Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Malky Mackay's plans "

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Firstly its great to see Whitts is in MM plans & secondly another intersting point made in the interview was ... MM says "We have some money to play with"

I wonder how much ... hmmm :shock: :ayatollah:

Peter Whittingham is central to my Cardiff City plans, insists Malky Mackay

Jul 7 2011

Malky Mackay has insisted Cardiff City playmaker Peter Whittingham remains central to his plans for the coming season.

Whittingham, who has scored 36 goals from midfield over the last two seasons, is wanted by Portsmouth, who are willing to pay £1.5m-plus, as well Leicester City and newly-promoted Norwich City.

But Bluebirds boss Mackay said Whittingham will play a key role in his Championship team.

He added “Peter Whittingham is a fantastic footballer and I can understand why other clubs would look at good players.

“But he is a Cardiff player and he is staying a Cardiff player. Peter is central to my plans.”

The former Aston Villa and England Under-21 player signed for Cardiff in 2007 and has made well over 200 first-team appearances.

Nottingham Forest worked to prise Whittingham, aged 26, away last season, but he signed a new three-year contract and looks happy to stay and be a part of Mackay’s plans.

The Bluebirds lost 12 players from their squad after last season, including Craig Bellamy, Jay Bothroyd and Michael Chopra, while Mackay has added four new signings in Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Andrew Taylor and Robert Earnshaw.

Aron Gunnarsson, out of contract at Coventry City, is another target, while Cardiff are still keen on £2m-rated Dundee United striker David Goodwillie.

“We’ll keep working on strengthening the squad,” said Mackay. “The fact that we are away in Spain next week won’t stop that. I will be on the phone every day and working to get more players into this football club as quickly as we can.”

Earnshaw’s arrival means Cardiff have three strikers, along with Jon Parkin and first year professional Nat Jarvis, and that is an area where Cardiff need new talent.

“Yes, we need more in attack, but I have to say we need more all over the pitch,” said Mackay. “A new team is being built here in effect. There are gaps up front, in midfield and defensively we need extra people as well.

“We should have some money to play with, but it always helps if you can wheel and deal and get some frees to come in. We’ve managed to do that with the four we have signed so far.”

Cardiff City leave for their pre-season tour to Spain today and are away for a week, playing Charlton Athletic in Seville next Friday.

Re: " Malky Mackay's plans "

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 pm

He says the right things yet again ! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm

thats a great update! MM is flat out fair play!! i reckon he's got plenty of players lined up!! feeling very optimistic for the new season!! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:27 pm

fair play he is really trying :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

can't fault him :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:28 pm

malky mackays celtic army!

this guy gets better by the day! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 pm

More money than he had to play with at Watford ;).

As long as he uses it well then I'm happy, I'm sure he will, so far, so good. Really liking it.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Jonnylew wrote:Firstly its great to see Whitts is in MM plans & secondly another intersting point made in the interview was ... MM says "We have some money to play with"

I wonder how much ... hmmm :shock: :ayatollah:

Peter Whittingham is central to my Cardiff City plans, insists Malky Mackay

Jul 7 2011

Malky Mackay has insisted Cardiff City playmaker Peter Whittingham remains central to his plans for the coming season.

Whittingham, who has scored 36 goals from midfield over the last two seasons, is wanted by Portsmouth, who are willing to pay £1.5m-plus, as well Leicester City and newly-promoted Norwich City.

But Bluebirds boss Mackay said Whittingham will play a key role in his Championship team.

He added “Peter Whittingham is a fantastic footballer and I can understand why other clubs would look at good players.

“But he is a Cardiff player and he is staying a Cardiff player. Peter is central to my plans.”

The former Aston Villa and England Under-21 player signed for Cardiff in 2007 and has made well over 200 first-team appearances.

Nottingham Forest worked to prise Whittingham, aged 26, away last season, but he signed a new three-year contract and looks happy to stay and be a part of Mackay’s plans.

The Bluebirds lost 12 players from their squad after last season, including Craig Bellamy, Jay Bothroyd and Michael Chopra, while Mackay has added four new signings in Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Andrew Taylor and Robert Earnshaw.

Aron Gunnarsson, out of contract at Coventry City, is another target, while Cardiff are still keen on £2m-rated Dundee United striker David Goodwillie.

“We’ll keep working on strengthening the squad,” said Mackay. “The fact that we are away in Spain next week won’t stop that. I will be on the phone every day and working to get more players into this football club as quickly as we can.”

Earnshaw’s arrival means Cardiff have three strikers, along with Jon Parkin and first year professional Nat Jarvis, and that is an area where Cardiff need new talent.

“Yes, we need more in attack, but I have to say we need more all over the pitch,” said Mackay. “A new team is being built here in effect. There are gaps up front, in midfield and defensively we need extra people as well.

“We should have some money to play with, but it always helps if you can wheel and deal and get some frees to come in. We’ve managed to do that with the four we have signed so far.”

Cardiff City leave for their pre-season tour to Spain today and are away for a week, playing Charlton Athletic in Seville next Friday.

love it :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm

THINGS ARE REALLY LOOKING UP :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:THINGS ARE REALLY LOOKING UP :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

happy now annis :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Hmmmm. Whittingham plays for Dave Jones and never knows what position he's
going to play from week to week. He appears to drift sometimes in games.

New manager comes in and tells him "your the man!"

A psychological masterpiece.

Defenders too eh??

And to think I wanted Hughton :lol: :lol: :banghead:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 pm

What a breath of fresh air,this guy is.The more I hear from him the more I like it.Keeps the fans updated and is always smiling.We can consider ourselves very lucky he chose us.His signings so far all have one thing in common,all the players are here because of Malky.
Earnshaw will love it back here and hopefully when Bellamy comes,we will have a team again.
Long live Malky Mackay!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 pm

GARYNZ wrote:What a breath of fresh air,this guy is.The more I hear from him the more I like it.Keeps the fans updated and is always smiling.We can consider ourselves very lucky he chose us.His signings so far all have one thing in common,all the players are here because of Malky.
Earnshaw will love it back here and hopefully when Bellamy comes,we will have a team again.

Even if we dont get Craig back, and i dont think we will... :(

The whole fanbase appears happy to go with his judgement

He's won us over folks, he's as committed to this Club as we are

Perhaps thats all we ever wanted from a manager :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Great news and it's amazing how MM has come in and totally changed the atmosphere of the entire club, never known a buzz of anticipation before a new season like this in my lifetime, can only be good times ahead :D :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 pm

And I was all for Chris hughton, shows what I know. And practicing set pieces aswell, this guy is gonna be a city legend, when did we last score from a corner? Bring on west ham, "Malky is a bluebird, malky is a bluebird"

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 pm

im starting to feel all tingly again like i did in 2000-2001 the embers in my gut are starting glow and turn into sparks soon there will be fire in my belly once again :oops: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Malky Makays Blue and White Army !!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Malky Is The Man and In Malky we Trust !!

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 pm

taffyapple wrote:
GARYNZ wrote:What a breath of fresh air,this guy is.The more I hear from him the more I like it.Keeps the fans updated and is always smiling.We can consider ourselves very lucky he chose us.His signings so far all have one thing in common,all the players are here because of Malky.

SPOT on Dave :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Nail on head, commitment and passion from the manager and players will have the fans behind them creating that atmosphere that can be the twelth man when needed. Good on you MM you are something that we have been missing someone at the hel
who cares and shows passion. I am now starting to look forward to the start of the season.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Things are starting to look good but let's not get carried away. A ball hasn't been kicked yet. It's what happens on the pitch that counts. Let's hope it all falls into place once the real business gets underway.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Jonnylew wrote:Whittingham has scored 36 goals from midfield over the last two seasons
Portsmouth are willing to pay £1.5m-plus

I mean come on.

As I've said before, nothing less than £4m will do.

The lad is truly class.

I'm not even sure I'd take £4m cos he's the last of our composed on the ball type players now really.