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 am

SeanJr wrote:If there is a change in our football philosophy and we actually get the ball down and play then Macca WILL BE AN ASSETT, his ability to move the ball is exeptional and he is very popular among the squad, also if you remember last season Bellamy said McPhail was his favourite player to play with, his contribution is underestimated by so many and it really pisses me off the ammount of stick he gets. Such a loyal player to the club and i'll always admire him for his comeback from illness :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 am

tom270790 wrote:

:ayatollah:

another couple of seasons :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:28 am

taffyapple wrote:
Do you play a midfielder who can shoot, tackle, get in the box, defend, score goals.

Or do you play one who can 'pick out a pass' if given time and space on the ball.

No brainer.

You'd play both those types of players, not the same types, no brainer.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am

taffyapple wrote:Someone mentioned that we should play McPhail further up the pitch. Why?
He never scores goals!

I don't think hes ever been given much of a license to go there, midfielders under DJ always sat back, i'm not saying he will score a load of goals, but he would be more effective if played correctly.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 am

The more I read your posts the more I'm in disbelief! He's a good player for us and has been for years, If he is replaced he is still a solid squad player. Didn't you want Whits out last week? Are you trying to get rid of all our loyal hard working players?
Unbelievable.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:45 am

taffyapple wrote:
tom270790 wrote:

Whys he an idiot?

Someone mentioned that we should play McPhail further up the pitch. Why?
He never scores goals! McPhail goes missing far too often on that pitch, and
particularly in the big games.

No brainer.

McPhails a good 'footballer' at times, we need more than that from a player

mcphail can control the game and he commits to tackles aswell he doesnt score goals but in a team with as many goal scorers that we field why does he need to?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

McPhail should have left straight after his buddy Dave Jones. If you could only get rid of that tosser Ali on the mike i'd be a happy bloke.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Don't think he should be an automatic starter but definitely room for him in the squad!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm

McPhail is class, end of ! Not sure if he'll be a regular starter this season, but most clubs in the league would take him without much hesitation I'm sure !

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:22 pm

I think hes a cracking player puts good balls through to our strikers :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 pm

At the moment mcphail would be in my team and captain, no doubt.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 pm

McPhail is under contract until 2013, and he can be quality if played correctly.

Dave Jones hates centre-midfield players loves full backs and wingers. Signing Cowie has really made me week, shows we are going to play proper football, not as DJ did, long balls and playing wide.