Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Meet Dave Jones at League Managers golf day

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

I had the pleasure of being invited to the football league managers gold day yesterday Many managers were there who are currently looking for jobs Dave Jones ,Matin Oneill,George Burley ,Iain Dowie Steve Copple and many more Hibbitts was there as well and a one handicap golfer
I spoke with Dave Jones and said thank ypu for the good years but like many thought his time had come but still ranks as the best seasons under a manager I have seen since 75 so credit where due.
I had the pleasure of playing with Alan Irvine and what a great guy he was until I remembered he managed Preston when we lost 6-0 he said how surprised he was when we signed Parkin he did not think he was the type of player we needed He was also surprised we got rid of Jones but at the sa etime thinks he is a good young manager.
Jones did an open mic session and was very funny until I asked about the future of city He mentioned that he was concerned as they seem to be following the free transfers and possibly loan signings again that were placed on him by the board. He believes this year will be a year of consolidation but said what a great club Cardiff are .Asked about Bellers he said he was always looking for a fight but if you did not offer him a fight he was ok He said a bit like a bit of dog shit you don't touch it you walk around it
He mentioned he has had offers to manage abroad and for international teams but was ok at the moment because Cardiff were still paying him

Re: Meet Dave Jones at League Managers golf day

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 am

aye he will be ok for another 12 months yet :evil: maybe if he did the decent thing and resigned (instead of creaming another £800,000-00 off us) we could afford to buy a player instead of having to get free transfers and loan players in - good riddance.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:15 am

ihatealiens wrote:aye he will be ok for another 12 months yet :evil: maybe if he did the decent thing and resigned (instead of creaming another £800,000-00 off us) we could afford to buy a player instead of having to get free transfers and loan players in - good riddance.

Would you do that for the company you work for? No i doubt it.

Family comes before anything.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 am

ihatealiens wrote:aye he will be ok for another 12 months yet :evil: maybe if he did the decent thing and resigned (instead of creaming another £800,000-00 off us) we could afford to buy a player instead of having to get free transfers and loan players in - good riddance.

Yes I think his time had come but another think I forgot to mention Steve Copple mentioned how the Internet and forums do effect the way chairmens think and is one of tne reason managers don't last in the job so long I though it was just our manager and board who look at forums

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am

polo wrote:

answering my questions for me are you?

In my opinion he should have done the honourable thing like many other managers have done in the past and fall on his sword because in six years of his management we won nothing. Do you really think anybody is worth £800,000-00 per annum for either sitting on their ass doing feck all or prancing down a golf course? I don't, particularly a failure - I think he's got a damned cheek :evil:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

as stated in many dave jones threads. we all would of done the same thing as jones did. its our fault for giving him that contract

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am

i had lunch with some of the Brighton players last week and we got on to talking about Jones. When I told them how much money he was on here they were stunned!! I dont even think they believed me but unfortunately its true!

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am

jezzy666 wrote:as stated in many dave jones threads. we all would of done the same thing as jones did. its our fault for giving him that contract

and guess who gave him that contract?

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:51 am

ihatealiens wrote:
jezzy666 wrote:as stated in many dave jones threads. we all would of done the same thing as jones did. its our fault for giving him that contract

and guess who gave him that contract?

Yes that man overpaid on nearly everything

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:36 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
polo wrote:

answering my questions for me are you?

In my opinion he should have done the honourable thing like many other managers have done in the past and fall on his sword because in six years of his management we won nothing. Do you really think anybody is worth £800,000-00 per annum for either sitting on their ass doing feck all or prancing down a golf course? I don't, particularly a failure - I think he's got a damned cheek :evil:

Yes, because people in football are so honourable arent they? Theres not a manager in the land who would have walked awya from £800,000 with zero in his pocket. And rightly so.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:He was also surprised we got rid of Jones but at the sa etime thinks he is a good young manager.

Alan Irvine said this about Jones? No wonder he's out of a job :lol:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 pm

wanna bet heres a few names that have recently resigned and walked away from big pay deals - honourable men one and all - Martin O'Neill, Alex McLeish,Gerard Houllier, Mark Hughes, Steve Coppell,Kevin Keegan, Danny Wilson - need I go on? :lol:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Why the animosity towards Dave Jones just because he took what was offered to him? I personally think he did a fantastic job here, even though I realise he had his faults. Who on here wouldn't have taken £800,000 to do their job and provide for their family? You're an idiot if you would do otherwise

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:Why the animosity towards Dave Jones just because he took what was offered to him? I personally think he did a fantastic job here, even though I realise he had his faults. Who on here wouldn't have taken £800,000 to do their job and provide for their family? You're an idiot if you would do otherwise

if your talking about someone on say £20,000 or so needing to provide for their family I agree but a multi millionaire taking £800,000 for nowt? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:01 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:Why the animosity towards Dave Jones just because he took what was offered to him? I personally think he did a fantastic job here, even though I realise he had his faults. Who on here wouldn't have taken £800,000 to do their job and provide for their family? You're an idiot if you would do otherwise

if your talking about someone on say £20,000 or so needing to provide for their family I agree but a multi millionaire taking £800,000 for nowt? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't really understand the second part of your comment. Multi-millionaire? For nowt?

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

I don't really understand the second part of your comment. Multi-millionaire? For nowt?

Well he has been here for six years on a £800,000 rolling contract that's £4.8 million then there's his previous managerial jobs and playing career - safe to say he is a multi millionaire, so Its a bit of a cheek taking £800,000 for sitting on his arse or playing golf don't you think? He would have gone far higher in my estimation if he had resigned as other honourable managers have done in the recent past, because at the end of the day he failed, he did not get the club promoted even though he was given 3 times the amount of money our enemy Brendan Rogers got. - but sadly he is one of the greedy ones and took the money.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:25 pm

I have to disagree with this. So he's done well to negotiate his contracts that pay him well and enable him and his family to have a comfortable lifestyle. And you wouldn't do this but would struggle on the breadline, would you? In the world of greed in the modern game, Dave Jones is well down that list. And to say he's done nothing in his time here, well that's just bollocks

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:I have to disagree with this. So he's done well to negotiate his contracts that pay him well and enable him and his family to have a comfortable lifestyle. And you wouldn't do this but would struggle on the breadline, would you? In the world of greed in the modern game, Dave Jones is well down that list. And to say he's done nothing in his time here, well that's just bollocks

With all due respect mickey mouse could have negotiated himself a big pay deal in 2005 - cos guess who employed him? what has he won in his time here then? As far as I can see he has fallen at the final hurdle every time. Worse of all he was condescending and dismissive of Cardiff City fans.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:40 pm

what you've also got to remember is that DJ was SACKED. if your company sacked you and said "before you go into unemployment...here's a years salary" would you say "no thank you former employer, ill just go"

i think sometimes some fans forget that managers don't love the club like we do. although DJ did well whilst he was here. 7 years ago he probably couldnt tell you a single thing about cardiff. so why should he turn away money offered to him?
Last edited by connersccfc on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:42 pm

To be fair to Jones, he improved the clubs standings. Nobody on this forum would walk away from your salary if you were entitled to it, esp. if you didnt know when the next pay day was coming. It was the boards fault for not putting him on a rolling contract that had termination clauses esp. after jones' promise of "back my plan and we will get promoted". Unfortunately Jones' contract is down to the board and owners

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm

ihatealiens wrote:Worse of all he was condescending and dismissive of Cardiff City fans.

I think this explains, in a nutshell, why you don't like Jones. It wouldn't matter what he'd done, this is good enough for you to dislike him

Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Dave Jones failed here. He came ot the club saying a manager should walk from the job if he fails to get them prooted in 3 years. When he failed to do that he started coming out with his excuses, I had to sell our best players or the squad is not big enough. Along came the Malaysians and gave him everything and he promised them automatic promotion. When he realised he was not going to do that in January he complained that he needed new players. The Malayisians obliged him and yet he still failed. The biggest failure this club has ever had is Dave Jones.

Now Gordon Strachan, in a similar way he was given everything at Boro and failed. He in turn ripped up his contract leaving Boro without any compensation to pay. Strachan was paid a chmpionship wage at Boro, unlike Jones premier wage. Also he was at Boro for a year only where Jones was with us for 6. Strachan ammassed very little at Boro unlike Jones who has ammassed enough to see his family ok for the rest of their lifes. Strachan is a sign of honourability where Jones is just greedy.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:Worse of all he was condescending and dismissive of Cardiff City fans.

I think this explains, in a nutshell, why you don't like Jones. It wouldn't matter what he'd done, this is good enough for you to dislike him

well I did say worse of all. So yes I along with many thousands of others didnt like him. However it does not alter the fact he had 3 times the budget of our pal Brendan Rodgers down the road and who got promoted? I think that says it all.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Dave Jones failed here. He came ot the club saying a manager should walk from the job if he fails to get them prooted in 3 years. When he failed to do that he started coming out with his excuses, I had to sell our best players or the squad is not big enough. Along came the Malaysians and gave him everything and he promised them automatic promotion. When he realised he was not going to do that in January he complained that he needed new players. The Malayisians obliged him and yet he still failed. The biggest failure this club has ever had is Dave Jones.

Now Gordon Strachan, in a similar way he was given everything at Boro and failed. He in turn ripped up his contract leaving Boro without any compensation to pay. Strachan was paid a chmpionship wage at Boro, unlike Jones premier wage. Also he was at Boro for a year only where Jones was with us for 6. Strachan ammassed very little at Boro unlike Jones who has ammassed enough to see his family ok for the rest of their lifes. Strachan is a sign of honourability where Jones is just greedy.

hear fookin hear as they say in parliament :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:He was also surprised we got rid of Jones but at the sa etime thinks he is a good young manager.

Alan Irvine said this about Jones? No wonder he's out of a job :lol:

Should have said he thought Malky was a good young manager My fault

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:26 pm

ihatealiens wrote:wanna bet heres a few names that have recently resigned and walked away from big pay deals - honourable men one and all - Martin O'Neill, Alex McLeish,Gerard Houllier, Mark Hughes, Steve Coppell,Kevin Keegan, Danny Wilson - need I go on? :lol:

:lol:

What a load of crap, all those managers bar Danny Wilson walked away and left the clubs in the lurch.

In the words of Jim Royal "Honourable, my arse"