Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EREMENKO ADMITS CARDIFF CITY INTEREST

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 am

Finnish international playmaker Alexei Eremenko has confirmed: “Cardiff City want to sign me.”

But their bid could be scuppered by a big-money offer from Dubai.

Russian-born midfield player Eremenko, 28, earned rave reviews during his season-long loan with Scottish Premier League Kilmarnock in 2010-11, while he is trying to negotiate a move away from Ukrainian club Metalist Kharkiv.

Dubai club Al Ahli are keen on Eremenko, who grew up in Finland after his family moved to the country when he was young, and he says: “Al-Ahli have shown an interest. But you play, at worst, in a 45 degree heat.

“But they pay wages close to that of any top European club. A family man has to consider that.”

Eremenko, who has 52 caps for Finland, has a number of offers to consider, saying he is aware of interest from two clubs in the Championship – Cardiff City and Brighton. Rangers and Celtic have also been linked with a move for Eremenko.

“I know Brighton coach Gus Poyet is interested, while there has also been interest from Cardiff,” said Eremenko. “I don’t want to rush and regret my decision. We will see.”

Cardiff City are still working to strengthen their squad and have agreed a £2m fee for Dundee United striker David Goodwillie. That transfer is still on the cards, while the Bluebirds are among a number of clubs, including Swansea City, who would love to sign Newcastle United’s £1.5m-rated winger Wayne Routledge.

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay is working to bring in new signings, while he is delighted to have added six to his squad already with a month to go before the start of the 2011-12 season.

The latest to sign up is Plymouth-born striker Joe Mason, who completed a £250,000 transfer from his home town club and flew out to join the Cardiff squad in Spain.

Mason’s first appearance could be in their pre-season friendly against Charlton Athletic in Seville on Friday.

“He’s a smashing lad and he has got this opportunity now,” said Plymouth boss Peter Reid. “He turned down the chance to sign for Swindon Town in January to try and help the football club.”

Chris Riggott, who left Cardiff City last season because of recurring injury problems, is working to kick-start his career with home town club Derby County.

The 30-year-old centre-half will sign a one-year deal at Pride Park if he proves his fitness after a back operation during pre-season training.

Riggott made 100 appearances for Derby before he was sold to Middlesbrough in 2003. He came to Cardiff last season, but failed to make an impact.

Re: EREMENKO ADMITS CARDIFF CITY INTEREST

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 am

A great player, would be a brilliant signing imo

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 am

That interview to me spells "Money Grabbing Bast%rd". I would honestly leave him where he is. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 am

unless he lets money rule his head... bit pointless to go to the emirates playing at 28.. unless your interested in the cash more than playing..

i wouldnt get in to a bidding war on wages for him... hes looks good but again not proven at any decent league..

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:unless he lets money rule his head... bit pointless to go to the emirates playing at 28.. unless your interested in the cash more than playing..

i wouldnt get in to a bidding war on wages for him... hes looks good but again not proven at any decent league..

Agree, and from that interview - he will go where the money is. Malcky Wont have that let me tell you.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 am

He wil be playing for Leeds as a trialists on Saturday against Motherwell.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

Wayne S wrote:He wil be playing for Leeds as a trialists on Saturday against Motherwell.

is that right?

would be interesting to see how he performs..

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

Wayne S wrote:He wil be playing for Leeds as a trialists on Saturday against Motherwell.

Did a bit of research, and right you are!

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-p ... rm-switch/

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 am

from that it seems hes only interested in money... thats the russian in his blood...

i say move on....

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

poor source in my opinion
al ahli is NOT a dubai club
it is a club that plays in the egyptian league
yes it is competitive but they won't be offering as much money as he is making out
i can't see him moving there if im honest

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am

droopy wrote:That interview to me spells "Money Grabbing Bast%rd". I would honestly leave him where he is. :ayatollah:

What a ridiculous statement. He is a family man so he has to consider an offer to earn as much as he can.

What would you do?

Do you watch a film and slag off the actors because they earnt £20 million for making it?

I don't understand why footballers are singled out for criticism!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:25 am

We want players who want to play for us, and if he cant make his mind up, then we should move on.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

would love him here i think he would bring something different to the midfield
i wouldn't break the wage bill for him though so if he goes to that Egyptian club or whether so be it and lets move on
in Malky we trust :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 am

Howey1927 wrote:
droopy wrote:That interview to me spells "Money Grabbing Bast%rd". I would honestly leave him where he is. :ayatollah:

What a ridiculous statement. He is a family man so he has to consider an offer to earn as much as he can.

What would you do?

Do you watch a film and slag off the actors because they earnt £20 million for making it?

I don't understand why footballers are singled out for criticism!

Please see the statement after yours.

I only want players at the club who WANT to play for us, in the interview he basically says "I'm going where the money is". Show's to me he has no ambition to play top level football and play week in, week out. He would rather play in a shit league and earn more money.

On your other ridiculous point. If I was earning the amount of money footballers do, with the passion I have installed in me, then I would want to be the best that I can possibly be, irrespective of a couple of grand a week.

On your other quite shit point to be frank. I am a theatre/film critic so yes, actually It's kind of what I do. I go to see a film and if i think the actor is cheating me out of my hard-earned money I will say.

Also the reason that footballers are single out is because of the "Money has changed the beautiful game" phenomenon that is present in modern day football.

Happy now....