Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Post FA Cup Final Supporters

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 am

Every now and then I see posts slagging them off, and I seriously fail to understand why.

Why is it a bad thing that a fantastic run in the UK's (and arguably the world's) greatest domestic cup competition increased the fanbase of the club by so much?

That season was when I first started getting into football (I used to be a lot bigger on rugby) and i'm not even slightly ashamed to admit that what really got me supporting the club was that fantastic run, and all of the televised games that came with it (most notably our fantastic performance against Middlesborough), and that the first full season that I completely followed was the season that we finished 7th.

I'm also not afraid to admit that i've only ever been to two city games in my entire life, mainly owing to the fact that i'm a university student so time and money are a very big issue, especially money. Although I have only been to two games, and watch every televised game and follow txt updates/final/sky sports news every saturday, I would definately consider myself a real fan. I don't really care/mind if people on here think otherwise.

Thoughts?

Re: Post FA Cup Final Supporters

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 am

I have never been one of those who slag off other Bluebirds because they weren't there in the 80's, leave early or only go to a home game once a season.

If you are a Bluebird you are part of the family end of.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

I've only recently started supporting them (around 2006), and I'm 16. Before then I never really knew about Cardiff to be honest as my family supports Liverpool and I didn't have that much knowledge about anything else in football, also I live a couple of hours away and can't go and watch them often but I've only gone to see around 6 games so far and hopefully more this season :ayatollah: Make's a change to most of the glory hunters in my school that now support Swansea anyway :lol:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am

I don't think anyone has had a go at "Post FA Cup Final Supporters" to be honest. I Just think people have a go at fans when they only become City fans when we are close to promotion, or close to a cup final, or play a big team. Everyone has difficulties these days with the lack of employment in the South Wales area, and the growing price of tickets & merchandise.

I love seeing new fans down the stadium, but I like many others play sport on a Saturday afternoon. But I still get that same buzz seeing or listening to the game on the radio after I finish. Living in a Swansea Area, but with it being a Cardiff Strong Hold, we all count our selves as the same, whether you've been to 2 games or 23 games a season.

Over the past few years, I've actually enjoyed seeing the growing support our club is getting, and love the fact that I'm seeing less and less "Glory Fans" around wearing top 4 premier league shirts. We're a football team, not gangs who are at war with one another. We should respect that fact that people actually want to support us, and want to follow our results. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am

Haha, now CHANGING the team that you support just because their rivals made the prem IS disgraceful :lol:

Do you actually know any former Bluebirds who have changed their team to Swansea then,?

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 am

AfanBluebird wrote:I don't think anyone has had a go at "Post FA Cup Final Supporters" to be honest. I Just think people have a go at fans when they only become City fans when we are close to promotion, or close to a cup final, or play a big team. Everyone has difficulties these days with the lack of employment in the South Wales area, and the growing price of tickets & merchandise.

I love seeing new fans down the stadium, but I like many others play sport on a Saturday afternoon. But I still get that same buzz seeing or listening to the game on the radio after I finish. Living in a Swansea Area, but with it being a Cardiff Strong Hold, we all count our selves as the same, whether you've been to 2 games or 23 games a season.

Over the past few years, I've actually enjoyed seeing the growing support our club is getting, and love the fact that I'm seeing less and less "Glory Fans" around wearing top 4 premier league shirts. We're a football team, not gangs who are at war with one another. We should respect that fact that people actually want to support us, and want to follow our results. :ayatollah:

Totally agree mate.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 am

AfanBluebird wrote:I don't think anyone has had a go at "Post FA Cup Final Supporters" to be honest. I Just think people have a go at fans when they only become City fans when we are close to promotion, or close to a cup final, or play a big team. Everyone has difficulties these days with the lack of employment in the South Wales area, and the growing price of tickets & merchandise.

Well said. I'm glad to see that so many people think that a Bluebird is a Bluebird.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

Everyone has to start somwhere and at some time, so in 1989 I was a 'newbie' to fans who had/have been there since the 70's.

My best mate then started coming in the Division 3 Promotion Season of 1992/93, the reason that attracted him first was the big crowds, the excitement and the success, hes stayed ever since.

Does that make him a glory supporter? Of course not.

If new fans started following Cardiff during/after the FA Cup Run it can only be a good thing.

The only ones I take issue with are the ones who wont be seen again untill we get to the Premiership or another Wembley Final.

:ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

Everybody has to start somewhere, and i'm sure they have their reasons, all that matters is your supporting them! :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 am

I have been a fan for as long as I remember, but I welcome all new fans.

WE NEED THEM TO PROGRESS!!

YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 am

i got into a heated discussion at half time at the reading game with someone. he actually tried atguing the rules of the game with me (ive done a referees course) and then came up with "ive been coming to city since the 60's!"

well done mate, that just means your older than me. he did not like that one!

my old man raised me supporting man united, i saw the light in the 90's during some of the darkest times we have had, your just lucky that you caught the bug during some of our better times! as long as you support city who cares?

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 am

hooligan858 wrote:Haha, now CHANGING the team that you support just because their rivals made the prem IS disgraceful :lol:

Do you actually know any former Bluebirds who have changed their team to Swansea then,?

no, it will never happen. All i see is city shirts where ever i go.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 am

Anything that increases our support has got to be a good thing, surely? If it took an FA cup final and 2 good days out at Wembley to do so, then all the better

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 am

Happens at all club that have a successful run. Just look at the Jacks.

I never really consider how long someone has been following Cardiff. If I see them at the ground that is good enough for me.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Happens at all club that have a successful run.

Trick is keeping them

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 am

murphy wrote:
hooligan858 wrote:Haha, now CHANGING the team that you support just because their rivals made the prem IS disgraceful :lol:

no, it will never happen. All i see is city shirts where ever i go.

Nah, they may get a batch of new fans from the area who go to watch them get beat in the prem, but I doubt they will get any converted fans? Nah, won't happen. 8-)

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 am

i started supporting city when i was 9 (im 17 by the way) but only started going to watch the games after the FA Cup run but since then i've become a hard core bluebird through and through imo a fans a fan but i know people who have been to City for the season after that run and have been since the Jacks went up and bought a season ticket for the Council house those are the people i can't stand. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:29 pm

hooligan858 wrote:Every now and then I see posts slagging them off, and I seriously fail to understand why.

Why is it a bad thing that a fantastic run in the UK's (and arguably the world's) greatest domestic cup competition increased the fanbase of the club by so much?

That season was when I first started getting into football (I used to be a lot bigger on rugby) and i'm not even slightly ashamed to admit that what really got me supporting the club was that fantastic run, and all of the televised games that came with it (most notably our fantastic performance against Middlesborough), and that the first full season that I completely followed was the season that we finished 7th.

I'm also not afraid to admit that i've only ever been to two city games in my entire life, mainly owing to the fact that i'm a university student so time and money are a very big issue, especially money. Although I have only been to two games, and watch every televised game and follow txt updates/final/sky sports news every saturday, I would definately consider myself a real fan. I don't really care/mind if people on here think otherwise.

Thoughts?

the only bit i dont agree with is that youve only ever been to 2 games

fair enough about getting into Cardiff after the FA Cup run, everyone's gotta start somwhere, but for me theres no excuse for missing games, i havent missed one in over 10 years now

im not exactly well off for money myself but i prioritise, and used to put money aside for games every week and live off what's left, now i have a season ticket and again i save up all year, for the whole year, in order to pay for that

thats the difference mate, i wouldnt deny youre a real fan, but the difference between a true, loyal, diehard fan who would NEVER miss a game, and make sacrifices in order to be at every game... and those who are real fans but never go to watch them, is for me, a MASSIVE differnce

i cant even actually put into words how big i think the difference is between those 2 sets of fans, in terms of loyalty and commitment

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
hooligan858 wrote:Every now and then I see posts slagging them off, and I seriously fail to understand why.

Thoughts?

the only bit i dont agree with is that youve only ever been to 2 games

fair enough about getting into Cardiff after the FA Cup run, everyone's gotta start somwhere, but for me theres no excuse for missing games, i havent missed one in over 10 years now

im not exactly well off for money myself but i prioritise, and used to put money aside for games every week and live off what's left, now i have a season ticket and again i save up all year, for the whole year, in order to pay for that

thats the difference mate, i wouldnt deny youre a real fan, but the difference between a true, loyal, diehard fan who would NEVER miss a game, and make sacrifices in order to be at every game... and those who are real fans but never go to watch them, is for me, a MASSIVE differnce

i cant even actually put into words how big i think the difference is between those 2 sets of fans, in terms of loyalty and commitment

Fair enough that you make every game, that commands a lot of respect.

However, I also prioritise. I prioritise food, rent etc on a student's budget. I've been trying to find a job for 2 years since starting uni, with no luck, and come from a dirt poor family who would help me out financially if they could. I wish I could go to every game, but with an absolute PRICK of a landlord and not much money left after rent, circumstances simply don't allow it and I don't think that that's my fault. If I had money to save up, I would as i'm not one of these students who can afford to go out drinking etc.

However, in a couple of years time, when I do have a job, i'll be buying my season ticket. I'll see you down the CCS in a few years as I assume you'll still be there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Both my sons only supported Cardiff after the cup final.
Plastics!!!!

They werent born but thats no excuse!