Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Realistic Expectations This Coming Season

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 pm

What are the realistic expectations this season? I think realistically we cannot expect anything more than a play-off challenge this season.

The 6 sides coming into the division are much stronger than the 6 leaving. Weve got Leicester spending like money it is going out of fashion, West Ham flexing their muscles, and im sure now Brum have started the sales, they will re-invest.

Then theres Brighton and Southampton, we all know promoted sides usually have a good 1st season on the crest of the promotion wave from League one, and these two are spending 2 / 3 million on a single player.

Ipswich have invested, and Reading and Forest are usually there or there abouts so its going to be really tough this season.

Hull and Middlesborough showed in the 2nd half of the season they were getting over their relegation hangovers, albeit Boros had last 2 years!!!

Malky has done some good business with the signings so far but we have not been in the same buying league as some of our opponents. But then who knows, it might suit us, we were the side to beat last season, whereas we are now small fry in comparison this season.

I think perhaps last season were victim of the fans "This squad is the best in the division by a mile, and we should walk the league" attitude which was far from the truth if we were honest.

Hopefully this season, with DJ gone, the fans can get behind Malkay and the players, and we can get more unity at the club but to do that I think some fans need to get their expectations in check!

:ayatollah:

Re: Realistic Expectations This Coming Season

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:00 pm

You've pretty much got it there as far as I'm concerned. Let's see a change of attitude, mentality and style on the pitch and a hunger and detemination we've lacked by having too many big time charlies. Let's enjoy it!

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:35 pm

To every action there is a reaction.

The action I can see is that MM is assmebling a squad pretty close to the one he had at Watofrd when they were pushing for a play off place. So going on that alone I woukd expect us to be top 6. However the reaction is that last season league was alot easier than what this one look likes. At the moment I think it is the unknown that will decide ehow we do. After the first 10 games we will know about the unknown.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm even cautious about saying top 6 at the mo,we have no squad and the league will be much,much harder

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Top ten, a season to "bed in" the new squad. New players to add & even more old players to leave. Off the field i expect the Malaysians to take majority control of our club & conclude all historic debts. I expect the second half of the season to be interesting.
Last edited by RICK+CCFC on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 pm

if we get another 4 or 5 in, with 2 decent forwards i think top 8 would be a good season, any chance of promotion would be thru the play offs, leicester are buying the league, brum might not be as strong as people think, depending on what happens to their owner, west ham should sell parker, cole and green giving them a lot of money to spend so i reckon it will be west ham leicester top 2, brighton blackpool hull ipswich forest brum middlesboro will be fighting for a playoff spot along with us

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Think MM will be looking at Play Off spot, we are not going to be under the ridiculous pressure of last season. We could be the side that comes in under the radar, however we need a couple of big signings ie GOODWILLIE ,BELLERS to really push on. STILL THE NUMBER 1 SIDE IN WALES! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:30 pm

So guys what happens if we're in and around the top 6 come January do we flat out go for it by investing a lot in the January transfer market? I think top 6 is realistic for us this season but without the added pressure of last season and I'll be fairly happy with a top half finish although like some people have said MM will probably be targeting a play-off spot :ayatollah: