Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A Few Strikers That I Think We Should Try and Sign

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 am

I really do think that we need to sign a target man who can partner Robert Earnshaw up front. There are a few players who I have listed below who I think would be great signings for us.

One player I have always rated is Nile Ranger. I hear Blackpool have made a bid for him this evening, and apparently he could be on his way there soon. I hope we try and sign him as I think that he would be brilliant in the Championship. When he played for Newcastle in this division a couple of seasons ago he was there top goalscorer and he was very, very good for them. He is the type of striker that we need and he would definitely be the type of player that Malky likes, as Ranger is a player who never stops running, is full of energy, is passionate, he is good in the air, he is very fast, he is really strong and like I said he can score goals in this division.

Another player who impresses me is Marvin Emnes, he was quality for Swansea when he was on loan with them last season and he did well when he returned to Middlesbrough after the Swansea loan. He is quick, strong, great in the air, he can hold the ball up well, he is a good finisher and he can also play on the right wing.

Also another player who I rate highly is Ishmael Miller, he is a big, strong and fast striker who can hold the ball up well, is good in the air, can score goals in the Championship and he has a magnificent left foot.

I also rate Ricky Lambert as one of the best target men outside of the Premiership. He has everything you possibly need for a target man and he can also score goals and takes a wicked free kick. However, there is no way on earth that Southampton would sell him to a rival Championship club and if they were intersted in selling him to us, would want at least £3m.

I know that he has already signed for Brighton but I would have loved to have signed Craig Mackail-Smith. Yes, the last time he was in the Championship he didn't score many goals but the guy is a brilliant player to have on your side, he works his socks off and never gives up, he would of been great for the City and he would have become a definite future City legend as the fans would have loved his commitment, fight and never say die attitude.

I know I said that we need to sign a target man but if we also want to sign another striker who is not a target man and a player who can score goals at this level then I would try and sign Danny Haynes from Barnsley. I still cannot believe that Ipswich sold him to Bristol City as he was their best striker since they had Darren Bent, and I can't believe that Bristol City played him constantly on the wing when they should have played him up front where he would of scored loads of goals for them and then they sold him to Barnsley for a ridiculous amount of £350,000. I would love to have him playing for the City as I truly do think he could be a 20-25 goals a season striker, and I would go further than that, I think if he were to play in our side with Whittingham, Conway, Gunnarsson, Cowie, etc, then I would not be surprised if he would score 30-35 goals for us. I really do have a lot of faith in him and I truly do believe that he would be a quality Premiership striker, just like Darren Bent is now, within the next few years.

There are just a few target men listed above who I think would definitely score goals for us in the Championship, if they were to play alongside Earnie and have Gunnarsson, Cowie, Whittingham and Conway, setting up chances for them.

Bloooooooooooooooooooooooooobirds

Re: A Few Strikers That I Think We Should Try and Sign

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:00 am

What about Carew,clearly very good at this level and Ched Evans avaialble from Sheffield United.
Malky seems to favour small ,fast and young players but I believe we need a couple of players with a bit of height.
Looking at those training photo,s on the official site,we are defineately in need of it.We have gone back to our Smurf days.

lol.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am

Are we writing off Jon Parkin for this season then?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:09 am

Nottage Blue wrote:Are we writing off Jon Parkin for this season then?

No way, i'm not writing Parkin off at all, I am one of Parkin's biggest fans. He is a quality striker in my opinion, I have seen throughout his career what he can do, he just has not been given a good enough chance since he arrived here. Most City fans have judged him on his contribution since he has been at the club, if they were to have seen him play at other clubs then they would realise just how good he is when he is used properly. He has got a terrific touch for a big guy and he is a quality finisher - look at the goal he scored for us at Norwich last season - and he works his arse off and never gives up. I just feel that we need a 2nd target man alongside Parkin, which would certainly fit Malky's way of thinking as he apparently wants 2 players for every position.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 am

One factual point

Nile Ranger wasn't Newcastles top scorer in the Championship.

He scored 2.

Caroll was top scorer with 19

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 am

i think DJ's reign may have left a mark in the fact people are expecting us to play a big, target man.
malky had danny graham last season but he was not used in that way at all, im hoping we can get goals by using pace, keeping the ball on the ground
i like parkin and if he's fit (which i have no doubt that he will be) he can be a plan B if nothing is going right :ayatollah:

goodwillie, bellers, earnie would be lethal... right?

i think malky may even sign someone we are not expecting

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:51 am

Nottage Blue wrote:Are we writing off Jon Parkin for this season then?

cant see him being able to perform in everygame, we def know we need another striker, im sure the club has a list lined up...

i think parkin will be used in various games depending on opposition...

i would like to see us bring in at least one bit of proven quality.... if its 10-20k a week then so be it...

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:39 am

Elwood Blues wrote:One factual point

Nile Ranger wasn't Newcastles top scorer in the Championship.

He scored 2.

Caroll was top scorer with 19

Sorry mate you are right. I don't know why I thought that Ranger was their top goalscorer that season in the Championship. Anyway, I still think that ht ewould do a brilliant job for us.