Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Andrew Taylor Latest

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

:old: Andrew Taylor will have a medical today before completing his move to Cardiff City.

Left-back Taylor, a former England Under-21 international, joins from Middlesbrough on a free transfer because he is out of contract and aged 24.

Boro boss Tony Mowbray worked hard to keep Taylor at the club, while Bristol City reportedly offered the defender more money than either Middlesbrough or Cardiff.

But Taylor has decided to join the Bluebirds and says: “I chose Cardiff because of the manager and the fact I believed this was the best move for my football.”

Hartlepool-born Taylor played under new Cardiff boss Malky Mackay during a loan spell at Watford last season.

He becomes Mackay’s third signing following the acquisitions of Dundee United winger Craig Conway and Watford midfielder Don Cowie.

Like Taylor, the pair were out of contracts with their clubs.

Mackay is still chasing hard to sign Dundee United’s David Goodwillie, having made a £2m offer to secure the Scotland striker’s services.

The Scot is also also keen on Coventry’s out-of-contract midfield player Aron Gunnarsson, but the Iceland international is currently considering several offers.

Taylor, who made 145 senior appearances for Middlesbrough, has verbally committed to the Bluebirds.

He said: “People are going to think it’s because of money that I signed for Cardiff, but it’s not.

“It has never been about money. I’ve been at Middlesbrough for many years and it’s probably the right time to move on.

“It’s the hardest decision I’ve had to make in my life.

“It’s an upsetting thing to leave my home club. I’ve been here since I was nine.

“But I feel this is the time to move on and look to progress my career.

“I worked for Malky at Watford and really enjoyed my time there. I’m looking forward to playing for him again.”

While Taylor tied up his move over the weekend, Goodwillie played for Dundee United on their tour of Ireland on Saturday.

Both Rangers and Blackpool are still in the chase, but Cardiff are hot favourites to sign him.

Tangerines’ boss Peter Houston believes Goodwillie should say no to Scottish champions Rangers and head south to play in the Championship.

“If Rangers match any bids from someone else then it will be up to David where he goes. That will be fine by me because, ultimately, it will be his decision,” said Houston.

“But, in my opinion he should get out of the limelight and start afresh elsewhere.

“There is no doubt that of all the clubs mentioned so far (in relation to signing Goodwillie) Rangers are by far the biggest.

“However, as someone who knows David well and has worked with him for five years, with all the troubles he has had off the field he would be better going elsewhere. I don’t think they (the pundits) are thinking about what is in his best interests.

“Is it in David’s interests to go into the goldfish bowl in Glasgow? I don’t think so.

“I am from Glasgow. I grew up in the city so I know about all the things that come with playing for Rangers or Celtic.

“In normal circumstances going to Rangers would be a great move because they are a great club.

“But for David; I just don’t think it is the best thing for him to do.

“David is that good that he could go down south just now and still play for Rangers later in his life.

“People should think about what they are saying before they start giving him advice.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1R7NVMV8A