Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: My Son Matthew Alm Jailed for 10 months

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 pm

out of interest had he pleaded guilty or not guilty? it seems you get stitched up for pleading not guilty these days too. :roll:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Gutted for you and your lad Vince. Absolute disgrace by the (in)justice system. :evil:

Sorry to hear about this Vince. Matthew did nothing wrong, just helped fellow supporters, the same as the majority of us supporters. The justice system is fcuked up.
Deal drugs, which wreck lives and you get a severe warning, even paedo's are having warnings and not jail.
KEEP THE FAITH!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Our support is behind Matthew, yourself and your family.

disgusting decision.
after what i've read you can see the whole thing is a set up and they are throwing anybody and everybody into prison.
sorry to hear your son has been sent down vince

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Working in the legal field, as I do, I find it very difficult to stand up for the authorities who hand down judgments like this.

Yesterday most of us read an article about how a Police Officer used his dog as a weapon and left an innocent individual scarred for life. We recently also read articles about how another Police Officer "killed" two of his animals by leaving them in a vehicle. I would hazard a guess and suggest neither of these officer will receive custodial sentences.

I am not privy to the individual nature of your sons case but what I do find concerning is the high (indeed very high) percentage of people who have been found guilty. In any situation where groups of supporters congregate there will always be those who are "guilty" but, by the same token, there will equally be a fair proportion who are quite simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately, in this instance, that fair proportion appears to be minimal - and the situation lends itself to people forming the view that decisions have been taken prior to the hearing. Clearly that is not the case but such a high "guilty" rate certainly raises questions.

Let me pose a question....

If, on my way home, I saw a group of 12 yobs attacking/taunting an elderly and totally defenseless lady could I be found guilty of riot for trying to assist her?

I use 12 as the legal definition of riot is 12 or more people.

I would like to think that the legal system would support me in trying to save this elderly person but, on the face of it, given the examply above I could be found guilty of riot or affray.

Something is most definately wrong here.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:57 pm

vince.alm wrote:Just in case you haven’t heard the Echo has been in touch so I don’t want a distorted story about my son who got jailed on Friday 1st July for his part in the trouble at Stamford Bridge February 2010. He was sentenced to 10 months for 2 accounts of affray section 3 public order of which he must serve 5 months, but will probably have an early release date after 10 weeks.

One of the most bizarre summing up by a judge I have ever heard when he sentenced my son; He took into account that my son had not been violent in any way! not using force through punching, kicking, throwing objects etc in fact he showed great care not to strike or trample on a Chelsea supporters when jumping over him after he had been punched to the floor by another, he also took into account that other supporters had done a lot more but had lower charges, but always in these cases some people get lucky!! Also he took into account that my son was hard working supporting his young family by carrying out 2 jobs, bricklaying 5 days a week, and delivering pizza’s 5 nights a week!!! He also took into account that my son was a true football supporter, and not your TYPICAL HOOLIGAN attending 750 matches home, away, and welsh international matches including 18 different countries in a 15 year period from the age of 7, also he took into account my son very good references and probation reports, but because when he went to the aid of a Cardiff supporter who was up against 4 Chelsea lads and pushed him away from trouble retreating back to the Cardiff ranks and hanging around for 5 minutes becoming embroiled in two surges as fans pushed from behind him; the judge said that those actions were sufficient evidence that Matthew looked to get involved and he did not distance himself far away from the trouble during those 4-5 minutes?????? And for this I have no option but to give him a custodial sentence which follow the guidelines given out at the start of this trial.

So what’s the point of mitigation? He might as well been a Crack cocaine drug pusher who mugged old ladies and robbed peoples houses he still would have had the same sentence.

I am very proud of my son in the way he conducted himself during the past 18 months with dignity, calmness, and maturity. He showed all those attributes when being sentenced he hasn’t moaned all whinged just been perplexed at the treatment, sentencing, and injustice he has received.

I was proud of my son’s actions where in no way did he encourage, abuse, or bate Chelsea supporters into a fight, nor does he show any aggressive intent. He is seen trying to hold Cardiff supporters back and also shows great bravery to run in and rescue Cardiff supporters from being battered. In short if this had been in a city centre brawl he probably would have had a commendation.

We as a family have been left devastated by this and are rallying around to support his partner and his 2 5 year old twins.

I’d rather not go into anymore detail as the legal process is far from over for my son case and many other of the lads case, and would not want to jeopardise any future legal proceedings that could be beneficial to my son or others.

:o :o :o ,,shocking judge needs locking up himself :x

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Gutted for you Vince, keep strong you have the support of all Bluebirds. Thoughts with Matthew and family

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry about your son Vince. Hope he gets through this like Corky's son had.

This case has fuckin circus parade all over :evil: :evil:

See you this season Vince :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Really sorry to hear this Vince met you and your family quite afew times at xmas parties at Ninian Park. Best wishes to you Matthew and all the family.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

ALL THE BEST VINCE CHIN UP FROM YOUR OLD MATE WOODY :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:28 pm

The majority of us who go home and away on a regular basis know how much of a lottery it really is. What the judge more or less said in so many of these cases is that just being in the area is justification on its own for a judicial sentence.

You no longer have to take part in violence, it would appear that just witnessing or being in an area where a "violent situation occurs" is seen as a crime in itself.

So in relation to events at Chelsea, especially the actions that occurred directly outside the stadium as the fans poured out onto the streets, what all good Cardiff fans should have done is run away as soon as the Chelsea fans surged at the Police lines because anyone who turned to look or heaven forbid have the audacity to face those trying to get at you is deemed to be taking an active part in disorder.

To keep yourself on the side of the law run as fast as you can in the opposite direction, leave any family or mates to fend for themselves and if you see a mate getting attacked for God's sake don't try and help him or you'll be locked up, better to be seen as a coward than a convicted criminal, well it appears it is in some people's eyes.

If the Police had done their job properly that day, then none of this would have taken place and the millions it as cost to run this trial and the hardship its caused so many would not have come about, but hey what do we know, after all they are the trained professionals so they must be right, just thank God there were no newspaper vendors present or there could have been fatalities as well as injustice.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Shocking to say the least...if Mathew had acted that way in a military situation, he would have had a "mention in dispatches "at the very least.

I followed Corkys posts with intrest, and was disgusted by thier treatment, this takes matters to a whole level of taking the piss.

What the judge said in summing up about Mathew, i would love to be held in such high esteem, then he coldly opens the trap door on the lad is f--king disgusting......

Thoughts with you all :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 pm

I've just picked this up on planetswans, and although the obvious is happening over there, I thought I'd have to voice my opinion that this is an utterly disgraceful sentence. In all cases of crime these days prison is classed as a last resort. And I certainly don't feel this has been the case in the majority of sentences in this scenario. For gods sake a young lad who does 2 jobs to keep his young family ticking over! And they have no choice but to send him to jail! For gods sake! I've even read of army careers being wrecked in this madness! I really have never seen such overkill in the justice system in my life! Sorry to all concerned. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:49 pm

i know matthew, good lad. Disgraceful sentance, this law is taking the piss and seriously needs looking into.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 pm

The frightening thing is that about 90% of us know it could have been us --we would have done the same as Matt

Glad I went for a pint and watched the Wales Scotland Rugby game

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 pm

i find this shocking , another mockery of the system in this country...

last summer a drunk idiot who lives in my parents street got into an argument with a neighbour and my parent we watching in the window, both in their 60's... he then broke in through their garage and knocked my mum out and attacked my old man....

for this he was given a caution for assault and let off...

1/ breaking and entering.. nothing

2/ assault. nothing

3/ actual bodily harm to my mother .. nothing....

then i arrive at the house and get arrested for public order as i threaten to knock him out without even throwing a punch....

there clearly is a major f**k up in the system and it seems as soon as you mention football all of a sudden we become hooligans...

imagine if we did what the student riots did in london.... yet most of those have been let off with cautions or charged with minor offences and given suspended sentences...

ONE BIG JOKE!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Vince, I've only briefly spoken to you once or twice over my many, many years supporting the City so I doubt you know me from the next guy but am fully aware of the huge efforts you and your family have put in to supporting this great club. I don't know Matthew, possibly met him at some point at some away game somewhere or other but I know in my heart that your son is not a hooligan and to be branded a criminal sent to prison when scum are walking the streets is beyond shocking. I am actually in tears writting this..

I f*cking feel you mate, I really do.

Steve Kendrick

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Very sorry to hear that Vince.

It's almost as if it's been decided that they're guilty even before the matter has come before the courts!

The judge has virtually said that because your son was caught up in the situation he must have been guilty no matter the actual facts were.

Best wishes to you and your family and particularly your son.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 pm

64JACK wrote:I've just picked this up on planetswans, and although the obvious is happening over there, I thought I'd have to voice my opinion that this is an utterly disgraceful sentence. In all cases of crime these days prison is classed as a last resort. And I certainly don't feel this has been the case in the majority of sentences in this scenario. For gods sake a young lad who does 2 jobs to keep his young family ticking over! And they have no choice but to send him to jail! For gods sake! I've even read of army careers being wrecked in this madness! I really have never seen such overkill in the justice system in my life! Sorry to all concerned. :ayatollah:

Well said Jack, just fans after all could happen to anyone, anywhere and anytime... Which is worrying.. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm

An absolute joke of a sentence.

The law in this country is a joke. Drug dealers, paedos and chav scum get away with fines and supervision orders. :evil:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

All these cases are very sad and unfair. If many of these things had happened on a saturday night in Cardiff there would have been no custodial sentances.Many first time offenders (if you can call them that ) have been dealt a bad hand in an attempt to put other, more criminal people behind bars.What the police and courts have gained by putting so many young hard working family men behind bars, at a cost to the taxpayer of over £500 a week each and leaving young mothers and children without dads and financial provision i dont really know.Something should be done about it and hopefully listening to Paul, something will.
My thoughts go out to you and your family Vince.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

It's a disgrace, it really is.

Vince, be sure to let him know our thoughts are with him. Chin up son. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 pm

My thoughts are with you and your family Vince... This is totally all wrong :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 pm

This is another case in a long line of miscarriages of justice involving people who attended the Chelsea match last February. I personally have been affected by this when my good mate Morgan Anderson got locked up earlier this year for doing nothing but waving his arms in the air and putting a scarf around his lower face (I didn't realise that was a crime). Then again recently another of my mates Ellis Evans also got sent down and really suffered during the time waiting for a date for his sentencing. The point I'm making is these two lads like your son Vince are both good lads who would not knowingly commit a crime nor have ever been in trouble with the Police before this stitch up, both come from good homes and were in full time employment too.The fact they have been sentenced and convicted is beyond me and I have lost all faith I had in the Police and justice system.

I know we can't tarnish all Police with the same brush and through working in the security industry I have met several Police officers who are genuine people. But as some have mentioned already about serious incidents going unpunished and the victims being felt let down by the law I too have been on the recieving end of this during my job, when some years ago I detained a heroine addict who once back in a confined space of the holding room pulled out a hypodermic needle and held to my chest threatening to stab me with it if I didn't let him go. As I had no choice and fearing what could be in the syringe or if or what diseases he's got that I could catch if he stabbed me I let him go only to catch up with him a short while later once I had assistance and we was able to overpower him. Once Police arrived they duly arrested him only to release him with an £80 fixed penalty notice an hour or so later. Now this lad was off his head on heroin and intent on doing whatever he could to get away but he got off with this measly conviction, whilst good people like your son Matthew and other innocent victims that day at Chelsea have been sentenced to prison.

It's all a fuckin' joke and I really do think what's the point of reporting anything to the Police anymore as the victims end up feeling like the criminals. I could go on and on about some of the things I've expericened but wont bore you anymore just really annoyed that this is still ongoing with good lads locked up for doing f**k all. I hope Matthew is OK Vince and I hope his time passes without hassle and you and his family get some justice. :x :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Yes an absolute disgrace and one of the resons why I stopped following City away. Opposing fans want to have a pop at you .Sorry but I'm going stand my ground.

Basically, If your in the vicinity of an affray then you looking at time....the judges words.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm

I hate hearing about injustice. What I would say to you is vince is this:
You (your son) surely has a right of appeal;
Secondly your defence briefs want a kick up the arse!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Sorry to hear this Vince. Matthew's a good lad and don't deserve this!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm

terrible news, vince. matt is a top bloke, shame on the law...

my thoughts are with u and ur family...

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:18 pm

The thoughts of my family and I are with you and your family.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 pm

vince , as we all know, its football related, and you would get a less sentence for killing your mother, its a joke, hope your boy is safe and well :roll: