Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: The Malaysians and Transfer Fees?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Early days yet ! Wait till the transfer window closes !

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:44 pm

the other Bob Wilson wrote:If we were to sell the four players we have signed this summer next week I reckon we would get something like £3.5 million for them and yet we didn't pay a penny for them in transfer fees. We could have waited for all four of them to sign new contracts for their old teams or go to other clubs I suppose and then paid all of that money for them ourselves - I daresay TG and VT would be getting praised then by some for "splashing the cash", but I think I prefer the way we've gone about our business.

and who was it who said that neither " The Malaysians " nor Gethin Jenkins know much about British football ? Me for 1 :oops:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 pm

To me it makes more sense to get in the best free's we can to build up the squad then use any money on transfer fees on the remaining positions. Just because you pay a transfer fee it doesnt mean your getting a better player. MM clearly ha money to spend as he has offered of Goodwillie so its just a case of taking his time and getting the right players.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 pm

If I m brutallly honest, this is the exact situation that i 'WANT' to be in. Yes, signing relative ' unknowns' has that feeling of uncertanty to it I know. but who knows? these players must have something about them and have the promise to turn into absolute gems.

But its not the individual class acts that i really want at cardiff for the time being, its the team-players we need and im pretty sure we have them in 3 of our new signing. (conway, cowie and taylor) Earnshaw is different as he is a cult figure and an impact player. and for a free transfer, which club wouldn't have takin him IMO!

But i can see exaclty why it can seem demoralising to fans, when a club doesn't 'SPEND' big in the transfer window. but there is plenty of time left and i would imagine that money is going to be spent on other recruits, not just the goodwillie one in the pipeline!

:ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 pm

When we didnt have a manager it was " the malaysians need to hurry up and get a manager because all these good frees are gettibg snapped up" now we have one its "the malaysians havnt spent anything yet" some people are never happy lol

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Cardiffcityfc wrote:When we didnt have a manager it was " the malaysians need to hurry up and get a manager because all these good frees are gettibg snapped up" now we have one its "the malaysians havnt spent anything yet" some people are never happy lol

Oh come on! At least read the original post correctly and maybe the rest of the thread! You think I'm not happy.... It's a debatable topic open to discussion..... I posted it as a mod to create some debate and thoughts of varied members. Not to have a pop at the malysian shareholders.... :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Merlin wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Only reason we only got frees so far is we need to get them signed up, players under contract arent likely to get snapped up in a hurry, be patient :)

I was patient over the whole period Jones was building a team last season of Free's and Loanees, and look where that got us!

I'm also not saying go out there and Waste money just for the sake of it. We have to spend money to compete with the other teams, Quality comes at a price! ;)

The players that Jones got in for free and the players we are signing now for free are totally different. Taylor and Conway will potentially have big sale on value if they perform. Probably won't be the case with Earnie and Cowie but we are simply taking advantage of the Bosman system and getting good players for free like we did with McNaughton.

Who would knock that signing?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 pm

maccydee wrote:
Merlin wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Only reason we only got frees so far is we need to get them signed up, players under contract arent likely to get snapped up in a hurry, be patient :)

I was patient over the whole period Jones was building a team last season of Free's and Loanees, and look where that got us!

I'm also not saying go out there and Waste money just for the sake of it. We have to spend money to compete with the other teams, Quality comes at a price! ;)

The players that Jones got in for free and the players we are signing now for free are totally different. Taylor and Conway will potentially have big sale on value if they perform. Probably won't be the case with Earnie and Cowie but we are simply taking advantage of the Bosman system and getting good players for free like we did with McNaughton.

Who would knock that signing?

I agree with you! About time it went in our favour instead of against us!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

take the 4 signings todate, what would it cost to replace them, 4 million at least, we got them for nothing ffs, what do some of our supporters want , who to say malkey has to splash the cash to get what we need ,gunnarson will cost compo but would be a cracking signing ,goodwillie agreed at 2 million alledgedly ,if we get them 2 for combined fees of under 2.5 mill ,and bellas comes (which i believe will happen)for free as well ,we will be very close to a full squad ,dont forget the young ones aswell i think they might surprise us under the guidance of our new manager and coaching regime , lets all just calm down let mm get on withit, our future is looking good , money signings guarantee you nothing :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:53 pm

2blue2handle wrote:To me it makes more sense to get in the best free's we can to build up the squad then use any money on transfer fees on the remaining positions. Just because you pay a transfer fee it doesnt mean your getting a better player. MM clearly ha money to spend as he has offered of Goodwillie so its just a case of taking his time and getting the right players.

And players know teams are doing that, hence look around for what offers are available. We've done well so far.