Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cracked iPhone screen

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I've cracked the glass on my iPhone, anyone know where I can get it fixed and the prices?

Re: Cracked iPhone screen

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Pontypridd market £100

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:23 pm

You could probably get it fixed in the indoor market in town. They've fixed my screens before, not for an iPhone though.

Not sure of prices, but it really depends if its outer or inner screen. Outer screen will cost less.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Dafydd wrote:You could probably get it fixed in the indoor market in town. They've fixed my screens before, not for an iPhone though.

Not sure of prices, but it really depends if its outer or inner screen. Outer screen will cost less.

It is the outer screen for iPhone 3GS, it still works ok, just got cracks all over it, could go the insurance route but got excess of £50 and probs take a lot longer so looking for a quick fix for around the same price

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:30 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TECHGEAR-iPhone ... 192&sr=8-2

There are some more around, VERY VERY easy to do. Saves you about £90 :)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Yea, my mate gets new screens from ebay for around £4.
Its really easy to do, there are many youtube videos. £100 is a rip off!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:36 pm

i paid £40 to have mine replaced at Simtek World on Albany Road

You can actually do it yourself with a hairdryer etc but it apparantly takes a few hours to do

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 pm

There are kits on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPLACEMENT-D ... 927wt_1057
My mate fixed his with these kits ,give it a go :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Cheers everyone, think I'm gonna give it a go myself, will let you know how I get on!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:37 pm

screen kit on ebay £10 comes with tools and is a piece of piss to do! If your unsure - then you can follow a tutorial on youtube just in case..... :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Mate of mine does em, cheaper than ponty market too.
His mrs had a baby today so not sure if he will answer a facebook message..worth the wait if it saves a few quid though eh?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:48 pm

NOOOOO ! Tale it into the apple store in town. They check if its still under warranty if so do it for free. If not £80 and five min job!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Western Blue wrote:NOOOOO ! Tale it into the apple store in town. They check if its still under warranty if so do it for free. If not £80 and five min job!!!

£80!!! lol

I repaired about 3 or 4 now for £15 (£10 for parts and a fiver for doing it! :lol: )

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Merlin your mother must be proud ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Merlin is an IPhone god!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:28 pm

How about the inner screen mine is cracked and can't use touch screen

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 pm

They're extremely easy to do yourself. Get a screen on eBay, find a tutorial online and you'll do it in no time. Once the warranty is up on my iPhone im going to mod it.

Something like this with LED's.

http://www.todaysiphone.com/wp-content/ ... e-back.jpg

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I've replaced one myself, and I'm cack handed it really is easy, just order the replacement off e bay and look for a you tube video, you'll save yourself a fortune and feel good that you did it yourself, well I did and I'm still telling anyone who'll listen to me. :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Tubzo wrote:How about the inner screen mine is cracked and can't use touch screen

You need a screen and digitizer - try amazon - pretty cheap last time I checked about £60 all in! ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:They're extremely easy to do yourself. Get a screen on eBay, find a tutorial online and you'll do it in no time. Once the warranty is up on my iPhone im going to mod it.

You can get the clear battery cover already. Won't get led's though.

White conversion kit for me soon ;) £49 - Amazon !!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Merlin wrote:
NinianBluebird1927 wrote:They're extremely easy to do yourself. Get a screen on eBay, find a tutorial online and you'll do it in no time. Once the warranty is up on my iPhone im going to mod it.

BTW replacing the back cover by undoing the 2 screws at bottom does not effect your warranty ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:52 pm

All I can suggest to any poor sod who owns a I Phone or a Blackberry is to get rid a.s.a.p and purchase either a HTC or a Samsung.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Merlin wrote:
Merlin wrote:

BTW replacing the back cover by undoing the 2 screws at bottom does not effect your warranty ;)

Yes it does. Apple can tell if the back has been removed. My mate works there and they can tell. Some will let it slide and still repair your phone even if they notice, some will be strict and refuse to fix it. It depends on the person in store. They do this to make sure you dont do any repairs on the battery yourself. Any faults, you're supposed to take it to Apple to be repaired.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I've stripped and rebuilt 2 iPhone 4's there is no bands or seals on the back of the cover it simply slides up once the 2 screws are removed - however! Inside there are a couple of rubber grommets over the screws and a ribbon on the mother board,also the antenna connection is in such a position to be noticeable if moved! But as long as you have the right screw driver you shouldn't damage the head, it will be fine ;)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Cardiff_Llandaff_Bluebird wrote:All I can suggest to any poor sod who owns a I Phone or a Blackberry is to get rid a.s.a.p and purchase either a HTC or a Samsung.

:lol: It's all about opinion = and my preference is iP4. :)

iP5 available late september apparently! :shock:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Merlin wrote:I've stripped and rebuilt 2 iPhone 4's there is no bands or seals on the back of the cover it simply slides up once the 2 screws are removed - however! Inside there are a couple of rubber grommets over the screws and a ribbon on the mother board,also the antenna connection is in such a position to be noticeable if moved! But as long as you have the right screw driver you shouldn't damage the head, it will be fine ;)

Oh right, thank you. I'll go ahead and do it then if you know. He probably just wanted me to go in to the store if it ever needed repairing to see him so it'd go on his quota.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Cardiff_Llandaff_Bluebird wrote:All I can suggest to any poor sod who owns a I Phone or a Blackberry is to get rid a.s.a.p and purchase either a HTC or a Samsung.

Why? The iPhone 4 has many more apps for it and is more secure. The android market has been flooded with viruses and its going to get worse once more people use mobile phones to hold money on and make transactions. I'd rather pay extra and have the security of my information.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:
Merlin wrote:I've stripped and rebuilt 2 iPhone 4's there is no bands or seals on the back of the cover it simply slides up once the 2 screws are removed - however! Inside there are a couple of rubber grommets over the screws and a ribbon on the mother board,also the antenna connection is in such a position to be noticeable if moved! But as long as you have the right screw driver you shouldn't damage the head, it will be fine ;)

Oh right, thank you. I'll go ahead and do it then if you know. He probably just wanted me to go in to the store if it ever needed repairing to see him so it'd go on his quota.

Just get the correct tool from ebay - its cheap enough - and dont be heavy handed - especially using Pos. screwdriver from the garage with a rusty head! :lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 pm

According to this guy, it affects the camera quality.

http://micgadget.com/11486/how-i-turned ... ansparent/

I doubt im going to bother with it then to be honest. I might just get a carbon fibre case.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:38 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:According to this guy, it affects the camera quality.

http://micgadget.com/11486/how-i-turned ... ansparent/

I doubt im going to bother with it then to be honest. I might just get a carbon fibre case.

White conversion Kit is the way forward I tell ya ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAND-Quality-I ... 265&sr=8-1