Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

My Son Matthew Alm Jailed for 10 months

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Just in case you haven’t heard the Echo has been in touch so I don’t want a distorted story about my son who got jailed on Friday 1st July for his part in the trouble at Stamford Bridge February 2010. He was sentenced to 10 months for 2 accounts of affray section 3 public order of which he must serve 5 months, but will probably have an early release date after 10 weeks.

One of the most bizarre summing up by a judge I have ever heard when he sentenced my son; He took into account that my son had not been violent in any way! not using force through punching, kicking, throwing objects etc in fact he showed great care not to strike or trample on a Chelsea supporters when jumping over him after he had been punched to the floor by another, he also took into account that other supporters had done a lot more but had lower charges, but always in these cases some people get lucky!! Also he took into account that my son was hard working supporting his young family by carrying out 2 jobs, bricklaying 5 days a week, and delivering pizza’s 5 nights a week!!! He also took into account that my son was a true football supporter, and not your TYPICAL HOOLIGAN attending 750 matches home, away, and welsh international matches including 18 different countries in a 15 year period from the age of 7, also he took into account my son very good references and probation reports, but because when he went to the aid of a Cardiff supporter who was up against 4 Chelsea lads and pushed him away from trouble retreating back to the Cardiff ranks and hanging around for 5 minutes becoming embroiled in two surges as fans pushed from behind him; the judge said that those actions were sufficient evidence that Matthew looked to get involved and he did not distance himself far away from the trouble during those 4-5 minutes?????? And for this I have no option but to give him a custodial sentence which follow the guidelines given out at the start of this trial.

So what’s the point of mitigation? He might as well been a Crack cocaine drug pusher who mugged old ladies and robbed peoples houses he still would have had the same sentence.

I am very proud of my son in the way he conducted himself during the past 18 months with dignity, calmness, and maturity. He showed all those attributes when being sentenced he hasn’t moaned all whinged just been perplexed at the treatment, sentencing, and injustice he has received.

I was proud of my son’s actions where in no way did he encourage, abuse, or bate Chelsea supporters into a fight, nor does he show any aggressive intent. He is seen trying to hold Cardiff supporters back and also shows great bravery to run in and rescue Cardiff supporters from being battered. In short if this had been in a city centre brawl he probably would have had a commendation.

We as a family have been left devastated by this and are rallying around to support his partner and his 2 5 year old twins.

I’d rather not go into anymore detail as the legal process is far from over for my son case and many other of the lads case, and would not want to jeopardise any future legal proceedings that could be beneficial to my son or others.

Re: My Son Matthew Alm Jailed for 10 months

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Vince firstly I am amazed after the summing up of the Judge he then decides to imprison Matthew, having heard so many stories regarding this case I am still amazed that these sentences have continued to be dished out.

Like every City who got caught up in this please pass on our support to him.

Thank you for coming on here at such a difficult time and setting the true story for all to read.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Absolutely disgusting, am really sorry for what has yet been a complete let down by our pathetic excuse for a justice system.

My thoughts are with you and your family

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:35 pm

sorry to here :cry: :cry:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm

I think that is absolutely disgusting from the legal system to be honest, my thoughts are with your family Vince!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm

vince.alm wrote:Just in case you haven’t heard the Echo has been in touch so I don’t want a distorted story about my son who got jailed on Friday 1st July for his part in the trouble at Stamford Bridge February 2010. He was sentenced to 10 months for 2 accounts of affray section 3 public order of which he must serve 5 months, but will probably have an early release date after 10 weeks.

One of the most bizarre summing up by a judge I have ever heard when he sentenced my son; He took into account that my son had not been violent in any way! not using force through punching, kicking, throwing objects etc in fact he showed great care not to strike or trample on a Chelsea supporters when jumping over him after he had been punched to the floor by another, he also took into account that other supporters had done a lot more but had lower charges, but always in these cases some people get lucky!! Also he took into account that my son was hard working supporting his young family by carrying out 2 jobs, bricklaying 5 days a week, and delivering pizza’s 5 nights a week!!! He also took into account that my son was a true football supporter, and not your TYPICAL HOOLIGAN attending 750 matches home, away, and welsh international matches including 18 different countries in a 15 year period from the age of 7, also he took into account my son very good references and probation reports, but because when he went to the aid of a Cardiff supporter who was up against 4 Chelsea lads and pushed him away from trouble retreating back to the Cardiff ranks and hanging around for 5 minutes becoming embroiled in two surges as fans pushed from behind him; the judge said that those actions were sufficient evidence that Matthew looked to get involved and he did not distance himself far away from the trouble during those 4-5 minutes?????? And for this I have no option but to give him a custodial sentence which follow the guidelines given out at the start of this trial.

So what’s the point of mitigation? He might as well been a Crack cocaine drug pusher who mugged old ladies and robbed peoples houses he still would have had the same sentence.

I am very proud of my son in the way he conducted himself during the past 18 months with dignity, calmness, and maturity. He showed all those attributes when being sentenced he hasn’t moaned all whinged just been perplexed at the treatment, sentencing, and injustice he has received.

I was proud of my son’s actions where in no way did he encourage, abuse, or bate Chelsea supporters into a fight, nor does he show any aggressive intent. He is seen trying to hold Cardiff supporters back and also shows great bravery to run in and rescue Cardiff supporters from being battered. In short if this had been in a city centre brawl he probably would have had a commendation.

We as a family have been left devastated by this and are rallying around to support his partner and his 2 5 year old twins.

I’d rather not go into anymore detail as the legal process is far from over for my son case and many other of the lads case, and would not want to jeopardise any future legal proceedings that could be beneficial to my son or others.

thats disgraceful surely something can be done about this,or are we living in an unciviliased country

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Surely, that sentence can't be "legal"?

Guidlines are one thing but facts and precedents are another.

Gutted for you and the fam Vince, best wishes for the appeal :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Smashing lad Matthew. The law is an ass.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

It is obvious that the judge has no room for leway and while i dont doubt that some were looking for trouble it seems there is no chance for mitigation and good character, job, family and not least what you actually done to count for anything. A absolute stich up. :evil:. Lets hope the upcoming evidence trail shows these bastards up for the corrupt cunts they are

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Disgraceful decision Vince, I feel for you and your family :(

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Best wishes and strength to the family.
:ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

He was sentenced for affray even though he tried to stop a riot, not incite one? First time I've heard of that. Unfortunately, this just sums up the judicial system in this country which is why I want out and will get out once I've finished my education. Day by day, less common sense is being used and more people are going by guidelines that are set in stone because of an inability to come to one own's conclusion using a rational and logical approach.

Anyway, regardless of that, its done now, I wish you and your family all the best.
Last edited by NinianBluebird1927 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:52 pm

All the best ! Be over before you know it ! :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Very sorry to hear this!!! My thoughts are with you and your family!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Vince, we have already spoken and you know my feelings, I have high Regards for Matthew and in NO way does he deserve to go to prison. Chin up My Friend :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:09 pm

My thoughts your family and your son Vince. Hopefully the time willpass quickly - and it will all be over and forgotten soon enough! Good luck with everything. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm

I know how frustrated you are Vince, about 3 years ago while on a night out in Pontypridd my mate had his face literally stamped into the ground outside Wetherspoons. It left him in hospital for over a week having several operations to put metal plates in his face to reconstruct it. It was witnessed by the police who didn't intervene (fair play to the bouncers they did) and was caught on CCTV. The lad was given a 12 month suspended sentence, a curfew and was forced to wear a tag for 12 months.

I absolutely hate our shit excuse for a justice system, can't wait to leave this country.

As I said before mate my thoughts are with you.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Gutted for you matey. The law in this country is a feckin' joke.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:13 pm

its a joke! the police are a joke!

you'd get less for fiddling with kids or killing young girls, its sickning, this country is shit

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Sorry to hear this news Vince, there seems to be no logic or reason to the decision making process in this case. Thoughts are with you and the family, you are all good people and can hold your heads up high :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:17 pm

an absolute disgrace,the law and the UK in general is a joke,protecting scumbags and lazy bastards,

thoughts are with your family mate

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Sorry to hear this Vince what a Joke. The Police, the Law, the Judge, are all an Ass. Disgusting :evil:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:20 pm

That's disgusting, Vince. Nobody should be sent down for doing nothing but being peaceful. I'm sure the law here is corrupted. :(

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm

all i can say is what a load of of shit the justice system is good luck with appeal :x :x

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

This is disgraceful, how can Matthew be given a custodial sentance when the judge summary says he did nothing other than 4-5 mins was in the area where affray was happening? As someone else said surely this cannot be legal, if the footage shows exactly what you said then surely its not legal to put someone in jail? I have read the many reports on our fans who have been caught in this and its sickening. It could easily have been myself in this situation and facing the prospect of jail leaving my young family, losing a job just does not bear thinking about!

I really hope there are grounds to appeal and get Matthew to his family where as the judge says he has been supporting very well with 2 jobs!

I have always thought that us city fans over the last 20 years get a raw deal but this takes the biscuit and is ruining peoples livelihoods!

All the best!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

vince.alm wrote:
........ And for this I have no option but to give him a custodial sentence which follow the guidelines given out at the start of this trial............

This is what I don't understand. I was charged with exactly the same as your son Vince, yet only sentenced to 8 months!!
And that's with a few other football related offences from my past dragged up! I don't see that as being consistant.

Stay strong fella.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Gutted for you Vince, gutted....Justice my ass... this countrys so fucked up its becoming one big joke, if your a football supporter caught up in a frackass and its no fault of your own.... THEY WILL NICK YOU...Then send you down with no thought of the heartache or financial hardship it will have on your family, all for what,Going away to support your team. the mind boggles. Im over 50 and must have been to a couple of hundred away games in my time, but with sentencing like what they dished out at Chelsea Im having serious thoughts whether to bother traveling away again. its just not worth the risk. I fear the worst at West Ham, take care lads, I`ll be watching it in the pub.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Gutted for you Vince.

Another lad doing practically nothing but paying for the crimes of hooligans who've dragged our clubs name through the mud in the past.

My thoughts are with you, your son and your family.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Well you know my thought Vince and one of the most sickening things about this is the way the Welsh press and BBC Wales contacted you as soon as they saw your sons name....whereas they have virtually ignored the rest of the fans convicted( thankfully) The point I am making is Why single Vince out and his family?

Anyway mate we still have the abuse of evidence trial and the other work we do that hopefully will see changes made...I have just returned from a meeting with the big bosses in the West Midlands police and they are now looking at different ways of dealing with fans...police budgets are being slashed all over the place and they need fans to be more compliant...but it has to be a two way street and Football fans need to be treated he same as other people in society..there should not be a harsher law for football fans and if Matt had did what he did on a Saturday night in Cardiff after all the drunks leave the night clubs then he would not have even been spoken to, never mind arrested or sent to jail.

We will support each other mate and keep working to try to get a better deal in the future.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

another sad day for a loyal city fan, justice in this country has become a f*cking joke, pass on our best wishes and tell him chin up