Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Boxing greats

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Who do you think is a true Boxing great ? Or who changed the face of Boxing. Put your reasons why you think the Boxer is a great ETC but only put one Boxer per post. But add as many times as you want.

Jack Broughton 1804 -1789
Jack Broughton was a bare knuckle fighter who's record shows he lost only one fight and that was when he was well into his Forties against a much younger James Figg. Jack Broughton was also know as the Father of Boxing as he implemented the Broughton Rules soon to be known as the London Prize ring rules, after a fight he had with a fighter called George Stevenson ended in tragedy, when Stevenson Died from his injuries several days later. Broughton was so devastated he bought these rules into effect and bought in the padded gloves. A true great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Boxing greats

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Julio Cesar Chavez

To go the first 87 fights of your pro career unbeaten in modern boxing is astounding, then to have as many fights in total is incredible to think people worship calzaghe cos he went 45 unbeaten.

Chavez v M Taylor

One of the greatest fights you will ever see!!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Who do you think is a true Boxing great ? Or who changed the face of Boxing. Put your reasons why you think the Boxer is a great ETC but only put one Boxer per post. But add as many times as you want.

Jack Broughton was a bare knuckle fighter who's record shows he lost only one fight and that was when he was well into his Forties against a much younger James Figg. Jack Broughton was also know as the Father of Boxing as he implemented the Broughton Rules soon to be known as the London Prize ring rules, after a fight he had with a fighter called George Stevenson ended in tragedy, when Stevenson Died from his injuries several days later. Broughton was so devastated he bought these rules into effect and bought in the padded gloves. A true great.

Yeah fair play to him, but Mike Tyson is my choice, didn't change the face of boxing but in his early 20s there wasn't a man on the planet who could live with him, and I'd say no past boxer could live with that power either.
Sad demise at the end due to that robbing b*stard King who set his rape charge up and spent his millions. Tyson did however, knock the tw*t out for his troubles. Good documentary on More 4 the other week re; Tyson. Did you see it Nukes?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:02 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Who do you think is a true Boxing great ? Or who changed the face of Boxing. Put your reasons why you think the Boxer is a great ETC but only put one Boxer per post. But add as many times as you want.

Yeah fair play to him, but Mike Tyson is my choice, didn't change the face of boxing but in his early 20s there wasn't a man on the planet who could live with him, and I'd say no past boxer could live with that power either.
Sad demise at the end due to that robbing b*stard King who set his rape charge up and spent his millions. Tyson did however, knock the tw*t out for his troubles. Good documentary on More 4 the other week re; Tyson. Did you see it Nukes?

Apart from James buster douglas ;)

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:11 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:
BEEP AHM wrote:

Apart from James buster douglas ;)

yes, but to be honest king had already got his claws into tyson by then, i agree, tyson in the 1st 5yrs of his carerer was a animal, no one could live with him, and i think if he had fought both holyfield and lewis in his prime, there would of been no contest, the way he sparked out spinks in 89 secs... awsome

i never saw anything of ali when he was around, but footage i have seen he was class

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Thing about Tyson was he had the fear factor!! He had them beat before the fight. Prime example, Trevor birbeck, his face when walking down the ring.....he was terrified, he was shaking!!! Its hard to compare but for me tyson couldnt touch Ali, Foreman, frazier, louis......

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:16 pm

I would loved have seen tyson in the era of ali,frazier,norton and foreman.Its a shame tyson's mentor died so early in his career.He probably wouldn't have gone near don king with a bargepole

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Manny Pacquiao (in the modern era)

Dedication to the sport.
Unique and brutal training methods such as getting hit with bamboo to deaden nerves in his body
His commitment to the fans and his loyalty
The number of belts he's won across a range of weight divisions
He has been willing to give rematches to tough opponents like Juan Manuel Marquez which is good for the sport
He will fight anyone who is in his way at the time and has never ducked a fight regardless of the size of his opponent
Throws acute punches from all angles which makes it ny-on impossible for his opponent to read
Very professional in his ways and respect for his opponent
Very gracious in defeat
Representing a country who adore and worship everything he does/Sets a good example for the people

Other fighters from the past

Sugar Ray Robinson
Roy Jones Junior (shame he fought on too far at an old age - such good reflexes, no other boxer had reflexes to that level)
Jack Dempsey (if you haven't seen the film then watch it, its brilliant. Obvious how much he did for the sport
Muhammad Ali (again, so obvious what he did for the sport and the list would be massive)

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 pm

You lot see Brandon Rios last Saturday?

Cracking fight. Worth watching the full fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AwCod9n2k

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Jake LaMotta

Jake LaMotta was recognized as having the best chin in boxing over the last 75 years. But there was much more to LaMotta than a granite chin.
LaMotta was a clever boxer who executed the nuances of the game with fine precision. While he was able to absorb punches with little problem, he was also adept at rolling with punches to minimize the damage. He liked to play possum in the ring, lulling opponents into a false sense of confidence before unleashing his own attack. And, perhaps above all, he had a tremendous will to win. His aggressive, unrelenting style, earned him the nickname, "The Bronx Bull"
LaMotta, began boxing at an early age when his father made him fight other neighborhood kids for the entertainment of adults. The money that spectators would throw into the ring after Jake fought would help pay the rent. After spending time in reform school, LaMotta turned to pro boxing in 1941 at the age of 19.
LaMotta was the first boxer to beat Sugar Ray Robinson (considered one of the best all time fighters by some) in 121 fights taking Robinsons amateur career into consideration.

I highly recommend you all watch the film Raging Bull if you have not seen it. Top film and an awesome fighter.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 pm

bwoodblue wrote:You lot see Brandon Rios last Saturday?

Cracking fight. Worth watching the full fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AwCod9n2k

I watched it, superb fight. I can't wait for Khan vs Judah now. I love the fact that there is always boxing through the summer which fills the football void.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Chisora V Fury

week saturday.

live on channel 5 :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Sugar Ray Robinson

Up until 1955 when he was 35 he had lost 2 or 3 in over a hundred fights. One of the best of all time they say if not the best. Well beyond my time though haha. Lost to Jake La Motta (Robert De Niro - Raging Bull) after about 50 fights but then beat him about 4 times after that.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Muhammad Ali

Great fighter in an excellent division. Lightning quick, but capable of a knockout, and a great entertainer. Had the actions to back up the talk unlike many since. Beat great fighters like Sonny Liston, George Foreman and Joe Frazier. Had beaten everyone he faced until he fought Holmes and Berbick late in his career before retiring.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Floyd Mayweather

Controversial choice I bet but I have never seen any fighter avoid getting hit like Mayweather. Has beaten great fighters like De La Hoya, Corrales, Castillo, Hatton, Marquez and Mosley, remaining undefeated in the process. And with the exception of De La Hoya has done so very comfortably. Lightning speed, Hard hit and the best defence I have ever seen in the ring. World champion in 5 different divisions. Has to fight my next post though.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

For hand speed, footwork and technical ability, sugar ray leonard has to be up there!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Manny Pacquiao

How has he kept his strength through all the divisions. His hands are as fast as I have seen and still retains a supremely hard hit. After a couple of early losses to nobodys turned himself into one of the worlds best. Has beaten De La Hoya, Barrera, Marquez, Morales (after losing the first match), Diaz, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito (who was soo much bigger than him) and Mosley. Great fighter but can't pick between him and Mayweather. They have got to fight.

Missed out so many but can't put them all. Duran, Leonard, Chavez, Hagler, Jones, Hopkins. Quality fighters.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Jimmy Wilde

Jimmy Wilde (15 May 1892 - 10 March 1969), was a British world boxing champion from Wales. Jimmy Wilde was the first official world flyweight champion and was rated by American boxing writer Nat Fleischer, as well as many other professionals and fans including former boxer, trainer, manager and promoter, Charley 'Broadway' Rose, as "the greatest flyweight ever". Wilde earned various nicknames such as, "The Mighty Atom", "Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand" and "The Tylorstown Terror"

He had a record of 137 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws and 8 no-decisions, with 100 wins by knockout, which makes him one of the most prolific knockout winners of all time, according to Ring Magazine, publication which also named him the 3rd greatest puncher of all time in 2003.
In 1990, Wilde was elected into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame as a member of that institution's original class. In 1992 he was also inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and one of his prize winning belts is part of the organisation's display.

The way he died was very sad.

In 1965, Wilde suffered a serious mugging at a train station in Cardiff, from which he never recovered.[1] His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1967,[5] and two years later Wilde died in a hospital in Whitchurch. He was buried in Barry Cemetery.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Here are a few documentaries that a wprth a look along with some Ted Kid Lewis fights. enjoy!!

The Howard Winstone Story

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UTBF83DC

Jimmy Wilde – Fighting Class

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TJ94EQ98

Tommy Farr – Fighting Class (commentary from Angelo Dundee)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BX6IWH2G

Ted Kid Lewis – 4 Fights (Basham, McCormick, Gummer, Carpentier)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S71WY0C3

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Aberblue89 wrote:Manny Pacquiao

How has he kept his strength through all the divisions. His hands are as fast as I have seen and still retains a supremely hard hit. After a couple of early losses to nobodys turned himself into one of the worlds best. Has beaten De La Hoya, Barrera, Marquez, Morales (after losing the first match), Diaz, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito (who was soo much bigger than him) and Mosley. Great fighter but can't pick between him and Mayweather. They have got to fight.

Missed out so many but can't put them all. Duran, Leonard, Chavez, Hagler, Jones, Hopkins. Quality fighters.

Personally I think Pacquiao is better than Mayweather at the moment and Floyd needs the fight more. I'll be writing up a blog post about it this week.

The fact that Floyd has won less across less weight divisions, hasn't fought outside the US and has ducked the likes of Cotto and Margarito for years means I don't regard him as highly. I respect him for his defensive game but a lot like Calzaghe, he has a good camp who do all the business for him in a way that will keep his record safe rather than fight the next best opponent possible.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Joe Louis

Joseph Louis Barrow, better known as Joe Louis, was the world heavyweight boxing champion from 1937 to 1949. Nicknamed the Brown Bomber, Louis helped elevate boxing from a nadir in popularity in the post-Jack Dempsey era by establishing a reputation as an honest, hardworking fighter at a time when the sport was dominated by gambling interests. Louis's championship reign lasted 140 consecutive months, during which he participated in 27 championship fights, 26 championship fights during his reign; the 27th, against Ezzard Charles, was a challenge to Charles' heavyweight title and so is not included in Louis' reign. All in all, Joe was victorious in 25 successful title defenses, a record for the heavyweight division.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Marvelous Marvin Hagler is my favourite fighter.
Those three rounds v Hearns are just fantastic.

Chavez was well overrated in my opinion, his record is incredibly padded.
For modern day legends...you have to tip your hat to ODH, he fought everybody who was there to fight and was robbed against Felix Trinidad.

BHop continues to amaze.
I said it then and will say it now....that was Calzaghes best performance regardless of how awkward it looked.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Totally agree with what you are saying but they have both dominated their fights recently and it just looks like a sparring session on times. I mean you could argue that Mayweather destroyed Marquez where as Pacquiao-Marquez were close fights. But then you could say the same about De La Hoya in favour of Pacquiao. Of course he is the better fighter atm but put them both in the ring and then it will be decided. If it never happens I honestly don't think either can regard themselves as the best ever, because the question will always be asked, Would he have beaten Mayweather? or Would he have beaten Pacquiao?

All the previous greats Duran, Leonard, Hagler for example fought each other and so it is easier to compare them.

I'm sure you will agree with one fact, that it is a fight that the world wants to see. Best defensive boxer v the best attacking boxer in the world. More money, more viewers, more build up than ever before. Its a fight that boxing needs rather than wants I believe. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Floyd Mayweather is undoubtedly a great fighter but his legacy will be tarnished if he doesn't fight Manny.
Too many of his fights have been against has beens never were's.

How on earth Marquez was supposed to go up in weight and compete when anything he did land would not have the slightest effect.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Sugar ray robinson is my all time fav,.
Rocky Marciano will take some topping in the heavyweight div, died undefeated...world champ... R.I.P
Sugar ray lenord, pure class.
The list is endless, mavin, hitman, Duran...brilliant...
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

I think Ali changed the face of boxing in that he made it a mass entertainment sport - I can remember as a child watching his fights with all the family gathered round - it was a real event.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:Floyd Mayweather is undoubtedly a great fighter but his legacy will be tarnished if he doesn't fight Manny.
Too many of his fights have been against has beens never were's.

How on earth Marquez was supposed to go up in weight and compete when anything he did land would not have the slightest effect.

Floyd is a great but not a legend. Pacquiao is regarded as a boxing legend and by many as GOAT. When you look at his performances and what he's achieved over many weight divisions, its very very hard to argue with.

Pacquiao will easily beat Marquez this autumn. Pacquiao is a completely different fighter compared to back then. He is faster, he is more toned, he is fitter, he can take more punches and his ability to read his opponent is much higher. Mayweather has just used Marquez as a comparison to say to Pacquaio 'I beat Marquez easy, you never' but that was 5 years ago, its ridiculous to make such a statement. Its another tactics from Floyd's camp to put the fight off.

We all want to see it, Floyd needs it more than Pacquiao but I dont think its ever going to happen unless Floyd stops throwing obstacles up. First the drugs text, Pacquiao then agrees and gives him a deadline. Then Mayweather lets the deadline pass and say he has personal issues, none of which have been resolved even yet, yet he is still fighting Ortiz :roll: Then Roach asks through a middle man to get the deal done and Mayweather comes out with more issues in relation to his uncle. Its never going to happen until Mayweather wants it too and I honestly think hes trying to bide time so Pacquiao is weaker when the fight does happen. If he fights Pacquiao now he will be fighting someone whos faster, more powerful and more resilient than two of the fighters he has had tough times against. De La Hoya and Zab Judah.

I lost a lot of respect for Mayweather when he ducked Cotto and Margarito but all these games are ridiculous. Part of me just hopes Khan flukes and knocks him out to basically ruin his entire career.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Would love to see Mayweather v pacman. For me I think that Floyd would take him apart over the course of the fight. Manny gets hits clean in most his fights whereas Mayweather very rarely gets hit, but it was clear to see that Floyd has a good chin after watching him vs mosely. Think Floyd would take it on points.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:43 pm

If you're talking about great fighters who moved the sport of boxing forward, then a man by the name of Jack Johnson (1878-1946) probably did more than most.

A black man who fought his way to the top of a white mans sport, at a time when black people were no better than animals to a lot of people. The first black heavyweight champion, who sparked controversy and race riots due to his skin colour (black men weren't supposed to beat white men see), and was over looked for many years by the boxing establishment for his outstanding boxing talent.

Jack Johnson certainly left his mark, and moved the sport forward both inside and outside the ring. Many years later he would become a big inspiration for one young, unknown, black boxer called Cassius Clay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_%28boxer%29

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm

the blue beast wrote:Would love to see Mayweather v pacman. For me I think that Floyd would take him apart over the course of the fight. Manny gets hits clean in most his fights whereas Mayweather very rarely gets hit, but it was clear to see that Floyd has a good chin after watching him vs mosely. Think Floyd would take it on points.

Depends really where the judges are from. American or Mexican judges will favour Pacquiao as he'll be the person going forward, the agressor. If its British or EU judges then Floyd will be favoured for his defensive technique and execution.

Floyd has been tagged quite a bit. Judah, De La Hoya, Mosley, Hatton even tagged him and Pacquiao is a lot faster than Hatton.

I can see Manny winning on points tbh. Manny chasing him round the ring. Floyd trying to execute the shoulder roll but as he tries to pull it off and throw off his own combinations then Manny will catch him with inside combinations. Hatton lost purely because he run out of gas and you see in his punches he was drained. The same with DLH and Judah who burnt out after about 3-4 rounds, which he was winning. Floyd set him up for his own downfall and punished him style. The thing is, Pacquiao's stamina is amazing for all 12 rounds unless he has to brawl with someone like Marquez, its completely different for Mayweather. Floyd usually relies on fighters draining themselves and then pouncing.