Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: My Son Matthew Alm Jailed for 10 months

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Vince sorry to hear this news i say "THE LOGIC WITH THE LAW IS,THERE IS NO LOGIC"! This is without doubt a travesty and a perfect example of how rediculous the law has become in this country.The very best of luck to you Vince and as an avid Cardiff City supporter you have my full support,chin up to you all. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:35 pm

vince.alm wrote:Just in case you haven’t heard the Echo has been in touch so I don’t want a distorted story about my son who got jailed on Friday 1st July for his part in the trouble at Stamford Bridge February 2010. He was sentenced to 10 months for 2 accounts of affray section 3 public order of which he must serve 5 months, but will probably have an early release date after 10 weeks.

One of the most bizarre summing up by a judge I have ever heard when he sentenced my son; He took into account that my son had not been violent in any way! not using force through punching, kicking, throwing objects etc in fact he showed great care not to strike or trample on a Chelsea supporters when jumping over him after he had been punched to the floor by another, he also took into account that other supporters had done a lot more but had lower charges, but always in these cases some people get lucky!! Also he took into account that my son was hard working supporting his young family by carrying out 2 jobs, bricklaying 5 days a week, and delivering pizza’s 5 nights a week!!! He also took into account that my son was a true football supporter, and not your TYPICAL HOOLIGAN attending 750 matches home, away, and welsh international matches including 18 different countries in a 15 year period from the age of 7, also he took into account my son very good references and probation reports, but because when he went to the aid of a Cardiff supporter who was up against 4 Chelsea lads and pushed him away from trouble retreating back to the Cardiff ranks and hanging around for 5 minutes becoming embroiled in two surges as fans pushed from behind him; the judge said that those actions were sufficient evidence that Matthew looked to get involved and he did not distance himself far away from the trouble during those 4-5 minutes?????? And for this I have no option but to give him a custodial sentence which follow the guidelines given out at the start of this trial.

So what’s the point of mitigation? He might as well been a Crack cocaine drug pusher who mugged old ladies and robbed peoples houses he still would have had the same sentence.

I am very proud of my son in the way he conducted himself during the past 18 months with dignity, calmness, and maturity. He showed all those attributes when being sentenced he hasn’t moaned all whinged just been perplexed at the treatment, sentencing, and injustice he has received.

I was proud of my son’s actions where in no way did he encourage, abuse, or bate Chelsea supporters into a fight, nor does he show any aggressive intent. He is seen trying to hold Cardiff supporters back and also shows great bravery to run in and rescue Cardiff supporters from being battered. In short if this had been in a city centre brawl he probably would have had a commendation.

We as a family have been left devastated by this and are rallying around to support his partner and his 2 5 year old twins.

I’d rather not go into anymore detail as the legal process is far from over for my son case and many other of the lads case, and would not want to jeopardise any future legal proceedings that could be beneficial to my son or others.

Puts my shit day in perspective.

Really sorry to hear that, I hope you can get an appeal

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Sorry to hear Vince, terrible news.

This countries law system is a mess.

:ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm

BigGwynram wrote:The majority of us who go home and away on a regular basis know how much of a lottery it really is. What the judge more or less said in so many of these cases is that just being in the area is justification on its own for a judicial sentence.

You no longer have to take part in violence, it would appear that just witnessing or being in an area where a "violent situation occurs" is seen as a crime in itself.

So in relation to events at Chelsea, especially the actions that occurred directly outside the stadium as the fans poured out onto the streets, what all good Cardiff fans should have done is run away as soon as the Chelsea fans surged at the Police lines because anyone who turned to look or heaven forbid have the audacity to face those trying to get at you is deemed to be taking an active part in disorder.

To keep yourself on the side of the law run as fast as you can in the opposite direction, leave any family or mates to fend for themselves and if you see a mate getting attacked for God's sake don't try and help him or you'll be locked up, better to be seen as a coward than a convicted criminal, well it appears it is in some people's eyes.

If the Police had done their job properly that day, then none of this would have taken place and the millions it as cost to run this trial and the hardship its caused so many would not have come about, but hey what do we know, after all they are the trained professionals so they must be right, just thank God there were no newspaper vendors present or there could have been fatalities as well as injustice.

A very sarcastic post but so f*cking true. To be honest to be seen as a law abiding citizen you would have to turn your back on your own flesh and blood. Its so sickening its untrue. I really hope the filthy bastards in there gestapo uniforms really come unstuck and the consequences are damn severe to those cowards in Blue and those Judges :evil: :evil:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Really sorry to hear about this Vince. The so-called law is totally different for football fans. Shocking. Best wishes to you all as a family. Hope that you manage to stay strong. I'm sure that all City fans are with your boy, and with all of you.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 pm

First of all sorry to hear this news Vince and the very best of luck to your Son and his Family I hope the time passes quickly.

Reading what you have written i feel sick to the stomach at the sentences handed down to your Son and many of our other Supporters. Has others have said in all honesty most of us have found ourselves in a situation where trouble has occurred and there but for the grace of God anyone of us based on the Judges directions could have found ourselves locked up for a lengthy period. :(

The reason for this is simple we are FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS AND EVEN MORE SO WE ARE CARDIFF CITY SUPPORTERS therefore we are regarded as and branded as Hooligans regardless of your background and the Family you come from. :twisted:

There is a simple agenda here to send out a message and a deterrent so powerful that Fans will think twice about even going away; in the process the authorities have abandoned all sense of fair play and have corrupted the Justice system.

All anyone can ask for is justice and from what i have read it has certainly not been served in many of the cases involving both Cardiff and Chelsea fans. I personally have lost all faith in our Legal System because you can open a paper in any part of the Country today and read of assaults that are far worse than anything that happened at Chelsea but you will find in many cases the perpetrators get little more than a slap on the wrist!

You have to ask the question is it worth following your Team and if the answer is yes you will always run the risk of being caught up in a situation and being dealt with by our corrupt legal system which means you are likely to end up inside just like Matthew and many others :twisted:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 pm

shocking Vince, disgusting!!
I thought I couldnt be shocked anymore when i read on here yesterday about the way an innocent fan was innocently attacked by a police dog, how wrong was I.
this is turning into a complete farce. I really feel for you and your family mate, your a top guy and know one can knock what you do for the club. Chin up!!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Such a waste of time these sentences are. I'm sure the courts could be better off sentencing real evil people who actually cause harm to innocent people.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 am

Shocking state of affairs and ultimately the decision after expressing to ur son all the positives he did right, feel for u Vince I really do, can only begin to imagine what u and ur family now must be going through!!!! Having a similar aged son myself it's hard to imagine what life would be like if the same wrong punishment was given to him!!!

I hope as u do he's out sooner and he's ok while in there.

With his dad being such a gent, my thoughts go out to u Vince.

Jules

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am

What a joke whilst that guy who had 25 cases of child abuse had 3 years, While matthew did what most people would do in that situation, Really sorry to hear it.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 am

I know I posted earlier but can't get my head around this one.

When the government, only a few weeks back, said it was right to protect yourselves (with knives if necessary) against burglars how can it possibly be illegal to help someone in their time of need

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 am

Sorry to hear and disturbing to read.
No one seems safe even if all you are doing is trying to help others.
If this is the law, I have no interest in it.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 am

Sorry for you Vince as this does seem to be terribly unfair on your son and extended family.

As for the rest of us it seems the lesson from this malarky is that you will go to prison if you do-not vacate an area within 2-3 minutes after trouble breaks out, whether you are involved or not.

TBH that is so harsh the old USSR would have been proud of that law.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:08 am

I think gwyn hit nail on the head with what he wrote I hope something someone can take at look at the whole chealsea affair and do smething to give justice to those affected

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:00 pm

This just a disgrace.If this had been at a rugby it would have been called high jinks.If he had messed around with kids,no doubt the judge would have sent him on his way.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Thank you for all your kind words and support it has brought great comfort to me personally and my family; My son is a good strong lad and will get through it fine, and I will support the families. I know many of you who have posted on here know Matthew personally, and I am sure you know the boredom will do his head in, so if you do have time you can write to him on this address below;

H.M.P wormwood scrubs P.O Box 757 Du cane Road iondon W12 0AE his prison number A6498CE

Thank you all again

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Perhaps he should have run a child over whilst pissed and failed to stop. Changed his name to Mohamed Alm and he would have probably got Communtiy Service.

Disgrace. Football lads treated worse than rapists and muggers.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:41 pm

That sentence makes me sick. As usual football fans are treated more severely than real criminals. Good luck to your son and the rest of your family. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Any form of Soccer violence or rival confrontation in a public place, cannot be condoned. It is very easy to run or walk in the ooposite direction of such trouble to avoid the mess Matthew has found himself. That said , with the facts you state Vince , I would agree with many of the comments that it appears Matthew has been treated very harshly and unfairly. I am sure you will support his young family and try to clear his name which is admirable.
On a persoanl note, I have purchased tickets for the away friendly at Yeovil Town and we are being mixed in amongst the home fans in the main stand. If it "kicked off" in there ,I would now be very nervous of defending myself and probably take a kicking in fear of what this rediculous law system may do to me if I tried to defend myself!
Best wishes to you Vince and Matthew's family. :old:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:25 pm

sorry mate . its hard to take when u know how well ur boy was behaved on the day . chin up mate we know how the law is an ass . it just seams the real crims . get away on hols but god help u if u r up on a first offence ???? :old: :old:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Bad news this seeing an innocent Cardiff fan go down what a misscarridge of Justice. The law is all wrong !!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 pm

my thoughts are with you and your family,its not very nice to be going through this,im glad my lad is out .speak soon

Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 am

An absolute disgrace!!!
Like Paul says I also find it incredibly hard to understand this. The justice system is awful what was he suppost to do just stand back and watch all that unfold right in front of him. That judge needs locking up himself an absolute load of f*cking bollocks :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

My thoughts are with you, Matthew and your family at this difficult time

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:48 am

Vince, you are a great person for Cardiff City and I am very sorry to hear this :( :(

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:28 pm

vince.alm wrote:Thank you for all your kind words and support it has brought great comfort to me personally and my family; My son is a good strong lad and will get through it fine, and I will support the families. I know many of you who have posted on here know Matthew personally, and I am sure you know the boredom will do his head in, so if you do have time you can write to him on this address below;

H.M.P wormwood scrubs P.O Box 757 Du cane Road iondon W12 0AE his prison number A6498CE

Thank you all again

Another way of contacting him is via emailaprisoner.com . Put in his prisoner number, set up an account, emails cost 30 pence a go. Can type loads.

The emails are received the next day pinned to their cell doors.

Easily the quickest and most efficient way of sending messages.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 pm

http://www.emailaprisoner.com/

best way to send communications and easy to join up