Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

£38 MIL TO ETHIOPIA???? NO THANKS...

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:09 am

LET EM DIE!

No offence but we got enough problems of our own, if God
wont give em rain, why should we give them money?

Re: £38 MIL TO ETHIOPIA???? NO THANKS...

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:34 am

I wouldn't say let them die, a bit harsh, but we should sort our own problems out before we try and solve others problems. A bit of that money going back into our own economy to try to stimulate industry and help our unemployment problems wouldn't go amiss.

I remember working with a bloke years ago who said, instead of sending millions of pounds worth of aid which a lot of got embezzled by corrupt regimes, we should have sent condoms out. That would slow down their population explosions

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:38 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I wouldn't say let them die, a bit harsh, but we should sort our own problems out before we try and solve others problems. A bit of that money going back into our own economy to try to stimulate industry and help our unemployment problems wouldn't go amiss.

I remember working with a bloke years ago who said, instead of sending millions of pounds worth of aid which a lot of got embezzled by corrupt regimes, we should have sent condoms out. That would slow down their population explosions

Perhaps 'let them die' was unnecessary

But facts are, Britain have turned round and said "Rich Countries like us need to help!!"

...Yet they tell us we're skint, got no money, give up your pensions etc etc etc

Sorry Ethiopia, your f**k all to do with me

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:39 am

taffyapple wrote:LET EM DIE!

Compared to people starving in Africa we don't have a single problem in the world.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 am

Did he honestly really just post that?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:49 am

taffyapple wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:I wouldn't say let them die, a bit harsh, but we should sort our own problems out before we try and solve others problems. A bit of that money going back into our own economy to try to stimulate industry and help our unemployment problems wouldn't go amiss.

But facts are, Britain have turned round and said "Rich Countries like us need to help!!"

...Yet they tell us we're skint, got no money, give up your pensions etc etc etc

Agree with you there, mate.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 am

taffyapple wrote:

I'm sure Ethiopia is very glad of this fact.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:23 am

I'm very reluctant to support giving financial aid to other countries when we are ballsing it up on our own turf. I think this is why a lot of people are finding it hard to sympathise with the cuts this government are making. They'll say we have to tighten our belts and sacrifices have to be made. Then we're bailing Greece and Ireland out (Ireland, I may say, offers a ridiculously large amount for those on the dole so you don't have to look far to see where their problems lie!) and giving millions in financial aid to a country that will remain in the same state for the next few generations due to the corrupt nature of those in power.

Sorry but the government really doesn't help itself. The Ethiopians have my total heartfelt condolence but we have too many issues to deal with right now.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:27 am

That is about 90p - £1 from every tax payer, I think that is easily an acceptable amount.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:30 am

bornsurvivor wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

I'm sure Ethiopia is very glad of this fact.

Tough tittie.

Seriously.

You could build a childrens home in Britain with £38m and run it for years.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 am

RFMH wrote:That is about 90p - £1 from every tax payer, I think that is easily an acceptable amount.

By your calculations it would be a piece of piss for the British Tax Payer
to stop hospitals and schools closing down in THIS country though!!

Charity begins at home

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 am

taffyapple wrote:

What about the millions wasted sending people to war. Cut the army in half, that'd sort out our "problems" in no time whatsoever.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 am

bornsurvivor wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

What about the millions wasted sending people to war. Cut the army in half, that'd sort out our "problems" in no time whatsoever.

Not a bad idea (if you were looking for a bite) But people would argue that we do need
our Armed Forces, most countries have an Army (including Ethiopia)..stop sending ours to
places like Afhanistan in a heartbeat, definitely. Another dirty, corrupt, third world country
that has f**k all to do with us!!

Either the Government start looking after number one, or stop telling us the
Country is skint.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 am

f*cking hell mate.. :shock:

I totally understand people being pissed off about it but Let Them Die is a tad harsh.. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 am

The thing is despite the cuts and everything that is going on in the UK the majority of the population in this country live
in relative luxury compared to Ethiopians.

Im not saying this is you Taffy, but most of the people complaining about it will more
thank likely have season tickets down the city, have sky tv and the internet at home, been abroad at least once in the last
2 years, probably payed for the Haye fight and watched it on their widescreen, run a car, maybe 2, have a couple of cases of stella down the shed next to the lawnmower and the mountain bike that never see's the light of day.

Times are hard? not from what I see! yeah people may have had to not go so mental with their spending but thats life.

Take pride in the fact that £38 million should help give some poor little fecker some antibiotics so he dont have to die of a cureable illness like Pneumonia or a Chest Infection.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:The thing is despite the cuts and everything that is going on in the UK the majority of the population in this country live
in relative luxury compared to Ethiopians.

Im not saying this is you Taffy, but most of the people complaining about it will more
thank likely have season tickets down the city, have sky tv and the internet at home, been abroad at least once in the last
2 years, probably payed for the Haye fight and watched it on their widescreen, run a car, maybe 2, have a couple of cases of stella down the shed next to the lawnmower and the mountain bike that never see's the light of day.

Times are hard? not from what I see! yeah people may have had to not go so mental with their spending but thats life.

Take pride in the fact that £38 million should help give some poor little fecker some antibiotics so he dont have to die of a cureable illness like Pneumonia or a Chest Infection.

Let them die was well harsh. Wrong of me, i didnt really mean that.

I DO believe we have been sending money to Ethiopia and the like for far too long, it
always ends up the same way. Corrupt troops and Government officials divert the
money for their own ends, shame on the people but what does Britain do? keep sending
them money year after year when they have no idea bout birth control and keep dropping
babies they cant afford to feed?

NOPE. As you say, we arent as poor as them, so i reckon if people want to donate to the
Ethiopians then they do it off their own backs. Set up a bank account that anyone can just
pop in and donate.

If they only get a few hundred grand then tough shit, Britain has spoken

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 am

First of all £38m is f**k all when you consider the size of the budget, that'd money will go way further there than here.

Secondly we waste way more money in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya (yes we are still there), at least this money will do some good instead of fighting for America's future oil.

Also mentioning God is irrelevant seeing how he doesn't exists and there's zero proof that he does. So for now let's just talk about the facts. Separation of church and state and all that jazz.

As far as letting them die is concerned, if you honestly feel that then I pity you. To lack any sort of empathy based purely on the fact that you were lucky enough to be born in a society were you are given access to clean water, healthy food and free healthcare is heartbreaking.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:49 am

Heres the reason why I dont want us giving them aid....the money which we give to African countries goes straight to the African governments whom then don't give it to the poor people who needs it.

AFRICE IS ONLY POVERTY RIDDEN DUE TO THEIR CORRUPT GOVERNMENTS. THE WORLDS ECONOMY WOULD'VE BEEN FINE IF THEIR SHITTY GOVERNMENTS WERENT CORRUPT. rant over

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:51 am

Sorry I have been told we as a Country are so broke they can't afford to give my Mrs the Drugs she needs to give her a much better quality of life as she has M.S and most days she is in a lot of pain and for a lot of it she is getting more housebound. But hey send all our Money to a distant land whos own guntas wont look after them.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:56 am

@Nukes.

That is so wrong mate about your wife and I hope you are onto as many people as you can about it, local MP etc.

As for Ethiopia, yep, corruption is rife, we should never be giving them actual money, but at a time when they are suffering their worst drought for 60 years I think it is only a good thing we are helping.

Having said that, I can understand your frustrations and what is also annoying is that we are one of the only countries to be helping when it should be the WHOLE WORLD that is standing by Ethiopia.

All the best.

Gazzafromthepenaltyspot.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 am

MyNameIsAled wrote:

First of all £38m is f**k all when you consider the size of the budget, that'd money will go way further there than here.

Secondly we waste way more money in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya (yes we are still there), at least this money will do some good instead of fighting for America's future oil.

Also mentioning God is irrelevant seeing how he doesn't exists and there's zero proof that he does. So for now let's just talk about the facts. Separation of church and state and all that jazz.

As far as letting them die is concerned, if you honestly feel that then I pity you. To lack any sort of empathy based purely on the fact that you were lucky enough to be born in a society were you are given access to clean water, healthy food and free healthcare is heartbreaking.

FACTS?

OK.

We send billions and billions to Countries that waste it, every year. Ethiopia is the
best example. The world has been propping it up for years, we have sent enough money
over there to feed the Country ten times over... yet they manage to feed half a million
military personell, they manage to spend a billion a year on defence, and not a penny
teaching the ignorant fuckers how to put a condom on

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 am

@Taffy.

Totaly agree with you about the corruption mate but
that doesnt mean we should turn our back on innocent
Ethiopians.

We need to find alternative ways to help them without
spoonfeeding them actual £ notes..

:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Sorry I have been told we as a Country are so broke they can't afford to give my Mrs the Drugs she needs to give her a much better quality of life as she has M.S and most days she is in a lot of pain and for a lot of it she is getting more housebound. But hey send all our Money to a distant land whos own guntas wont look after them.

totally sympathise Nuclear blue, in a very similar postion myself.

Remember Bandaid / live aid? Geldof and Bono telling us to feed the world. only last week wasn't it?.............................
........................ oh no its been 26 years of the same shit. if they cant sort their basics out after all the help they've had what more can we do for them.
yes it sounds harsh, but if we stop sending aid there'll be nothing going in to the place. if there's nothing going in, no arms dealers will sell there. no weapons, they might prioritise more

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

taffyapple wrote:
MyNameIsAled wrote:

FACTS?

OK.

We send billions and billions to Countries that waste it, every year. Ethiopia is the
best example. The world has been propping it up for years, we have sent enough money
over there to feed the Country ten times over... yet they manage to feed half a million
military personell, they manage to spend a billion a year on defence, and not a penny
teaching the ignorant fuckers how to put a condom on

totally agree Taffy. THIS IS CORRUPTION AT ITS BEST. Personally I'd love to see the majority of African governments taken out. Theres a country in Africa which has diamond mine, and people are still in poverty. I'd rather see our government send doctors, teachers, tradesmen out to the poverty stricken parts of africa and teach them everything they know, so those in poverty can kick start their lives, strengthen the economy and make the world a better place.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

[/quote]

totally agree Taffy. THIS IS CORRUPTION AT ITS BEST. Personally I'd love to see the majority of African governments taken out. Theres a country in Africa which has diamond mine, and people are still in poverty. I'd rather see our government send doctors, teachers, tradesmen out to the poverty stricken parts of africa and teach them everything they know, so those in poverty can kick start their lives, strengthen the economy and make the world a better place.[/quote]

We've been there, done it, got the t-shirts. Sadly nothing seems to work.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 am

CarmarthenBluebird wrote:

totally agree Taffy. THIS IS CORRUPTION AT ITS BEST. Personally I'd love to see the majority of African governments taken out. Theres a country in Africa which has diamond mine, and people are still in poverty. I'd rather see our government send doctors, teachers, tradesmen out to the poverty stricken parts of africa and teach them everything they know, so those in poverty can kick start their lives, strengthen the economy and make the world a better place.[/quote]

We've been there, done it, got the t-shirts. Sadly nothing seems to work.[/quote]

its a real shame tbh. Seeing their governments neglect them like that.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:58 am

The economist Roger Bootle believes that the Overseas Aid budget should be suspended.

"According to the government's plans, by 2013 the overseas aid budget will reach £12 billion, or 0.7pc of GDP. That is £12bn which could be used to increase demand at home."

Figures show that the UK spending on foreign aid - including the amount spent by departments other than DFID - will rise by 50 per cent, increasing from £8.4billion in 2010 to £12.6 billion in 2014. The £12.6 billion figure is equal to £479 for every household in Britain.

Germany spends 0.38% of GDP and the US 0.21% of GDP on overseas aid. With the UK economy in a hole, is 0.7% an extravagance for an increasingly poor and indebted nation? 0.7% equates to the additional income from the VAT increase we hear so many getting agitated about on here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... udget.html

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 pm

taffyapple wrote:

What a horrible person you are with no compassion to fellow human beings who are suffering! Im glad your just a minority....

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Anarch0 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

What a horrible person you are with no compassion to fellow human beings who are suffering! Im glad your just a minority....

open your eyes and ears, he's not a minority.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 pm

It's not just that one country though, there's lots of others. We are behaving like Dell Boy, we are on the bones of our arse and we are giving it the big one flashing cash around to everyone.

India is the one that pisses me off the most. They say the 4-5 Billion we give them every year goes to the slums etc. Well if India chooses to spend their own money on nuclear arms and a space program rather than look after their own people then surely that's their choice. India is not a new country, they've been around long enough to sort themselves out without having to bum off other countries in the world.

I'd love to see the UK have it's own space program, so can we not give those billions to India and spent it on our very own space program? Tell India to simply cancel their space program and give the money they save to their poorest people in the slums? Sorted!

Apart from India we get Pakistan on the phone with their begging bowl out. "Yes now you've given all that money to India they've got themsleves some nuclear war heads. We've got a nuclear arms program as well so if we spend all our meney on more war heads can you chip in and sort out our poor people please? Yes £650 million would be okay to start, thank you very mugs sir, sorry did I say mugs? Oops!

All the while back here in the UK some people who are dieing of cancer are having their benefits taken away because the government are getting tough and telling them they are fit for work! Hope it's a temp job they want them to take! :shock: