Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No New keepers then

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 am

It seems Malky is happy with what we got goalkeeping wise anyway. Maybe, just maybe our goalkeeping coach was the problem (that reminds me, when are we getting a new goalkeeping coach and who will he be? will we be raiding Watford again? :lol: ). We will soon find out. The new season isn't too far away now lads. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29025606/?

Re: No New keepers then

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 am

I'd bring another one in,and send Marshall out on loan with 24 he call back,he did nt play much last season,and if we did get injuries to keepers then Marshall would come back fit.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:48 am

I'm not unhappy with that as I rate both Marshall and Heaton, and think they were just being given bum instructions and training last season.... with the right coach in for them, I think they BOTH have the potetntial to become very good keepers for us...

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Why the hell do we need a goal keeping coach, when Margetson was giving a coaching role, he was second choice behind Neil Alexander, and Alexander trusted his own ability rather than listenning to Martyn who he kept out of the team.

Ever since Alexander left, all goal keepers have been listenning to the instructions of a goalkeeper who was second choice at Cardiff. I have nothing against Martyn Margetson, because hes a local boy of my home town, but since all these goal keepers have been listenning to his instructions things have gone wrong.

Lets have goal keepers who use their own ability and trust in themselves.....we might actually see them do really well. Just my opinion. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Coaching ability is in no way related to playing ability.

After all, that Wenger, manager of a top 4 team, skilled at developing young players was pretty shit as a player...

But I'd agree Margetson may not have been the best GK coach.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Happy with both Heaton and Marshall.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Happy with both Heaton and Marshall.

Same here, I'm very happy with them, and I hope even Santiago does well this season as well with the reserves. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Midfield general wrote:Hanhemann is better than both of them very easily and hes also a free!!! No brainer for me

Is it wise to have three high earning keepers though?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:24 am

I am delighted Margetson has gone to Wet Spam, it should dent their promotion prospects a little :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 am

Midfield general wrote:Hanhemann is better than both of them very easily and hes also a free!!! No brainer for me

No brainer for me, too. Don't bother with getting Hahnemann in and stick to the two we've got.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 am

I wonder what Peter Schmeichel, David Seaman or Nigel Martyn are doing and if they'd fancy a job as goalkeeping coach lol. I honestly believe with the two keepers we currently have we've got good quality but I'd like to see David Marshall re-installed as no.1 at least for the first few games as I believe he had a good understanding with Mark Hudson and Anthony Gerrard the season before last when we got to the play-off final and I find him a better shot stopper than Tom Heaton.
:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 am

Midfield general wrote:
RichBluebird wrote:I wonder what Peter Schmeichel, David Seaman or Nigel Martyn are doing and if they'd fancy a job as goalkeeping coach lol. I honestly believe with the two keepers we currently have we've got good quality but I'd like to see David Marshall re-installed as no.1 at least for the first few games as I believe he had a good understanding with Mark Hudson and Anthony Gerrard the season before last when we got to the play-off final and I find him a better shot stopper than Tom Heaton.

And we all know the mess the three of them got in during the play off final

Apart from Gerard, of course, who wasn't playing in the play off final

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 am

Midfield general wrote:Opps you are right there but in my opinion I think Gerrard and Kienan will be the defensive pairing

I don't, I think it will be Hudson and Keinan

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 am

Midfield general wrote:
RichBluebird wrote:I wonder what Peter Schmeichel, David Seaman or Nigel Martyn are doing and if they'd fancy a job as goalkeeping coach lol. I honestly believe with the two keepers we currently have we've got good quality but I'd like to see David Marshall re-installed as no.1 at least for the first few games as I believe he had a good understanding with Mark Hudson and Anthony Gerrard the season before last when we got to the play-off final and I find him a better shot stopper than Tom Heaton.

And we all know the mess the three of them got in during the play off final

Very true but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Darcy Blake start at centre half alongside Mark Hudson? I think Anthony Gerrard didn't come on until around 70 odd mins and then was pushed up front with Chopra and Etuhu (what was DJ thinking?) to try and nick and equaliser?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 am

Marcus Hahnemann as mentioned would be a good shout though but I don't see Mackay doing any business in the transfer window for a new goalkeeper as he has other position in the squad to fill which are more of a priority. Maybe see where we are come January and if either Marshall or Heaton are failing to live up to expectations then get someone new in then? I wouldn't of minded seeing David James come in for a season, although 39 I think now, still a fit and agile keeper and I think his wife is from Cardiff so he'd surely welcome a move here? May of signed another contract with Bristol City though I think. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 am

RichBluebird wrote:I wouldn't of minded seeing David James come in for a season, although 39 I think now, still a fit and agile keeper and I think his wife is from Cardiff so he'd surely welcome a move here? May of signed another contract with Bristol City though I think. :ayatollah:

David James? Are you serious?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Hate Heaton
Love Marshall

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Hate Heaton
Love Marshall

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: