Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Boxing greats

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 pm

For me know its a popular choice but its got to be Ali.

Technically not the bigest heavyweight hitter of his time, But he had speed, skill and he knew how to fight fighters that were biger punchers than him.He also knew how to work the media and crowds.

Also i like that he stood up for what he believed in and didn't allow him self to be conscriped in to the Vietnam war ultimately costing him both his Heavywieght title and his boxing licence!
An other thing that not alot people dont know is that when Ail lost to Ken Norton ( Norton 12th round win on points ) Ken broke Ali's jaw in the beginning of the 11th round but Ali stuck it out untill the end of the fight! ( Makes a mockery of David Haye and his broken toe dont it :lol: )

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Sugar Ray Leonard Could box as well as fight toe to toe.
Mohamed Ali What can you say
Marvin Hagler So tough
Carlos Monzon World Middleweight Champion in the early 70,s only lost twice early in his career in over 90 fights,

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Cant believe only 1 person has mentioned the brown bomber joe louis.

In his prime he would have beaten any man from any era. FACT!!!!!!!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

For me it's got to be Ali.Brilliant all round entertainer.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Joe Bugner - very underated

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

In no particular order - The ones that i have seen enough fotoage of to comment on and have excited me over the years

Carlos Monzon, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Julio Cesar Chavez, MIke Tyson, Erik Morales, Acelino Frietas, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Lennox Lewis, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes, Manny Pacquiao

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Th@Und@D@wg wrote:In no particular order - The ones that i have seen enough fotoage of to comment on and have excited me over the years

Carlos Monzon, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Julio Cesar Chavez, MIke Tyson, Erik Morales, Acelino Frietas, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Lennox Lewis, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes, Manny Pacquiao

I would put don curry in with crowd before he started to struggle to make welterweight

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 pm

boxerbob wrote:
Th@Und@D@wg wrote:In no particular order - The ones that i have seen enough fotoage of to comment on and have excited me over the years

I would put don curry in with crowd before he started to struggle to make welterweight

Yeah up until Lloyd Honeyhgan "accidentally" beat him :lol:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Th@Und@D@wg wrote:
boxerbob wrote:

Yeah up until Lloyd Honeyhgan "accidentally" beat him :lol:

curry was strugglin at the weight before that night,he was an excellent fighter

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Carlos Monzon, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Julio Cesar Chavez, MIke Tyson, Erik Morales, Acelino Frietas, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Lennox Lewis, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes, Manny Pacquiao[/quote]
I would put don curry in with crowd before he started to struggle to make welterweight[/quote]

Yeah up until Lloyd Honeyhgan "accidentally" beat him :lol:[/quote]
curry was strugglin at the weight before that night,he was an excellent fighter[/quote]

Yeah i do agree mate, i was mocking HOneaghans win and not your choice.

Cant believe i missed Johnny Tapia off my list

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Tapia was a tough old bugger mate.

Barry mcguigan was the best featherweight in the world until he won the world title,couldn't believe how he changed once he won the world title.Would loved to seen him fight azumah nelson!

Do you remember john 'the beast' mugabi?What a hard man,he broke his hand early on against hagler but what a fight

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I was going to do Jack Johnson but someone had covered him so i move on to an Irish/Welshman Called Jimmy Driscoll.

Jimmy Driscoll 1880 - 1925

Peerless Jim was considered by some to be pound for pound one of the greatest Boxers of his time. He was born into poverty in the Docks area of Cardiff to Irish Parents. He was British/ Empire and European Champion who was extremely religious and done a lot for the Nazareth house orphanage.His record was total fights 77 won 58 losses 3 drew 6 a true great and when he died the streets of Cardiff was packed and some say 100.000 attended the ceremony. He is buried in Cathays cemetery and his gloves are in the Museum in Cardiff. If you get a chance read his autobiography called Peerless Jem.
He is a true legend :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Jake la motta was once asked who were the three toughest fighters he ever faced and he answered
sugar ray robinson
sugar ray robinson
and sugar ray robinson

says it all,robinson was a great fighter,dancer,talker and a hedonist to boot

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Jack Dempsey 1895 - 1983

Jack Dempsey was a massive hitter who was World heavyweight Champion. Controversy surrounded him but his fights produced record takings including the first Million dollar gate.In 1919 he won 5 bouts in a row knocking each out in the first round. A true legend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 pm

bwoodblue wrote:Jimmy Wilde

Jimmy Wilde (15 May 1892 - 10 March 1969), was a British world boxing champion from Wales. Jimmy Wilde was the first official world flyweight champion and was rated by American boxing writer Nat Fleischer, as well as many other professionals and fans including former boxer, trainer, manager and promoter, Charley 'Broadway' Rose, as "the greatest flyweight ever". Wilde earned various nicknames such as, "The Mighty Atom", "Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand" and "The Tylorstown Terror"

He had a record of 137 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws and 8 no-decisions, with 100 wins by knockout, which makes him one of the most prolific knockout winners of all time, according to Ring Magazine, publication which also named him the 3rd greatest puncher of all time in 2003.
In 1990, Wilde was elected into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame as a member of that institution's original class. In 1992 he was also inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and one of his prize winning belts is part of the organisation's display.

The way he died was very sad.

In 1965, Wilde suffered a serious mugging at a train station in Cardiff, from which he never recovered.[1] His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1967,[5] and two years later Wilde died in a hospital in Whitchurch. He was buried in Barry Cemetery.

If you have not read his Book then i recomend it. A trully fantastic read.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 pm

bwoodblue wrote:Jimmy Wilde

Jimmy Wilde (15 May 1892 - 10 March 1969), was a British world boxing champion from Wales. Jimmy Wilde was the first official world flyweight champion and was rated by American boxing writer Nat Fleischer, as well as many other professionals and fans including former boxer, trainer, manager and promoter, Charley 'Broadway' Rose, as "the greatest flyweight ever". Wilde earned various nicknames such as, "The Mighty Atom", "Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand" and "The Tylorstown Terror"

He had a record of 137 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws and 8 no-decisions, with 100 wins by knockout, which makes him one of the most prolific knockout winners of all time, according to Ring Magazine, publication which also named him the 3rd greatest puncher of all time in 2003.
In 1990, Wilde was elected into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame as a member of that institution's original class. In 1992 he was also inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and one of his prize winning belts is part of the organisation's display.

I was looking to see how long it would take to mention this great legend of the ring and can't believe it took so long on here. Well done mate, you are obviously very knowledgable about your sport. Toi my mind he was the greatest of them all. Weighing in with a soaking wet overcoat on was a classic of his. The 1st in a proud tradition of Merthyrs great champions.

The way he died was very sad.

In 1965, Wilde suffered a serious mugging at a train station in Cardiff, from which he never recovered.[1] His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1967,[5] and two years later Wilde died in a hospital in Whitchurch. He was buried in Barry Cemetery.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Hold on no-one has said the name of one of boxings greats yet ... A-Force "Audley Harrison" :lol:

Genius

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Aberblue89 wrote:Hold on no-one has said the name of one of boxings greats yet ... A-Force "Audley Harrison" :lol:

Genius

He was a great in the amateur ranks but as a professional he stank. He took the money of the beeb and took the piss. Fraudley was an apt name Chief :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Jack Dempsey or Jack Johnson...............................end of.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm not too knowledgeable on the greats of boxing....but I do remember a great era of boxing when I was growing up where you regularly had the likes of Nigel Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins mixing it up on a saturday night and live on BBC.....and then Mr Murdoch and Sky pay-per-view stepped in, and boxing has never been the same since :(

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:43 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Jack Dempsey 1895 - 1983

Jack Dempsey was a massive hitter who was World heavyweight Champion. Controversy surrounded him but his fights produced record takings including the first Million dollar gate.In 1919 he won 5 bouts in a row knocking each out in the first round. A true legend

Boxing Legend.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:15 am

For me Muhammad Ali without a doubt

He changed the face of boxing forever. Until he came along boxers were paid a pittance
and treated like horsemeat, he stood up for himself and told his 'handlers' that it was him
people were paying to see and that he wanted the bulk of the money. Apart from his
racist years where he HATED the white man, he has been an absolute icon and a legend
in the sport. And given that he boxed in the 60's when America still had Apartheid, you
couldnt really blame him for joining Militant Muslim groups either, he was young angry
and f**k me did America fuel that anger. Won a Gold medal for the country and was
refused entry to restaurants for being an 'uppity nigger'... so threw his gold medal off
a bridge... even that statement helped change the face of America... he brought racism
to the public perception and things changed at a rapid pace.

I love the feller

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 am

Thomas Hearns , Sugar Ray Leonerd , Marvin Hagler and Roberto Duran all good boxers but also hard as nails :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 am

Yes agreed Taffy he was a true great and he was around when there were other greats around at the same time which is very rare as all these guys were legends and would of ruled any era.
Holmes, Spinks , foreman, it was a time when the Heavyweight division was creamed of the best Heavyweight Boxers of all time, all in one era. Because of being treated to such greats I no longer have the same interest in the Heavyweights division because since that era it has been crap. And in my opinion Tyson, Lewis ,klitchco brothers, Haye, with the exception of Hollyfield would not of lived with any of those legends.
Interested to know Taffy did any one retrieve Ali's medal ?

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 am

Aberblue89 wrote:Hold on no-one has said the name of one of boxings greats yet ... A-Force "Audley Harrison" :lol:

Genius

:lol: He's spent more time on the deck than Jay Bothroyd did last season

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:30 am

Cannot believe Joe Frazier hasn't had a mention here - the guy had a permanent crooked left arm and 50% eye sight and still managed to beat the best heavyweights around (bar foreman).. He was quiet and humble and was and still is very underrated.. Not like clay who I believe to be very overrated

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

Duran, sugar ray leonard, marvin hagler... Tosup between them 3 for pound4pound greastest boxer.. Sugar ray leonard for me!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:43 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Duran, sugar ray leonard, marvin hagler... Tosup between them 3 for pound4pound greastest boxer.. Sugar ray leonard for me!

I've always looked at hagler as the all time top £4£ fighter but thats only my opinion

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm

LiamD wrote:Cannot believe Joe Frazier hasn't had a mention here - the guy had a permanent crooked left arm and 50% eye sight and still managed to beat the best heavyweights around (bar foreman).. He was quiet and humble and was and still is very underrated.. Not like clay who I believe to be very overrated

Liam you are quite right i hang my head in shame :lol:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:34 pm

LiamD wrote:Cannot believe Joe Frazier hasn't had a mention here - the guy had a permanent crooked left arm and 50% eye sight and still managed to beat the best heavyweights around (bar foreman).. He was quiet and humble and was and still is very underrated.. Not like clay who I believe to be very overrated

Liam, Muhammad Ali, or Clay or whatever you want to call him fought and beat everybody
in his era. Even when he got beat he always got back in that ring, even with Ken Norton
who broke his jaw, and Joe Frazier (who also broke his jaw) Boxing was a different entity back
then... none of this "i got a sore toe" bollocks!!... Even his sworn enemies admit he had
the heart of a lion. Over-rated?? nah.