Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should I jailbreak my iPod touch 4th gen?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 pm

What's the advantages/ disadvantages, will it break my iPod or is it worth it?

Re: Should I jailbreak my iPod touch 4th gen?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Bluebirds20 wrote:What's the advantages/ disadvantages, will it break my iPod or is it worth it?

It won't break it, if anything goes wrong which is unlikely you can always reset it. It just means you can get more apps, get apps for free, get music for free, download YouTube videos, and customise more things

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Speak to Merlin about this - He loves iPhones/Jailbreaking/All of that stuff :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:49 pm

I don't know

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Cheers lads, still don't know whether to do it if not!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Bluebirds20 wrote:What's the advantages/ disadvantages, will it break my iPod or is it worth it?

Will add cydia to your ipod/iphone/ipad

This is Cydia:

cydia is the main server if you like for downloading all kinds of customisations for your i-device. you can change anything in your software to change your device!

eg. Add your own ringtones, alerts, tweaks, themes, colours, fonts, games, cheats, bla bla bla....
Once downlaoded you use Winterboard to apply your changes!

This is Winterboard:

eg. here is my two most switched screens i use on my iphone one is a revamped standard iphone spring board - the other immitates the Android OS for iphone which you can switch between whenever using Dreamboard! ;-)

you can also add a third party app store called installous - which is a database like itunes full of cracked apps - that you don't have to pay for (most of them are the same apps that are available on itunes)

This is Installous:

and this is only a SMALL part of Jailbreaking! :shock: :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:29 pm

And that is why you should ask Merlin about iPhone jailbreaking :D

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Dafydd wrote:And that is why you should ask Merlin about iPhone jailbreaking :D

:laughing3:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Craig

Sounds good. What is the idiots guide to doing this.

Simple step by step :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:Craig

Sounds good. What is the idiots guide to doing this.

Simple step by step :ayatollah:

I learnt everything i knew from You tube, www.redmondpie.com , and following hackers, and jailbreak app/tweak makers on twitter and facebook! joined most of the FB groups, and iphone forums online. You can't just learn everything in a step by step guide unfortunately!

although there are many videos and tutorials that show you how to Jailbreak your device! on youtube and redmondpie.com :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Cheers for the info! What are the risks though?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Bluebirds20 wrote:Cheers for the info! What are the risks though?

There aren't any - as you can easily restore iphone back to normal via a normal Itunes restore....

(however, as its not actually illegal but goes against apples regulations! you can not take it into an apple store in jaillbroken state if anything goes wrong with it - you have to restore it before visiting apple stores!) It will void warranty in Jailbroken state, but a quick restore will wipe the jailbreak of all traces, and warranty will resume as normal.

:ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Jailbreaking doesn't really contain risks - HOWEVER, be careful of some apps - Not many, but there is the odd one or two that may contain viruses (the only downside to Cydia is that each app isn't apple-approved) - Again, HOWEVER it is VERY rare that you find a virus and it probably will never happen in the time you own an iPhone.

I know plenty of people that have jailbreaked their phoned and they've never had a virus :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Cheers lads, think I might go for it now! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 pm

You must have a reason NOT to jailbreak your devices

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Never heard of a virus on anything iPhone related myself!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

I would also advise if you don't have a clue what your doing - don't attempt it! You'll only end up crying your eyeballs out!! :lol: better off paying someone a small fee to do all the work for you. ;)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Merlin wrote:Never heard of a virus on anything iPhone related myself!

Well, neither have I, I don't actually think you can get viruses on Apple products - HOWEVER, it has to be said just in case :D

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Merlin wrote:I would also advise if you don't have a clue what your doing - don't attempt it! You'll only end up crying your eyeballs out!! :lol: better off paying someone a small fee to do all the work for you. ;)

Thinly veiled 'I'll do it on the cheap' post IMO

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Will the YouTube tutorials do the job?, I'm really shitting myself, I don't want to screw it up!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:57 pm

You need to know what firmware you are on !

Settings>general>about - firmware version ?? If you have recently updated to 4.3.3 in iTunes you can now go to jailbreakme.com for a very easy jailbreak but it will NOT work on any other f/w versions !

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Yea I'm on 4.3.3, do i just have to gobto that website and follow instructions?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Am I right in saying though, that if you do Jailbreak, you are unable to install software updates when they are released by Apple, until that update has been hacked?