Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEW FORMATION PERHAPS?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 am

With the excellent midfielders bought in by our Scottish Messiah and a cult hero who has returned home where he belongs and not to mention a promising left back.

Do you think its time to drop the 4-4-2 formation?

I propose a 4-5-1. We now have a fantastic midfield,imo the best midfield we've had for a while, who will provide our strikers with great passes, wingers steaming down the wing either cutting in to shoot or to go down the line and cross. Five midfielders will dominate possession, help the defenders and as I've said provide the strikers with quality deliveries/through balls.

I'd prefer to pass our way up with a slick style of play, run the opposition out of steam and keeping hold of the ball. Now I dont mean pass back through the defence like the Jacks "used to", I mean like Arsenal. I sincerely hope MM drops the hoof ball method (wasnt a method, more like hit and hope) and adopts the style of play which I proposed. It may be a bit boring but you'll certainly see more clean sheets for us and actually more goals.

This is what I'd like to see:

------------------------------------------Heaton-----------------------------------------------------------------
--McNaughton------------------Hudson-------------Keinan----------------------Taylor----------------------
-----------------------------------------Blake-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------Cowie-----------------Gunarsson----------------------------------------------
--Conway/Whitts---------------------------------------------------------------------------Conway/Whitts--
--------------------------------------------Earnshaw/Parkin/Goodwillie-----------------------------

Heres my reasons: (I'll only do the midfield)

Blake

I've put him in the "defensive midfield" position becuase he simply impressed me in defence and he can also play in midfield. So what do you get when you mix defence with a midfield position? A defensive midfielder. His role would be to help out with defence and also help out the midfield.

Cowie

Obviously, I put him in the centre of the pitch due to that being his position. I have another reason, he'd support either wingers and put good through balls down the wing, he'd also support the striker and again, provide him with great through balls. I haven't seen him shoot but as Mackay has seen what hes like I can only assume he has a great strike on the ball.

Gunarsson

Now, Gunarsson is a player whom I wanted for a while. He has a fantastic long throw on him, he has a superb strike on him and a superb free-kick. I think he should play just of the striker to due to his brilliant shooting ability. I've only seen clips of him on youtube but if I know hes a great player.

Conway

Conway will be a great asset to the team (gut feeling, no FACT's). I'm aware that he was a bit of a goal scorer up North, which I can only assume meant he cut in from the wing, I'd love to see a winger do that (Burkey did it now and then,then he fell over), he can also deliver great crosses. Now I do hope we sign Goodwillie, the main reason because him and Conway played for Dundee Utd in the same team, this means they'll have a partnership so to speak and will link up together.

Whitts

The same as Conway, bar hes never played with Goodwillie and he has fantastic free kicks where as I've never seen Conway take one.

What do you lot think? :ayatollah:

Re: NEW FORMATION PERHAPS?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 am

i wouldnt personally put blake in that position
someone is that sort of role needs to be very comfortable on the ball who can pass and move with ease
darcy is a quality full back
each to their own though

i would like a 4-2-3-1 or a straight 4-4-2

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:53 am

eighty_8 wrote:i wouldnt personally put blake in that position
someone is that sort of role needs to be very comfortable on the ball who can pass and move with ease
each to their own though

I dunno, in my opinion I think you're wrong about Blake, I think he can pass the ball and move around quite well. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:56 am

gerrard in for me :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:57 am

SamCCFC1927 wrote:gerrard in for me :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I didn't put him in the line up, cause I dunno if Hull will make a move for him :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:58 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:i wouldnt personally put blake in that position
each to their own though

I dunno, in my opinion I think you're wrong about Blake, I think he can pass the ball and move around quite well. :ayatollah:

Totally agree about Blake, DJ never gave him a solid run in the first team last season and I think if MM gives him a chance that Darcy can really shine whether it's in defence or midfield :ayatollah: :D

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:00 am

Blake cannot pass the ball. As long as he doesn't get the ball be alright in defensive midfield......

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:04 am

I'm really really liking our midfield :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:30 am

neeball wrote:Blake cannot pass the ball. As long as he doesn't get the ball be alright in defensive midfield......

thats a reason he shouldnt be in DM, we need a spreader eg, scholes, xavi type player there.. someone to control the tempo

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:36 am

eighty_8 wrote:
neeball wrote:Blake cannot pass the ball. As long as he doesn't get the ball be alright in defensive midfield......

thats a reason he shouldnt be in DM, we need a spreader eg, scholes, xavi type player there.. someone to control the tempo

Mcphail does that job superbly :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:39 am

Bluebird_steve wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:

Mcphail does that job superbly :ayatollah:

the only thing with mcpahil, as good a passer he is and technically superb. he doesnt really have the movement and energy levels that malky will look for

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 am

thats a reason he shouldnt be in DM, we need a spreader eg, scholes, xavi type player there.. someone to control the tempo[/quote]

Mcphail does that job superbly :ayatollah:[/quote]

the only thing with mcpahil, as good a passer he is and technically superb. he doesnt really have the movement and energy levels that malky will look for[/quote]

Fair point, I think we've the midfielders we've signed macca's gonna be coming off the bench anyway but he can still play an important role if we're ahead and we're trying to see the game out by keeping the ball and slowing the tempo down :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:25 pm

mcfail cant tackle goes to ground not a defensive mid fielder id give blake a chance i think he can pass

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Like the formation it would be nice to see somthing diffrent.

Does any1 know what MM likes to play

:ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Swop Blake for Gerrard
and make Gerrard captain.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:44 pm

4-3-3

Heaton

Taylor
Kienan
Hudson
McNaughton

Whittingham/Farah
Cowie
Gunnarsson

Conway
Earnshaw
Goodwillie/Mason

Then once we get a 2 goal lead or a 1 goal lead with little time left, we switch to a 4-5-1 and stay solid.