Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Owen Hargreaves & the risk of signing him.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Let's be honest, the guy has been plagued by injuries for years now and determined to have one more go at football. Someone setting up a YouTube channel to show themselves doing drills & weights is a desperate move.

My question is would you think about signing him & if so, on what terms?

I genuinely think he's worth a risk on a similar deal to Chris Riggott. It's clear he'd command a decent basic salary but if he's still available right at the end of the transfer window, I'd be happy to offer him a 6 month deal on £10k a week with an appearance fee to top-up his wages to what he would expect. Offering this on a minute's played basis. In January and it's gone sour then we have a get out clause. If he's played 10 matches or 900 minutes up to January the the contract is automatically renewed for another 6 months.

He's clearly a superb midfielder and would walk into most Premiership teams when he's fully fit but is he worth the chance?

Re: Owen Hargreaves & the risk of signing him.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I wouldnt want him tbh he seems to get fit then when he gets on the pitch limps off 5 mins later. it wasnt even like he was rushed back a man u because there was no need to. i agree with you it seems like a desperate move from a player who has had his day. And i dont get why people say "hed do a job in this league" he didnt leave man u because he was shit lol. If msn uniteds staff didnt think he was up to it chances are hes not.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 pm

on a month to month

Yes

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 pm

i dont see the point, we took the risk with riggot and it didnt work. it always happens with hargreaves.
at the moment we need too build our squad with players who are young and fit. weve moved on from these kind of signings now! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

a pay as u play contract?? :ayatollah: :old:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 pm

gwbluearmy! wrote:a pay as u play contract?? :ayatollah: :old:

Yeah offer him £7000 a week but only paid if he's available for selection

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:02 pm

pmsl dont think you have to worry about this one lad