Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " THE NINIAN PARK PUB NAME TO CHANGE "

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 pm

When the new owners wanted to boost trade and establish a regular trade they used the slogan " save the last ninian park". What's changed?. Now its doing ok they say bollocks to ninian park? It's important to us fans who boosted the trade and continue to boost the coffers on match days.
Sorry if already posted, didn't want to read 90 odd posts.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:12 pm

ive seen a few pubs with 2 names, the official name and its nickname! "The FRED KEENOR " could be great with "the ninian park" in brackets underneath it. just a suggestion? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 am

Its all about club history and traditions. Keep the name of the pub as it is, although its a great gesture to rename it after the legend that is Fred Keenor. Yes Fred Keenor was a legend and deserves his own memorial which everyone seems to have given up on! Keep the tradition that is "The Ninian" and maintain the history of Fred Keenor and honour the man with a memorial. :old:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 am

i'm against it but what may be a suggestion is call one of the rooms the Fred Keenor lounge :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am

you know in the ninian they do those bigger glasses.

How much are they? Never got one.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm

What's in a name?

Did anyone take any notice when the Bluebell became the Goat Major? Same pub, same beer etc

The pub is not moving so it'll make absolutely no difference. I cannot understand why the owner would want to change it or even moot it unless its a publicity drive :roll:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Ludicrous! Why change it at all? It's our heritage.

StT.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm

If it has to change why not remember Brian Clarke the legend :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Ridiculous post, keep it as it is ffs.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm all for keeping the name the same. Like somebody has already said people will still refer to it as the Ninian anyway.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Should not change name, no way.
It is the last part left of Ninian Park, and its name.
I would not go in there again if it changed, as it would mean nothing to me on matchday. It always used to be great meeting in there before a match. Might as well go to other pubs in future.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Sorry the Ninian park pub is all we have left of our heritage, and is synonymous with football in Cardiff, I believe the name change is egg orientated, so as not to offend that clientele and encourage more of them in. :(

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

If they change the name they will find less will use it. And to be fair most go anyway only because it is called the Ninian Park

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 pm

i hope they keep the ninian name but to say people will not use the pub if the name is changed is rubbish it will always be our pub because of its location and tradition

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 pm

carlccfc wrote:Annis and I have been in conversations with John Bassett, owner of the Ninian Park pub and of Bassett Inn's with pubs all over South Wales and London, over the last couple of days regarding the name of the Ninian Park pub, as John believes that the pub name needs to move on like the club did when it moved to CCS.

John Bassett wants to keep the tradition of the pub being associated with CARDIFF CITY FC and would like opinions on the proposed new name of 'The FRED KEENOR' pub.

John believes that the pub had a bad name for a few years and has never shaken off that tag. Annis and I have given our opinions on the idea and have been asked to put this out to the members of the forum, as John stresses he does not wish to offend anybody with the proposed name change and he will be reading the forum over the course of the next few days to see the response.

If you feel it should remain the Ninian Park or like the idea of changing the name to 'Fred Keenor' then this is your opportunity to have your input and it will be read by the owner.

The pub has undergone a makeover and wishes to attract families throughout the week and on match days and is now a family friendly pub, with good home cooking and cheap lager. Sky Sports has been installed in both the bar and the lounge and on big screens and the function room is available for hire.

What are your opinions ?

Believe me I have nothing against Fred Keenor or what he achieved when he was at City. However why change the name from Ninian Park (a ground we played at for 99 years and the last only two seasons again) to a player who last played for us in 1931? This is going backwards friends not moving forwards. But for me there is nothing wrong with our heritage so keep it as Ninian Park.

StT.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Boycott it, if they change the name.

That will ensure they retain the Ninian :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 am

Should not change. Lets keep some history. Remember our past and our future will be good, as we know where we came from

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:10 pm

If you have a opinion about the name change or you care about the pub, then use it! I went there on a number of occasions last season and it was glaringly apparent that many more fans could use it rather than spout sentiments about it while drinking elsewhere. Personally in recent seasons I have used The Lansdowne, The Corporation, The Canton Hotel, and The Ninian Parc. I dislike name changes to pubs but I'd rather that than see it close as it very nearly did, so vote with your feet I say and pay it a regular visit!

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Do many fans go there on a non match day?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 pm

They need to do cocktails.

And they need proper glasses - even hard plastic ones will do.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:39 pm

NINIAN PARK FOR ME WITHOUT A DOUBT :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Why not compromize and drop the word Park and just call it " The Ninian " ? This way we keep the tradition but maybe can move forward with this :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 pm

It really does not matter what they call it nothing will change. It would need a complete layout change with better Bars or IMO just turn it into one big room with one massive Bar. And some awsome City Memorabilia around the place. Really turn it into a Cardiff City theme Pub. As it stands its a dead duck.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:19 am

Rather than renaming whole pub why not just name the lounge and the bar parts i.e the Phil Stant bar or the Robin Friday lounge

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Do not change the name,. Perhaps if he spent more time sorting out his menu, staff and drinks then he would not have time to waste thinking about a name change.

It is his management that needs sorting, as all the name changes in the world will not mean better products/service.