Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"Welsh flag on kit" issue update

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Barrie McAuliffe has just tweeted:

To put this one to bed, the league have 100% stated that no national flags can be included on kits for a domestic competition #CardiffCity

Also:

So #CardiffCity fans this year have the Dragon and the Daffodil on the crest as a means to link to Wales. We tried, but respect the rules

Re: "Welsh flag on kit" issue update

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

so have we got to change the badge :shock: ?
or have i missed understood?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 pm

I have no idea. have the shirts been released yet? Maybe he means on the crest there has a daffodil/dragon on?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:so have we got to change the badge :shock: ?
or have i missed understood?

Nah mate, we have a dragon on the Club crest, but its not actually the Welsh Flag.

Even though it is, if you see what i mean?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Perhaps we could change the flag a little.. maybe a tiny bluebird flying in the background and call it our secondary badge? :lol:

Alternatively we could always get sponsored by Wales.. Oh wait...

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 pm

We should have the st david cross instead of the dragon flag anyway, That is the proper welsh flag in many peoples eyes, wasn't the dragon flag granted to us by the english in 1950 something?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Couldn't really care less if there is a Welsh flag on there or not.

There is still a Bluebird over my heart, that's all that matters :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Good, really didn't like having welsh flag on the back. Probably won't get new kit though so I'm still stuck with one!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 pm

The Red Dragon of Wales
15th Century image illustrating the story of Vortigern and the red and white dragons

The flag was granted official status in 1959, but the red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, though the origin of the adoption of the dragon symbol is now lost in history and myth. A possible theory is that the Romans brought the emblem to what is now Wales during their occupation of Britain in the form of the Draco standards born by the Roman cavalry, itself inspired by the symbols of the Dacians or Parthians.[1] The green and white stripes of the flag were additions by the House of Tudor, the Welsh dynasty that held the English throne from 1485 to 1603. Green and white are also the colours of the leek, another national emblem of Wales.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:28 pm

dont see the issue, its just a flag, cardiff city are representing cardiff and thats it :?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:dont see the issue, its just a flag, cardiff city are representing cardiff and thats it :?

dammnit i also said i would take a few days away from this forum...ffs :lol: :lol: right i wont be on for a few days :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: