Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How to fund the purchase of Craig Bellamy....

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Thinking outside the box here:

Background
Man City will let him go for £4m (or probably less) and he earns in the region of £70k per week.

Problem
Man City want CB off their books and we cant afford £70k per week

Solution

a) We offer £3m for CB

b) Instead of a weekly salary we provide CB with £2.6m worth of shares (Based on £50k x 52 weeks) in the club

Benefits
a) Man City are happy because they have £6.6m back into their budget (£3m from transfer and £3.6m salary)
b) CCFC are happy because we have secured his services
c) We have not broken our Salary Structure
d) I would like to think CB would accept this as he probably hasnt spent Newcastles Salary yet!
e) Additionally - once promoted, and shares double in price, CB will have received more than he would have had he stayed at Man City (i.e effectively £100k per week).

We operate in a society where everyone receives a "salary". However, in some instances, I just wonder whether this is entirely necessary.

.... Carl.. If you like the idea feel free to mention it to Tg :ayatollah:

Re: How to fund the purchase of Craig Bellamy....

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Question - Can you have somebody on the books (player, Bellamy) without earning wages? Can you LEGALLY subsitute him being paid wages for a lump sum of shares?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm

i could go round with a bellamy bucket collecting change. maybe perform a little dance??

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 pm

May be some legality about a player owning shares in the club, possibly?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Dafydd wrote:Question - Can you have somebody on the books (player, Bellamy) without earning wages? Can you LEGALLY subsitute him being paid wages for a lump sum of shares?

A certain poster may know, but that could be construed as deliberately avoiding PAYE/NI contributions?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:34 pm

nerd wrote:
Dafydd wrote:Question - Can you have somebody on the books (player, Bellamy) without earning wages? Can you LEGALLY subsitute him being paid wages for a lump sum of shares?

A certain poster may know, but that could be construed as deliberately avoiding PAYE/NI contributions?

That's what I was thinking. Seeing as he would be an employee of Cardiff, he'd have to pay PAYE/NI, unless he paid it seperately? Though I couldn't see that being allowed.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 pm

That should just be deductible from his earnings per share?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I don't see a problem

When I worked at Admiral and we received our shares the following happened:

a) we received the shares
b) we paid tax and ni on them in the same way as if we had received cash

It shouldn't be a problem. There is certainly no tax avoidance as tax/ni would have to be paid on the shares.

I just think this could be a way around it?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I don't see a problem

When I worked at Admiral and we received our shares the following happened:

a) we received the shares
b) we paid tax and ni on them in the same way as if we had received cash

It shouldn't be a problem. There is certainly no tax avoidance as tax/ni would have to be paid on the shares.

I just think this could be a way around it?

You also received a salary. There are way too many technicalities in this for anyone to be comfortable with

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I can't see way paying CB in shares would be a problem. If he needs to be receiving a salary as suggested, then give him a 3 year 40 hour week contract set at the National Minimum Wage and throw the shares on top.

There could also be an insentive clause that he receives say 40% of any additonal Premier Seating sold after he signs for us.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:07 pm

nerd wrote:

Like company cars and such I would imagine they would be treated as income in kind and tax would be payable on them. May be the HMRC could be offered shares to cover the cost ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nerd wrote:

Like company cars and such I would imagine they would be treated as income in kind and tax would be payable on them. May be the HMRC could be offered shares to cover the cost ;)

;)

The point would be, for me, tax on dividends from those shares would be a lot less, from memory, than PAYE on salary. I use an accountant because it's all maths and, well, frightfully boring, but my salary is acceptably low with dividends - advice received was that no salary would not be acceptable to HMRC in any way, shape or form.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 pm

didnt he say he would play for free if he had too?
im sure he would accept 10-15k a week to play for city.
we just need to find the 4 million or a way around that